It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truckers line up to protest fuel costs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Truckers line up to protest fuel costs

www.wesh.com

Authorities in Tampa are working to keep traffic moving as dozens of truckers lined up to protest the rising cost of fuel.

Police said they're working to keep traffic moving near the Port of Tampa, where the big rigs are gathered. It's happening along 22nd Street near the causeway at McKay Bay.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related Threads:

Truckers ‘going broke’ and threatening to strike
National Trucker Strike

[edit on 1-4-2008 by jhill76]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
For people that said it wouldn't happen. It looks like it is all starting to come in place.

www.wesh.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It started in Harrisburg PA and in Maine. CNN this morning did a report on Forest Park GA (south side of Atlanta). This is the first I have heard of Tampa.

Yes, it seems to be happening, but as I pointed out on another thread, this is not a strike! It is a protest, and one I agree with. I don't intend to shut down, however.

If I were independent, I probably would. But I drive for a dedicated account. My company would lose that account should too many drivers shut down. Those drivers would lose their jobs, along with the ones that kept running. Another company would pick up the account, and nothing would change.

J.B. Hunt put out a message to all the fleet yesterday that they would not be participating in any protest/strike/shutdown/what-have-you, although they support the cause of the owner-operators. The high fuel prices are hitting everyone hard. I do the best I can to help by getting fuel at the cheapest stops, but I still see prices that would give me an aneurysm if I were paying that bill.

In the last attempted strike in the 90s, several punks (most weren't even involved in the industry) decided to 'help' by throwing rocks off overpasses onto trucks. A few fired shots at trucks. A few drivers died. Today, I will be leaving on my regular run, to perform my job in an attempt to feed two young children who have a bright future ahead of them. I hope that I return safe and sound tomorrow night, to continue to help them toward that future. To anyone who wants to 'help' this year, please don't.

I am saying prayers for all my driver friends, as well as for myself. Should anyone else wish to join me, it will be appreciated.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Yep, and from what I understand, the big corporations like Wal-Mart, et cetera, are going to be following suit as of April the 3rd. This could get real ugly, real fast. I suggest people start stocking up on essentials.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Just out of curiosity, and I am not doubting you, do you have any links to this protest to be held by those large corporations?

I'd like to know how serious it really is and whether I truly should stock up on some things before prices go up because of it.

--

The Redneck: You will be in my thoughts, stay safe!

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

You got a link for that? or where did you hear it?

I can't see WalMart joining in, since their drivers are generally pretty happy and they would quickly have to close their stores. Most department stores (including the evil W) depend on at least one truck a day to keep their shelves stocked. There's not much in reserve stock.

This could get REALLY serious if you're right.

edit to add: reply to post by niteboy82
Thank you. I'll be watching the overpasses.

TheRedneck

[edit on 1-4-2008 by TheRedneck]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Honestly, a buddy of mine was telling me that he heard it on the news... I don't have any first hand information on it, no.. All I know is that if it is true, this is a serious situation and could lead to a multitude of problems. Of course, the buddy I heard this from tends to over react to and misunderstand information. So...

In my opinion, something like this is overdue...

[edit on 1-4-2008 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I've been slowly stocking up and socking some extra cash as well, just in case... ever hear of a "bank holiday"? In this day and age, that would include credit based transactions as well, I'm sure.

I support these guys 100% and we should all stay home "in protest" if we can.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Whew! You had me real worried there.

I guess it should be no secret... I haul for Target. I'll ask them when I check in today if there's any corporate rumblings in this area. I'll be back (rocks and bullets excluded) tomorrow night. I'll post what I find out.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

I support these guys 100% and we should all stay home "in protest" if we can.

Staying home in protest is a fine idea! I just can't stress enough, don't get violent! These drivers are just trying to do their job.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Why the hell would people attack truckers?!!! The truckers are doing it for everyone else as much as themselves. Stupidity knows no bounds. Or was it truckers attacking other truckers who wouldn't strike? (Still stupid.)

TheRedneck. Best of luck on your runs through this crisis.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Yes, please be careful out there.
I keep seeing flashes of LA and that poor trucker being pulled from his rig all those years ago.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

decided to 'help' by throwing rocks off overpasses onto trucks. A few fired shots at trucks. A few drivers died.

Thats horrible! I do wish you the best.. And hope it doesnt come down to that agin.. Honestly while I drive my car on any highway, freestate roads, Im always watching those overpasses! Thats one of my bigger fears.
Ive heard about this, and its really freakin dangerous to throw a rock at a moving truck going 60-70 MPH. Its very deadly, and yes it has caused much death.
Anyone driving on the roads, please be watchful of those overpasses, and if you see anyone, or anything up there.. CALL it IN!!!!

Dont wait until someone has to die.. Its just very important to know there are sick puppies out there that will be doing this.
Makes me sick to know that.. But just wanted to come and show my support here and hopefully offer that advice.. See anyone on the overpass. Call it in!! If you have a CB warn others!!

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
jackinthebox: It was a few truckers last time, but mostly people who were mad for one reason or another (maybe they couldn't buy a new TV because the store was out?). Either way, as you stated, violence will lead to nothing except more violence. Stupidity at its finest.

My thanks to you and to shadow watcher. I'll freely admit, I'm worried. Those trucks are big and powerful, but not designed for sudden failure. One brick could equal a lot of people having a very bad day.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
www.comcast.net...

By TOM HESTER Jr., AP
2 hours ago

TRENTON, N.J. — Independent truckers around the country pulled their rigs off the road and others slowed to a crawl on major highways in a loosely organized protest of high fuel prices.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I live between Carlisle, Pa (where the convoy started), and Harrisburg. The trucks started at the Gables on the Carlisle Pike, then proceeded in the outside lane of I-81 North in line at between 40-45mph to Harrisburg. For the most part, the surrounding "four-wheelers" pretty much behaved themselves.

The real fun started when the trucks encircled the state capital, and clogged up the downtown/capital area. It may STILL be clogged.

I can't estimate how long the convoy was, but it was BIG.

[edit on 1/4/08 by cbianchi513]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by cbianchi513

I know the place, across the street and down a bit from the Petro. Do you know if it was bobtail, or did they have trailers? The quick report on CNN this morning mentioned bobtails.

And knowing downtown Harrisburg, I bet it will be days before things are back to normal. Not exactly a truck-friendly area.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cbianchi513

Any chance of getting some photos of that? What a mess it would be, but such is the way these days it should be.

I'd love to see more happen, but as others have said, please don't get violent. It only causes more troubles. :shk:

TheRedneck, that would be interesting to see if there is any rumbling going on. I don't know anyone around here that is associated with the union, so I couldn't get info if I wanted to.

SoT, Who knows, it may be legit. That would be really huge though if we actually see NWOMart trucks stop.

Time to plant some extra veggies I guess.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Ok, maybe I'm dumb, but the truckers are protesting the gas prices by not delivering, how is this not a strike? Don't get me, wrong, I am completely behind truckers one million percent, but I'm confused as to how this is not a strike, and how it will affect truckers in the south where there is no union to protect their right to strike?

Also, since the truckers are protesting gas prices, does this mean gas trucks won't be delivering either? Oh the mayhem that would ensue if that happened.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by Finn1916]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I just checked WHTM.com and WGAL.com (central PA television stations) and saw no mention of this. I'm hoping it gets more attention than this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join