It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN's 'Big Bang' machine could destroy the planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
A giant particle accelerator that mimicks the effects of the "Big Bang" could destroy all life on Earth by sucking it into a black hole, a lawsuit claims.

And peopel are worried about a nuclear war, what about a anti-matter war?

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   

"The moon has undergone such collisions for five billion years without being devoured by a ravenous black hole or killer strangelet."

I think that pretty much sums it up. I wonder how they found an attorney to represent such an outlandish suit. There must be money involved somehow?

Do you have any info on those filing the suit other than what is in the article?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Does anyone have an update on this?

Has the switch been flipped yet?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It's paranoia. The LHC is NOT going to destroy the planet. Also, it will be activated in May.... unless crap like this somehow delays it.

Anyway, here's a link about it.... It's not going to destroy the planet.
www.livescience.com...

[edit on 2-4-2008 by GrayFox]

link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

"The moon has undergone such collisions for five billion years without being devoured by a ravenous black hole or killer strangelet."

I think that pretty much sums it up. I wonder how they found an attorney to represent such an outlandish suit. There must be money involved somehow?

Do you have any info on those filing the suit other than what is in the article?

here is an article regarding the suit...
www.telegraph.co.uk.../earth/2008/04/01/scibang101.xml
As far as i Know they have been working on this for a while...Check out the cern websit and they tell you what they are up to....

[edit on 1-4-2008 by gmac1000]

link   
Source of quote.

He may also be no stranger to lawsuits, The Register also noted, and is currently in a legal battle with the board of the World Botanical Gardens in Umauma, Hawaii, which he founded. “According to the Hawaii Tribune-Herald (free registration required), he and his wife were indicted last month by a grand jury on counts of identity theft and attempted theft relating to an alleged attempt to obtain $340,000 from the gardens company.”

This is pretty interesting. You should read the whole thing on the link provided.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Source of quote.

The indictment alleges that Walter L. Wagner and his wife, Linda M. Wagner, used deception to gain control of property worth more than $20,000 belonging to World Botanical Gardens on Sept. 10, 2004, and alleges the couple transmitted personal information from July to September 2004 with intent to commit theft.

This is a bad man I think. I'm betting that he is after notoriety so he can hit the talk show circuit and put out yet another junk science book. I could be wrong but this smells wrong.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Source of quote.

The indictment alleges that Walter L. Wagner and his wife, Linda M. Wagner, used deception to gain control of property worth more than $20,000 belonging to World Botanical Gardens on Sept. 10, 2004, and alleges the couple transmitted personal information from July to September 2004 with intent to commit theft.

This is a bad man I think. I'm betting that he is after notoriety so he can hit the talk show circuit and put out yet another junk science book. I could be wrong but this smells wrong.

CERN is backed up may the Majority of Europe and other International countries governments finacially...They won't get far with this case...However the World should be able to sue..

[edit on 1-4-2008 by gmac1000]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Source at CERN

Some 8000 visiting scientists, half of the world’s particle physicists, come to CERN for their research. They represent 580 universities and 85 nationalities.

Considering who he is disagreeing with, I don't think I'm going to loose any sleep over this one. I can't find anything on the CERN site about when they are actually firing that thing up for real.

If this suit was coming from a credible person that would be different. I know others have expressed the same fears though. I guess anything new will always create doubts and fears.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
For the most part I'm cool with CERNS. We also had fears the first nuclear bomb might start a chain reaction cataclysm. What bothers me a bit was Kakus somewhat chatty response regarding strangelets 'we throw that out their from time to time' to get a rise. It could either lead to major break throughs or the most extremely remote possibility of unexpected consequenses.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This has been covered a few times here on ATS, and the more times it is covered the better as far as i am concerned, one of the people bringing the action is a nuclear physicist and is backed by more, they claim that the math is flawed and they offer no certainty that any black holes created will dissipate, where this kind of thing is concerned.

As far as i know they do not give any guarantees that the black holes will vaporise, and that to me is bad science, we know so little about these things i think and so do many others that a lot more research has to be done first,

You just can't call this paranoia it is more than that, is it worth the chance? if they are wrong and a mini black hole does escape then that is it, we can not stop it, it will sit at the earths center and wait, wait until it eats more particles then it starts to grow, and grow, and grow, and grow. so im all for a delay on this one, better safe than well dead eh!

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I would like to know the precipitous events that led to George Noory relating shadow like critters and forms virtually 'everywhere' in Cali 4 yrs ago. I laughed. Long and hard. Until a possum shaped one showed up a week later at the backdoor to my house, pawing, pleading to be let out. A week later my neighbors moved to Florida in a few days time. Quickest move I ever saw. Wonder just what the heck they saw. I agree, we know so little about black holes in general, I think we may be tempting fate. Remember the 'tommyknockers' by Stephen King? Not tommyknockers, langaliers, if memory serves correctly. Suffer from crs. Can't remember sh**.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Does anyone have an update on this?

Has the switch been flipped yet?

it looks a bit like they are going to in may or a bit later

cite

“We’ll be starting up for physics in May 2008, as always foreseen, and will commission the machine to full energy in one go.”

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by gmac1000
A giant particle accelerator that mimicks the effects of the "Big Bang" could destroy all life on Earth by sucking it into a black hole, a lawsuit claims.

I guess we won't have to worry about Al Gore, Global Warming or Carbon Credit Trading if your prediction comes to pass. In a way, I say bring it. I have had enough of Gore's sanctimonious BS to last a lifetime.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin
This has been covered a few times here on ATS, and the more times it is covered the better as far as i am concerned, one of the people bringing the action is a nuclear physicist and is backed by more, they claim that the math is flawed and they offer no certainty that any black holes created will dissipate, where this kind of thing is concerned.

As far as i know they do not give any guarantees that the black holes will vaporise, and that to me is bad science, we know so little about these things i think and so do many others that a lot more research has to be done first,

You just can't call this paranoia it is more than that, is it worth the chance? if they are wrong and a mini black hole does escape then that is it, we can not stop it, it will sit at the earths center and wait, wait until it eats more particles then it starts to grow, and grow, and grow, and grow. so im all for a delay on this one, better safe than well dead eh!

same here mate, as the saying goes
" I know your paranoid, but are you paranoid enough"

They should get all that safety stuff up to date first before proceeding with this one

[edit on 2-4-2008 by gtirlad2]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
can they not do this away from earth, maybe wait a while?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I've heard of this scenario before. In fact, I think there is a Sci-Fi novel based on a similar premise. And although I suppose this is possible, I'm not concerned about it...I guess because if it does happen then we're ALL f*cked. And if we're ALL f*cked, then I'll just let someone else worry about it. It's the localized calamities that'll keep me awake at night.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
who do these scientists think they are?, who gave them the right the Governments , not Us the People.
so once again our Governments speak for us the People, did they ask Us NO!, have they spent the money wisely NO!.
Scientists should find answers to Starvation, Poverty,Terminal Illnesses, to name just a few.
We weren't asked to vote on this, nor is any thing a 100% safe!, and what they're doing is for Them , not Us , they have been giving to much power , and that's scary , because where will the Scientists stop?.........

new topics

top topics

join