It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexuality is Not Condemned by Christianity (Proof from the Bible!)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If it were proven that homosexuality was a chosen path, then I would agree that passages from the bible like Romans 1:24-1:27 definitively say that homosexuality is unnatural, but that has yet to be proven. It is my belief at the moment that homosexuality is caused by genetic factors. Studies are still inconclusive on what causes homosexuality.

Also, I was not comparing what the bible says or does not say about race and sexual orientation. I was comparing the act of being able to stand up for something that you yourself aren't affected. Things such as discrimination based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

I was saying that I do not have to be gay to realize what's right, just as whites did not have to be black to understand that discrimination against them was wrong.

[edit on 4/2/2008 by InterestedObserver]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Brother,

I seem to be not communicating effectively. I am not truly debating whether or not homosexuality is natural or not. It makes no difference. Our natures are sinful regardless of sexual orientation. God does not discriminate against homosexuality. Nor do I. God says all men are wicked and sinful. We are all equal in our inequity. I am no better than anyone else. BUT, I have chosen to accept Jesus repented of my sins. Therefore I am sanctified in the eyes of the Lord. Everyone has the same opportunity there as well.

I know this has been posted already but I am putting it here so we can closely examine it.

Ro 1:18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness,
Ro 1:19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.
Ro 1:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
Ro 1:21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.
Ro 1:22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools
Ro 1:23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
Ro 1:24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.
Ro 1:25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
Ro 1:26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones.
Ro 1:27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
Ro 1:28 Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done.
Ro 1:29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips,
Ro 1:30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents;
Ro 1:31 they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.
Ro 1:32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only (NIV)

You have stated (falsely I might add) that this passage refers to pagans and idolaters. You accused other Christians of misquoting it by not presenting the whole passage. But you sir are guilty of the same. Your quotes only go back to verse 21 but in order to get the full "thought" out of the passage you need to look at the rest of it. Verse 18 seems to be applicable to this situation. This passage does not only refer to the people you stated but all people who pursue immorality. The pagans were not the only ones who were godless. And all people who chose our sinful nature over Gods will are idolaters. Anything can be an idol if it draws your attention away from God.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by InterestedObserver

I'd appreciate if you wouldn't use quotes to give the impression that I said something that I very much did not write.

I accept that I was not clear enough in explaining how you clearly implied that your teaching is above Christ's. Sorry, I apologise. Second attempt.

You said:

There's no possible way to change the minds of the fundamentalists unless Jesus himself came down to Earth and told them the true Way.

Fundamentalists by definition accept and teach all that Jesus taught. Yet you desire to change their minds, plus you assert that Jesus, on revealing himself now, would: rebuke those who accept and follow his already extant teaching, contradict it, and tell them to follow yours instead!

I don't believe you realised that was the implication, I assume you hadn't thought through what you were saying.

Yet perhaps not. You went on to say:

I did claim that the bible, after 2000 years of being handed down and handed down, translated and retranslated, is definitely going to have edits that were made to reflect the times, or the wishes, or the feelings, of people in positions of power (such as in the Catholic Church).

What you are suggesting is that the Bible needs to be changed, as its plain teaching on the sinfulness of all sexual relations outside lifelong male-female marriage doesn't accord with your modern views. Don't try and deny it - its clear from your own words that you have such an agenda.

I quote you again:

I seriously believe that Christianity is in need of some serious reform.

Clearly it needs your 'wisdom'; the teaching of the prophets, apostles and the very Son of God somehow falls short. I know you are not alone in such beliefs. There are many who call themselves 'Christian liberals' and love the patter of the applause of respectable intellectual society that comes from questioning the authority of what the Bible says.

As I have already shown, Christ exposed the liberals of his day, the Sadducees, and the intellectual nit-pickers of the day, the Pharisees, to open ridicule and the severest warnings in his teaching. Anyone who wants to see an example only need read Matthew chapter 23.

Even then he added a note of tender mercy, inviting a change of heart yet again. Likewise I am not against you. I challenge you not to hide behind the wall of authors you look up to. When they reject the words God gave the authors of Scripture they reject Him. Jesus said: "The one who rejects me and doesn't accept my sayings has this as his judge: the word I have spoken will judge him on the last day". (John 12:48)

These are serious issues, with eternal consequences. Let no-one seek to gainsay another in this debate about homosexuality in place of an honest-to-God effort to say no more and no less than what God himself has said in the Scriptures. Lest they be found false witnesses.

[edit on 2/4/08 by pause4thought]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join