It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gorbachev says U.S. missile defense is against Russia and China, not Iran!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Gorbachev says U.S. missile defense is against Russia and China, not Iran!

www.freedomradio.us

PRAGUE, Czech Republic - March 25, 2008 - Former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev charged Monday a proposed missile defense system Washington wants to place in eastern Europe is aimed against Russia and China, but not Iran, as the U.S. has been claiming.

"Do you believe that that the whole thing is meant against Iran? That's complete nonsense," Gorbachev said in an interview with the Czech public television aired Monday.

"Iran poses no threat. It is possible to deal with Iran with different means, if necessary," he said.

"The entire system is directed against Russia and China, that's how we understand it," Gorbachev said
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This make perfect since. I have said many times that Russia and China will not let US invade Iran. Please see the formation of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization www.globalsecurity.org...

www.freedomradio.us
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
If true, I think you better wave goodbye to the states, there's no way they would win against them.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
These are the members China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and these are observers India, Iran, Mongolia &
Pakistan in connection w/the Shaighai Cooperation Organization.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
If this IS the case. The government tried to cover this up and say it was Iran the whole time. Do you think they would attack us, if they tried to move even further with the system?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

all these countries listed hate america. america is the focal point of much global hatred. Russia and China are ruthless. At this point i believe the US is a wounded animal in ever since of the word.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com... American spy satellite downed in Peru as US nuclear attack on Iran thwarted! It was never Iran...............................although we are position all around Iran

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by musselwhite

Agreed, but as the saying goes, "there is nothing more dangerous than a wounded animal".

You can study an animal carefully and take all the proper precautions and still end up with a stingray spike through your chest.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieSlayer
reply to post by musselwhite

Agreed, but as the saying goes, "there is nothing more dangerous than a wounded animal".

You can study an animal carefully and take all the proper precautions and still end up with a stingray spike through your chest.
we are animals. what say you?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
It's fairly obvious from where they want to put these things that they're not guarding against missiles coming from the Persian Gulf.

The US and NATO seem to be attempting to surround the Russians with bases, and this is not a good thing, given the Russians' (historically justified) paranoia about invaders. It is a blatant attempt to stoke the fires of a new Cold War.

It's a very dangerous game, and despite what our leaders want us to think, it's being done largely against the will of the populations involved. Both Poland and the Czech Republic are being bullied & bribed by the US to accept bases despite strong public opposition. The US is pushing the Ukraine to join NATO despite strong popular opposition.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Can someone explain to me:

Why this isn't ultimately about Iran?

I mean, lets say we have nuclear subs, war ships, weaponized space satellites, et cetera, all aimed at Russia and China...

Couldn't that just be US's way of saying "better let us invade Iran...or else!"

[edit on 073030p://1u12 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I would certainly buy that argument from Grobachev. It would also invoke WW3. China will not give up it's oil feed from Iran and I don't think they trust the US enough to allow them to regulate it. Of course you could also argue that this fact is already known and ignored to incite a planned war. Great Population controll method and great way to institute more control.

2 cents

apc

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

It's about Iran, but it probably is to defend against Russia or China. If they make any launches it will be limited and probably in defense of the Iranians. Something the missile shield can handle. I'd imagine the hope would be that the reds don't escalate.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
If it is normal foreign policy: Then USA sucks at it by enraging nations that are not looking for another World war

If it is a conspiracy theory: Then USA is the master in it by provoking these nations for forcing a World war

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I don't put much credence into the actual news article, now I'm not real proficent with online searches but I couldn't find anything on main stream news websites concerning Gorbachevs' speech. with that being said, I want to know what other ABS people think about it.
Also if we have all of these special black budget weaponry wouldn't it be better to use it rather than going the nuclear route, Yes our country is corrupt but so isn't every other one too? If we were to believe every thread on here we would all be living in caves or rioting in the streets, but some of the postings are actually fairly entertaining.
I'm in the process of recovering from Leukemia so I have alot of time on my hands and I enjoy spending time on here. thank you all for taking the time and providing me with entertainment

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Russians always felt without any doubt that the missile shield is meant against them. Those who argued otherwise were simply not aware about what US is doing in Eastern Europe.

Quite obviously Middle East has seen the most activity - military, political, strategic, tactical - by the US since the start of the War on Terror. But guess which region is close second and third in terms of increased US presence?

That would be Eastern Europe and Central Asia (Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan). Now why of all regions around the globe would those two regions be the America's primary concern in the War on Terror? There are no extremist factions there - at least there weren't untill US got involved. They have nothing to do with Al Quida or the ubiquitous terrorists.

While US and its Western allies saw the War on Terror as primarily taking place in Middle East, Russians and their allies saw something more sinister. US has been working diligently since 2001 to surround and isolate Russia from all sides, and to sever Russia's ties to its major allies.

What Gorbachev speaks is the truth. Now Gorbachev is not a supporter of Putin and never really was, so you can't say this is Putin's propaganda. But lately Gorbachev has become more and more vocal against the US and NATO and their actions in Europe. The Russian people too are growing tired with the actions of US, and I would not be surprised is the sentiments of Russian people are among the most anti-US in the world.

And the missile shield is only part of the US game against Russia. Right now a very key issue is being decided in NATO - whether to invite Ukraine to join. It is a pity little is said on ATS about this - I predict it will become one of the biggest events in 2008, with very major implications for all sides involved.

Ukraine is on the verge of being split into two nations right now. If that political whore Yuschenko declares that Ukraine will join NATO, you can bet about 55% of Ukraine will be very very unhappy and vocal about this. Crimea could very likely declare independence, and Eastern pro-Russian Ukraine could follow it. Whether the split will be peaceful is hard to tell, but Bush and Yuschenko could very well be responsible for a new war.

It is very simple - NATO must not invite Ukraine to join NATO, and Yuschenko must not accept the offer if it is made. Only 15% of Ukraine supports this, another 30% is neutral, and 55% is radically against it. That 55% includes about 2/3 of the nation's armed forces, and 2/3 of politicians.

NATO is playing with fire. And I am not just talking about Russia. All of this will come back to bite NATO in the ass. Ukraine joining NATO will be the very last straw Russia is willing to take. Take my word on it - Russia will find any and every way to retaliate if this occurs, and US simply cannot stand to have any more enemies.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by maloy]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by musselwhite
reply to post by jhill76

all these countries listed hate america.

Hate, but dare not bite the hand that feeds them.

america is the focal point of much global hatred.

American global politics, however, not American culture (which is the worlds most popular culture.)

Russia and China are ruthless.

Yet so incapable when it comes to threatening the US, both forcefully, as well as economically. The US has made the world economy totally reliant on the US economy (This is given even more credence if you add the EU heavyweight into the mix.)

At this point i believe the US is a wounded animal in ever since of the word.

I'm not entirely sure what it is you are trying to elude to. Militarily, the US could wage a successful campaign in a conventional war scenario, as the USN and USAF are leaps and bounds better then any current competitor out there... If we are talking about the weak, contagious economics situation we are currently viewing today in the US, no one is safe.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
*cough* struggling to be releveant *cough*

Does Gorby really matter?

Russia would object if the US opened a In and Out Burger in Poland let alone a missile shield (as would many other countries)

However, thier concerns / complaints are baseless.

We are talking about 10 interceptors here, maybe 20. Given the current operational procedure, 2 missiles are lofted at each target. That would give them the ability assuming it works as advertised the ability to take down 5-10 missiles tops. Given the number of ICBM's the New Soviets have what the concern?

Unless they are telling us that thier nuclear forces have deteriorated to the point that they can not launch more than that many missiles?

This does nothing to neutralize thier SLBM's (At least the EU base) and I doubt that the Alaska based interceptors could respond fast enough and Again there are only 10 of them anyway.

Lets also set aside the fact that the new Soviets also have dedicated ABM's already in place eh?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Honestly what if Russia and China were to place missile defense systems in Canada, and England would that not show that it is there for the US?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
Honestly what if Russia and China were to place missile defense systems in Canada, and England would that not show that it is there for the US?

I think we both know that answer.

10 ABM's in place, would not even so much as put a scratch on what Russia could possibly dish out. Which makes many people think that Russia has its own agenda, which explains why they are so opposed to the idea, even though the americans have expressed a desire to show the Russians the technology that will be used.

But to a degree, I can see why Russia is worried. Iran would be signing their own death certificate if they even thought to use nuclear weapons. Which kinda makes the whole ABM point a moot one. Would Iran really be willing to sacrifice itself with a nuke strike on Europe, or Israel?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join