It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the A-10's being retired soon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I believe that the expected service range for the A-10 was only until 2010, but with the war in iraq, it's a key fighter. I don't think that the A-10 will be retired any time soon. Unless they have a kick butt replacement for the A-10...

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Only if you consider 2028 "soon". They just rewinged them and gave them a major systems upgrade.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by galm 1

it'll end up like the B52, upgrade and live forever! A10's are the best tank killers / hunters with some of the best pilots ( some would suggest mental, esp. the ones i have talked to at shows )

Up the A-10's

Wee Mad Mental

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I've read they're meant to be replaced by the JSF but I honestly just don't see it happening.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
ever since i played A-10 Tank Killer on my 286 i had an affinity for the plane. i think they have a very unique style. hope they keep flying for a few more decades. =)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Yeah, we are replacing the A-10 - with the SU-25 Frogfoot. April fools! (one day late).

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
To add a little on to Zaph's post.

The A-10 is in the middle of two major upgrades right now.

A-10C Precision Engagement

Wing Replacement

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
20 years ago I was strafed by an a-10, I was stationed at FT Irwin CA, And during a daytime live fire exercise the A10s were doing strafing runs on electronically controlled plywood tank targets,
They would come in in 2 flights of 2 aircrafts, myself and another pvt were watching them do thier runs, After they made thier strafing runs they would exit back right over our heads.
We had seen f4s do bombing runs and also several other aircraft do some low level bombings and strafings so to see the a10s fly by we really weren't overly impressed.......UNTILL....
this one set of A10s flew by us and then started thier return, we watched them (as they are low and slow) line up and take a bead right on our position.. we could hear them on the com net stating that they had aquired the target,
about that time we saw a flash, the ground right beside my track(m551 araav sherridan) just exploded, the A10s flew past then we heard the guns fire, then we heard thier engines...
They are not kidding when they say that an A10 can kill you before you know it... I have left out alot of details to make this story brief.. but I am telling you all.. that the A10 has my admiration, and I think it is one Damn fine "tank Killer"!!!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Yeah the A10 has a special place in my heart too. The plane is effective and relatively cheap for a warplane. Can't beat it's combat record nor it's survivability. Didn't get the name warthog for no reason. She'll take a licking and keep on ticking. And heaven help anybody caught in the burst of that 30mm.

top topics

join