It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill To Block Bush Attending Games

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Bill To Block Bush Attending Games

www.news.com.au

A BILL was introduced today in the US House of Representatives seeking to prohibit US President George W. Bush from attending the Olympics opening ceremony in Beijing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
This Is Because the recent tibet rioters. Bush would still wanna go he knows the only thing he should be scared of is his own goverment if it was a planned attack with most are anyway. If not i wonder who will attack if thay had to?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Update!

It was "to prohibit Federal government officials and employees from attending the opening ceremonies of the 2008 Summer Olympic Games held in communist China based upon communist China brutalising protesters in Tibet", according to a copy of the bill.

Mr Bush is planning to attend the Olympic Games in Beijing in August despite calls for world leaders to boycott the opening ceremony in protest at the Chinese government's crackdown on demonstrations against its rule in Tibet.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said she will not attend the ceremony, and French President Nicolas Sarkozy has not ruled out following suit.

Beijing said rioters killed 18 innocent civilians and two police officers so far during the protests, but exiled leaders of the Himalayan province say between 135 and 140 people were killed in the Chinese crackdown.

Source

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
How lame.

If they don't want him to go, then cancel the damned thing as should be.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LockwithnoKey
How lame.

If they don't want him to go, then cancel the damned thing as should be.

U mean the Olympics cancel? i dont mind it i watch swimming and stuff
i go for my country IRAQ and also australia

apc

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Uhhh... last I checked... as big a douchebag as he may be... the President is a free person just like anyone else [is supposed to be]. Is this what we've elected our representatives for? To tell a citizen "You can't go to that party because we don't like the fraternity!"

Just when you think Washington can't possibly get any dumber...

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I just personally think that the games should be called off and relocated

The competition is based in freedom and democracy. China as a host just don't quite fit in my eyes.

But, guess I'm not competing, so oh well....

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LockwithnoKey[/i

The competition is based in freedom and democracy. China as a host just don't quite fit in my eyes.

The Olympics have, as far as I know, NEVER been about freedom and democracy. It has always been well-represented by nations with totalitarian governments, monarchies of various ilk, dictatorships and horribly repressive regimes, from the Soviet Union to Nazi Germany to China. The purpose, I think, is to bring sportsmen/women together in a spirit of friendship...beyond the yoke of politics. No reasonable person will think the U.S., France or germany support Chinese repression simply because their elected officials attend the Olympic opening ceremonies. The Olympics are an aspiration, not a political forum.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by Verum]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
In a way this seems like a good way to bring attention to the fact that China's government is causing all sorts of evil on Tibet. But...

I agree that this is infringing on personal liberty. Which shouldn't even matter cuz Bush should be in prison
But whatever, it's the premise i'm talking about

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Uhhh... last I checked... as big a douchebag as he may be... the President is a free person just like anyone else [is supposed to be]. Is this what we've elected our representatives for? To tell a citizen "You can't go to that party because we don't like the fraternity!"

Just when you think Washington can't possibly get any dumber...

Thats true ay i dont understand why thay shouldent let him go in a way thay should because the ppl did elect him and do support him now still? If china wanted to put a stand thay should say we dont like him dont come here and see what happens ?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Sheesh!

Doesn't the House have more important things to be doing? :bnghd:

Like opening impeachment hearings against this whole corrupt administration!?!

Star for you, apc, they're ALL a bunch of two-faced douche-bags!

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
So a certain few people in Congress have nothing better to do than propose bills to try to block the President from attending these games? If you ask me thats kinda lame. It would be nice to know whos sponsoring these bills, 10 bucks its the Democrats.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Tough stuff to find!!! THOMAS at the Library of Congress helps... there are a number of resolutions, funny but these were actually introduced long ago. HR 608 back last August was introduced by Rorbacher (Rep) of California in HRES 608 IH then two days later HRES 628 IH was submitted by Waters (dem) of Cali with Dana Rorbacher (Rep) as co-sponsor. The news clips say 14 Dems and one Republican as co-sponsors or something.

I checked the record for the last several days sittings. I think the Resolution in question is 628. I could be wrong. I don't have an opinion either way and I'm not from the US.

Speak'

[edit on 1-4-2008 by SpeakEasyOne]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It is amazing, isn't it, that Congress won't touch bills to address health care, the war, the massive deficit, the Social Security and Medicare meltdown, and a myriad of other important issues, but they have time to debate bills like the one mentioned. It's good to know that Congress is working hard at hardly working.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LockwithnoKey
I just personally think that the games should be called off and relocated

But, guess I'm not competing, so oh well....

Your right but it isent a place u want to hold a Olympic games .AU was a very nice place wene thay held the 2000 olympics thats were i am from it wasent bad and i cant remember were the last one was? was it greece?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Verum

Originally posted by LockwithnoKey[/i

The Olympics have, as far as I know, NEVER been about freedom and democracy. It has always been well-represented by nations with totalitarian governments, monarchies of various ilk, dictatorships and horribly repressive regimes, from the Soviet Union to Nazi Germany to China. The purpose, I think, is to bring sportsmen/women together in a spirit of friendship...beyond the yoke of politics. No reasonable person will think the U.S., France or germany support Chinese repression simply because their elected officials attend the Olympic opening ceremonies. The Olympics are an aspiration, not a political forum.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by Verum]

Well i know the players will know about friendship Peace and freedom but not the goverment thay will never want freedom its wierd y thay dont and wene thay do its not so good ending but it is a game witch brings together countrys i cant wait to see my country IRAQ in the Olympics i just wanna see how many ppl will be in it its unfair to my country because the others have so many people.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
In a way this seems like a good way to bring attention to the fact that China's government is causing all sorts of evil on Tibet. But...

yehhasent chines goverment don so much that the people are like out of control? or is that korea? comunist country i think i rember?

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
I agree that this is infringing on personal liberty. Which shouldn't even matter cuz Bush should be in prison
But whatever, it's the premise i'm talking about

It would be awsome if the opening ceremony was GW Bush in a lil prison cell comming from the roof and everyone is laughing

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by goosdawg
Sheesh!

Doesn't the House have more important things to be doing? :bnghd:
Like opening impeachment hearings against this whole corrupt administration!?!

True ay like bringing peace to countrys or something usefull not waisting time on something like this Media over nothing i swear this world has become blind

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
It is amazing, isn't it, that Congress won't touch bills to address health care, the war, the massive deficit, the Social Security and Medicare meltdown, and a myriad of other important issues, but they have time to debate bills like the one mentioned. It's good to know that Congress is working hard at hardly working.

yeh there is alot of things thay could work on alot more then mentioned also america needs fixing thay dont take much care for the people SPECIALY in medicare.

It could allways be a plan maybe a big setup not to allow him so something can happen and america can go to war with china or some other asian country maybe?.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SaadAdam

I usually don't respond to such debates, but I have been making a habit as of late.

Bush is a representation of the American people. So, since he is Americas representative, if the American people feel that Bush going to genocidal china is a bad thing, and they do not want one man representing 300 million people, than by all means, do not allow him go. America has stood for freedom and democracy, and has even fought in the "name of democracy," wouldn't it make America a hypocrite just a bit, if it were to somehow condone these genocidal actions by the Chinese government, if Bush were to go?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join