It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MV-22B Osprey heliplane?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
What is the current status of the Osprey? Will it ever come to fruition? Or will it end up in the pile of "far-fetches" just like the Comanche did today?

I see it as a far more realistic program than the Comanche, but the whole V/STOL thing in it's rotors is very sketchy.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Excuse my ignorance is this the project with numerous crashes and lost lives attached to it?

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
No, there were only two crashes and was fixed. the production craft are being built. Its peretty amazing that any more craft didnt crash, if you look at the history of stovl craft.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
www.zpub.com...

Osprey Deaths

30 deaths, 3 accidents 1992-2000

7:30 p.m December 11, 2000

Try doing more research Ronii.

www.defenselink.mil...

people.howstuffworks.com...

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by SpittinCobra]

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The Navy uses it I think its used alot in reconn missions etc.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Ok, I guess I'll stick my nose into this conversation.

(Date: Feb. 24, 2004 @ 10:20am ET) A quick call to a Boeing/DoD liason netted the following information:

Currently the V-22 Osprey is only being delivered to the U.S.M.C. Helicopter Test and Evaluation Squadron 22 (VMX-22) based out of MCAS New River, North Carolina and commanded by USMC Col. Glenn Walters.

VMX-22 is still doing test flights and will continue to do so throughout FY 2004 with Boeing and Bell engineers tweaking as they go along.

Test flights involve ship landings in adverse conditions/inclement weather (on the USS Bataan), icing tests in Nova Scotia and evaluating landing and low flight characteristics in the close proximity/turbulence of other rotorcraft such as H-53's & H-46's.

This revised version of the Osprey is quite safe and has seen several US Senators taking rides in it over the DC area.

FY 2005 has been set for the official OPEVAL (operational evaluation) and if all goes well the Osprey may begin entering the fleet officially late in 2006.

The Osprey is due to replace the CH-46 Sea Knight & MH-53J Pave Low helicopters.

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by intelgurl]

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Great info as always. Thanks alot. Great new avatar also.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
i still cant belive they canceled the commanchie and not that ugly looking death trap osprey thing.... god propeller's i could have sworn this was the 2000's propeller's were so 1900's.... well ill say it ahead of time ... if that thing gets produced. my depest sympathie's go out to the family's of the men who have to fly in that deathtrap

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
since when did cancell the comanche??

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriskaos

The army did.

www.voanews.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
And according to 23 Feb 04 Air Force Times the '05 Defense budget funds 3 for the Air Force Special Ops types! All revolutionary changes in weapons systems take time.

I concur on the new avatar also, Intel! I need to get one.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Originally posted by Kriskaos

The army did.

www.voanews.com...

My mouth is open! cancel the comanche??? This is an outrage!! the V-22 is so god damn expensive it dwarfs the comanche budget wise, and they cancel the commanche??? Pure stupidity! PLus the commanche is a revolutionary aircraft, unlike the V-22 it is more manuverable and CAN ACTUALLY SAVE LIVES NOT KILL EM! Err im so frustrated, well wut can we do?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The Air Force version of the V-22 is currently being tested at Edwards. This is planed to replace the Air Force ch-53 in SAR (search and Rescue) and special Ops group out of Hurlbert Field in Fl.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
While i also have a huge love of the Commanche and am very sorry to see it go, they do have a point, UCAVs are just as close to operational status (actualy if you want to consider the predator they ARE operational) and would far better serve the Armed Recon Role.

HOWEVER, the armed recon role wasn't the only role the Commanche was meant to serve, it was also going to replace the Apache, Providing close support for the ground troops, I think the numbers being procured should have been cut, but i dont agree with the program being entirely canceled.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Obviously, the Osprey is a far more realistic project than the Comanche.

Let's assume the Osprey is operational. What do you think it's effectiveness will be? I for one think it's V/STOL system is highly dangerous.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Holy smokes! Comanche cancelled? Wonders never cease! So they're sticking with the ugly old Apache, then?

I remember some general saying that the Comanche will be the last attack helicopter used by the army (he jokingly mentioned antigrav as the next thing).

I think this means that the Army wants hardware NOW, for something BIG, just like that smelly tanker deal for the USAF. What does everybody else think?

I don't think the V/STOL system is a problem on the V-22. Big props sending lots of air over the wings, so you'd have a low stall speed. Plus you can glide in an emergency (not well, I think), which you can't do in a chopper. And if you lose an engine in flight, you can still fly - not like with a chopper's tail rotor going, whipping you round like a merry-go-round on speed.

[Edited on 2-3-2004 by Lampyridae]

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Most of the money for Osprey,Commanche etc are being funneled into UAVs

X-45A

The four-blade Hummingbird A160 vertical takeoff and landing unmanned aerial vehicle

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I once witnessed the test flight of one of these while I was on Patuxent River Naval Air Station in Maryland. This was years ago, but I remember the flight like it was yesterday. The thing is amazing. The security is very tight, even Naval personnal who got to close, were held at gun-point by the Marines, on orders to Shoot-And-Kill. It's a real shame about all of the delimas it has faced since it began operating. I hope it will be put into mainstream use however. A Helicopter is tricky enough to fly, just imagine the difficulty flying the Osprey. The pilots who fly them, haven't been flying them for all too long, just give them, and it, some more time.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The MV-22 will be coming out. It is needed to replace aging designs and airframes.

top topics

join