It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Hour 2008 - The Results!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
As a follow up to my original post about Earth hour, I thought I would start a new thread making it easy for you to see and post the results and statistics for Earth hour 2008. Well done to everyone who took part

Here's what I have found so far...

All the numbers aren't in yet but Toronto Hydro reports a drop of 264 Megawatts in the city, which is approximately 175,000 households.
WWF Canada
More from Canada

MANILA, APRIL 1, 2008 (STAR) By Katherine Adraneda Tuesday, April 1, 2008 The one-hour lights off in observance of Earth Hour last Saturday has enabled the Philippines to save at least 56 megawatt hours (MWh) of energy, according to data culled by power company Meralco and the Worldwide Fund for Nature (WWF).
Phillipines

Earth Hour asks residents in participating cities to switch off lights and non-essential electrical items for one hour at 8pm local time to rally public opinion about the carbon emissions from the burning of fossil fuels that scientists blame for causing global warming. More than 3,500 businesses across the world agreed to turn off their lights during Earth Hour 2008.
Sydney

Please post any stats you come across and also if you were in a public place that took part etc.

I would just like to say :p to the people who were against it and thought it was a waste of time. This is what it takes to get people talking about some matters and I have a feeling that next year will be even bigger!
Thanks

50/50

[edit on 1-4-2008 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I don't have any stats for you. But I am glad you posted this because I was wondering if this had any effect. Sounds good so far.

I am wondering if maybe this can become a weekly ritual?

Maybe people can start having earth hour street parties once a week on saturday nights. Turn the lights out, set up a few in the streets and the neighbors can hang out with each other.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
One thing I'd like to see is the whole DAY'S worth of electricity consumption for each of those areas ... and that number compared to recent days and monthly/yearly averages.

In other words, was it really beneficial overall? Or did powering things down/up actually end up consuming the same or even more electricity than saved during that hour?

But I'm sure no one will be willing to share that data even if they have it haha.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I would like to make Earth Hour a regular ritual at my house.

I have no stats either but did have a very enjoyable evening. My SO and I had a candle lit dinner that we cooked on the grill outside. After dinner we sat and talked in the candle light well past the one hour we allotted for Earth Hour.

It felt good to know people all over the world were celebrating with us. For just a little while we were young again and fighting for a cause. We are both over 60.

I must admit it was very romantic too with the light from the candles flickering in each others eyes.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
IMO this just goes to show how much energy we consistently waste simply because we can afford to do so - the result of decades of wealth and decadence.

If we all cut our energy useage and big companies followed suit we'd have more money to spend on other things (boosting the economy) and company overheads would be lower (increasing profits or allowing for price cuts or wage rises)

Win, win, win

top topics

join