It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Colonization on Mars in 2014?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
From my friend: Olaf Pliros

So, starting in 2014, Virgin founder Richard Branson and Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin will be leading hundreds of users on one of the grandest adventures in human history: Project Virgle, the first permanent human colony on Mars.

www.google.com...

[edit on 1-4-2008 by Gazrok]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Yeah, I doubt that it will be for 2014, if anything it will be added on by like 20 years or so,

Lava Tubes - You can be passionate about Mars, but use protection. Dried lava tubes provide a cheap (okay, free) way to shield Virgle's expensive equipment (and even more expensive humans) from radiation, temperature extremes, wind storms and the like.

LOL, I Doubt the lives are more expensive than equipment to them aswell.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
virgin interactive is planning space tours in a few months may be after a decade a peramnet colony on mars wont be such a difficult task cant wait

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Our peers are laughing!!! Good one Gazrok!

"Google and Virgin announce Mars expedition and colony"

I LOVE the FAQ number 11 and the link at it's bottom: "What, you doubt us? Well, yes -- Virgle is real."

Excellent!

Speak'

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by OMFGitsJack
LOL, I Doubt the lives are more expensive than equipment to them aswell.

I wouldn't doubt that...Even the U.S. Airforce encourages its fighter pilots to eject when things start going wrong, rather than try to bring their jet in safely -- they claim the pilot is more valuable than the plane. I'm sure the same would be true for "Virgle" astronauts as well.

Having said all that, I'm quite convinced this is just an April Fool's prank. I don't doubt that Sir Richard Branson would one day want to go to Mars, but there's no way he's doing it in 6 years.

[edit on 4/1/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Does this mean that annoying Richard Branson will leave Earth permanently and become Emperor of Mars? I'd donate a few bucks to make that happen.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It's all in the name of my source: Olaf Pliros

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
It's all in the name of my source: Olaf Pliros

Remember Sports Illustrated's article on "Sidd Finch", the Bhuddist monk turned baseball pitcher... The subtitle for that story was “He’s a pitcher, part yogi and part recluse. Impressively liberated from our opulent life-style, Sidd’s deciding about yoga...” The first letter of each of the words in that subtitle spells “H-a-p-p-y A-p-r-i-l F-o-o-l-s D-a-y.

Then there was the story in Discover Magazine about the "Hotheaded Naked Ice Borer" which was said to be able to melt ice with a hot bone in its head "faster than a Penguin can waddle" (as quoted from the magazine). The discoverer of this creature? Dr. Aprile Pazzo, a name which is Italian for "April Fool".

But my favorite has to be the BBC documentary made one April fools day back in the 1950s about the Swiss Spaghetti tree harvest. They went as far as to actually show footage of Swiss women picking the "Ripe" spaghetti from the "spaghetti trees"

[edit on 4/1/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Yep, people wanted to know how to grow their own trees!

The BBC replied, plant a stick of spaghetti in a can half-filled with tomato sauce....of course....

I remember actually trying to research the hot-headed ice-borer when I found out about it (and it wasn't on April Fools....lol) It was just leftover net flotsam from an earlier prank....

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I remember actually trying to research the hot-headed ice-borer when I found out about it (and it wasn't on April Fools....lol) It was just leftover net flotsam from an earlier prank....

I have a soft spot in my heart for April Fool's jokes that mutate far beyond all logic and take on a life of their own. Any obvious joke or prank, really. Even though I'm annoyed by people who still pop up referencing "Alternative 3" as if it was the real deal, I am kind of fascinated by its durability.

new topics

top topics

join