Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

New NCAD AIM-120 Has ASAT Capability Then Some

page: 2
0
<< 1   >>

log in

join

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
How interesting, and the original linked article was just in time to be noticed on April 1st................ Hmmmmm


The Winged Wombat




posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I hardly think we are in a position to definitely say with absolute certainty.



The specific energy content of rocket engines has not changed much over the years - as I have pointed out, NASA are going back to a slightly modified Saturn for their next-gen heavy lifter.



I have also pointed out the AMRAAM is around 8 times lighter than the 1980s era ASAT missile, and has around 10 times less internal volume.




There is simply NO WAY that solid or liquid fueled boosters have 8-10 times the specific energy as 20 years ago. I cannot be any more clear on this - it is simply not possible.


The reduced weight of the missile will make things a little easier for the AMRAAM motor (as opposed to the ASAT motor) - but that benefit drops off extremely swiftly with higher altitudes - indeed the benefit has mostly fizzled out by the time the thing is off the a/c rails

[edit on 2/4/08 by kilcoo316]

[edit on 2/4/08 by kilcoo316]



posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I think we've reached a discussion saturation on whether the AIM-120D ER etc. can shoot down objects that either orbit in or transit through LEO altitudes.

Lets get more specific.

I have here below a SRBM ballistic profile. Let direct our discussion to this profile:
www.bharat-rakshak.com...

On a separate note, could the KS-172 AAM-L be used in a similar role?



posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
I have here below a SRBM ballistic profile. Let direct our discussion to this profile:
www.bharat-rakshak.com...


Yeah, thats definitely possible, throughout almost all stages of the flight envelope I'd think (except terminal maybe).




On a separate note, could the KS-172 AAM-L be used in a similar role?


Probably better for it, as its simply much bigger than the AMRAAM.



posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
For that matter you may need to include the now defunct AIM-54.

Or perhaps if we are getting into speculation land.

What about the AIM-47 Falcon fired from the YF-12 at mach 3.2 and 74000 feet? Its a much larger missile with more range and being fired from a higher and faster platform?



posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
For that matter you may need to include the now defunct AIM-54.

Or perhaps if we are getting into speculation land.

What about the AIM-47 Falcon fired from the YF-12 at mach 3.2 and 74000 feet? Its a much larger missile with more range and being fired from a higher and faster platform?



Yeap, why not.


The Phoenix followed a semi-ballistic arc anyway did it not?



posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
Probably better for it, as its simply much bigger than the AMRAAM.


That's not the only thing that matters, the seeker, control system and several other systems have to be optimized and tested for an anti missile role? Also, what is the status of this that Russian missile?



posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23
 


Oh, its pretty much dead to the world, I assure you



posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus3
 


Except india are using it now



posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
That's not the only thing that matters, the seeker, control system and several other systems have to be optimized and tested for an anti missile role?


Indeed, but that doesn't change the basic fact the bigger missile is far more suited to the role.

You can dance around that all day, but for the task in hand, there simply no substitute for size.




Hence why the USAF have investigated modified patriots (PAC-3s) on F-15s for the theatre missile defense role. They are around 2 times larger than AMRAAM (and that is still too small for the ASAT role IMO).

The use of the THAAD missile has also been considered, and it weighs near a tonne - thats getting up there to a proper sized ASAT killer.




Originally posted by WestPoint23
Also, what is the status of this that Russian missile?


No idea. But that is not wholly relevant to the question asked.



posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by kilcoo316
 


If the USAF wanted a quick and proper ASAT missile they could always modify the SM-3 for air launch. If it can reach the type of performance from sea level that it does is should be just fine when launched with some speed and altitude.



posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

If the USAF wanted a quick and proper ASAT missile they could always modify the SM-3 for air launch. If it can reach the type of performance from sea level that it does is should be just fine when launched with some speed and altitude.


Indeed, I was almost writing SM-3 instead of PAC-3 in that post





Its a very big missile though, bigger than the ASAT, at 1.5 tonnes and 6.5ish metres.


It would never fit inside an F-22, that is for sure, but the wing pylons are stressed for 600 gallon tanks, so should be able to take a 1.5 tonne missile.



posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
Its a very big missile though, bigger than the ASAT, at 1.5 tonnes and 6.5ish metres.
It would never fit inside an F-22, that is for sure, but the wing pylons are stressed for 600 gallon tanks, so should be able to take a 1.5 tonne missile.


Each pylon on the Raptor was cleared and tested for 5,000 Lb loads so it should be able to carry two, even the F-35 would be able to carry it, hypothetically.



posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Heres a picture of the proposed system. Click on the picture to see the full version




posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Just as a side note this weeks AWST has this very article on the ASAT capacity on it.



posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT
 


Can you provide us with some information from it?



posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23
 


DOH! Just realized its the same article.

Nevermind.... Nothing to see here


[edit on 4/11/08 by FredT]



posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Has anyone mentioned the F-15 HyFly program?
They did some launches, money I believe is set for another launch in 2010. I have seen some mention while googling that it could be made into an ASAT type weapon.
bigredlancer

research.nianet.org...(HyFly).pdf

www.darpa.mil...






top topics



 
0
<< 1   >>

log in

join