It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican: Islam surpasses Roman Catholicism as world's largest religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Vatican: Islam surpasses Roman Catholicism as world's largest religion

ca.news.yahoo.com

VATICAN CITY - Islam has surpassed Roman Catholicism as the world's largest religion, the Vatican newspaper said Sunday.

"For the first time in history, we are no longer at the top: Muslims have overtaken us," Monsignor Vittorio Formenti said in an interview with the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Aint this interesting? That same time when great Christian sword is punching the greatest Islamic country, they surpass by numbers...

This is so book of revelation stuff!

Noh... Christians over all makes up 33 per cent of the world population, against 19.2% of Muslims! Huh. Glad that we just talk about Catholics.

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
what perfect timing.
simply perfect!

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I am curious how this happens. I am not a big fan of either religion to be perfectly honest. With the worldwide media exposure to "Radical Islam" showing beheadings, riots, suicide bombers...etc, how is it that they continue to gain in numbers? Is the worlds view of the Catholic sexual abuse scandals that much worse than the view of "Radical" Islam?

I realize that they are both eye sores that don't accurately represent the religions as a whole, but they are still what the world gets exposed to and I would imagine it would have to affect recruiting efforts.

Unless of course large numbers are simply flocking to Islam in an effort to bring down the west.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I saw this story tonight, on Mainstream News....MSNBC

It is not new, it is not breaking.

Sorry, good try....

When you add up ALL of the 'christians'....including 'protestants'...still beats Islam in numbers.

Not that I am christian, I am not. Nor am I muslim. I just happen to thnk that religions are evil....but that's another tread!!!

Discuss!!! signed, WW

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I am curious how this happens. I am not a big fan of either religion to be perfectly honest. With the worldwide media exposure to "Radical Islam" showing beheadings, riots, suicide bombers...etc, how is it that they continue to gain in numbers? Is the worlds view of the Catholic sexual abuse scandals that much worse than the view of "Radical" Islam?

I realize that they are both eye sores that don't accurately represent the religions as a whole, but they are still what the world gets exposed to and I would imagine it would have to affect recruiting efforts.

Unless of course large numbers are simply flocking to Islam in an effort to bring down the west.

I agree with a lot of your sentiments. I've known some of the sweetest people in my past who were Muslim. I went to a Catholic school for high school, so I knew a lot more who were Catholic. Catholicism, being so prevalent in America and the west, is seen as a local faith--and people don't think twice talking about the scandals in their own neighborhood. Islam is still largely seen as a foreign faith in the west, and people don't like to appear to be judging foreigners lest they be called bigots or xenophobes--this extends (to some extent) to Radical Islam as well. So where is the growth coming from for Islam? I don't know either! I doubt it is the West. I suspect that the theocratic nations of the Middle East skew the demographics in Islam's favor. Anyone remember when Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, president of Iran, spoke at Columbia (I think?) University in NY and proclaimed that Iran does not have homosexuals? Well, I imagine as far as governments and census bureaus are concerned in countries like Iran Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. do not exist either...further bolstering the numbers of Muslims in the region. Hell, if someone from the census bureau came to my house asking who my God was in Iran; I'd say Allah too.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

In all seriousness, I think they may just have a better marketing team then the Catholics.

new topics

top topics

join