It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zulu Dawn and Zulu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I've seen both Zulu Dawn and Zulu, two movies based on real life battles in the Anglo-Zulu War of 1979. Zulu Dawn was about the Battle of Isandlhana, and Zulu was about the Battle of Rorkes Drift, and had a young Micheal Caine in it. I thought both movies were well done and as historically accurate as most movies go. I am wondering if anyone else on ATS/BTS has seen both movies and if they could also say what they thought of the movies.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Wally Conley

lol, we were brought up with those movies - they used to be on at least once during the christmas/easter holidays.

Both great movies, although I prefer the one with michael caine - trying to be frightfully posh.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Sorry to burst your bubble Wally, but Hollywood never could get a British film right and 'Zulu' is no exception

The Battle of Isandlhana [Zulu Dawn] where Cetchswayo slaughtered us Brits, was bang on. Although I have enjoyed the film 'Zulu' at least ten times, the film has so many historical and factual flaws, that it is almost laughable.

The mission at Rorke's Drift was defended by 'B' Coy, 24th Regiment of Foot, together with a full Coy from the Natal Native Contingent. There was also a single gun/howitzer.

The Mission at Rorke's Drift was fortified before the battle by Acting Assistant Commissary James Dalton who ordered a barricade built using 200lb bags of maze & corn.

Lt Chard also ordered a second fire wall to be built, [it] being constructed with biscuit boxes.

Mr Otto Witt was not a drunk and as a Missionary did, prior to the battle, exercise his right and left the scene, leaving the pastor George Smith to tend the dead and dying.

The Zulus started their attack at about 1630 in the afternoon. After an hour of intense close quarter fighting, they had been forced to take cover in some dead ground about 50 metres from the hospital. From this position, they were able to set fire to the thatched roof by throwing burning brands into the air.

There were about 25 to 30 patients in the hospital. These were defended by just six men, including Henry 'Harry' Hook.

Henry Hook was depicted as a drunken malingerer. Nothing is further from the truth. His family was given a written appolgy some 20 years after the film was made, but only when court action was taken in the US.

The majority of the battle was fought at night - a minor point but one that Hollywood obviously thought was not box-office material.

At the height of the film, we see Michael Caine [Bromhead] command the defenders on the mealie bag ramparts, ordering volley fire against swarming Zulus.

Look closely and you'll see bolt action Lee Enfield rifles being used by the rear ranks. Bit too early for them, I think!

After the battle the Zulus assemble on the hill and sing to the valiant defenders at Rorke's Drift. Nothing is further from the truth.

Just as dawn was beginning to break, Zulu scouts reported Lord Chelmsford's releif column approaching. The Zulus just left the battlefield in good order.

Another myth is that the 24th Regiment of Foot was a Welsh regiment. It was not. Originally, the 2nd Battalion 24th Regiment of Foot, were the 2nd Warwickshire Regiment.

Only 32 Welshmen defended Rorke's drift, alongside 49 Englishmen, 16 Irishmen and 1 Scott - which led to a very famous line in the film:

"This is a Welsh regiment, although there are some foreigners in it mind".

new topics

join