It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What DOES the Bible say about Homosexuality?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
removed drunken post

[edit on 2-4-2008 by Thurisaz]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Something is strange about your post. I have read your posts on different threads and never, did I notice bad typing or grammar in them. Unless I am mistaken, it appears to me that this is not you typing this but someone else.

Just something I noticed. Surely, I could be wrong. You did however create a thread regarding your being drunk, and even that doesn't sound like you, unless, you are still drunk when you made this post.

Just, very strange.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
removed drunken response

[edit on 2-4-2008 by Thurisaz]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

jakyll I thought you said you were a mormon?

I am.

And i also know that my church,like many others,does not have a proud history when it comes to homosexuals.

But attitudes have become more enlightened,though obviously you still get some,mainly in Utah,who have a very backwards view of gays,but thats to be expected.

The LDS belief is now this,being homosexual is not a sin,but the sexual act is,as is all sexual activity outside of marriage.

My church has never treated me with anything other than love and respect,
Even when i get into discussions similar to this one.

"We believe that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God. We believe that marriage may be eternal through exercise of the power of the everlasting priesthood in the house of the Lord. "People inquire about our position on those who consider themselves so-called gays and lesbians. My response is that we love them as sons and daughters of God. They may have certain inclinations which are powerful and which may be difficult to control. Most people have inclinations of one kind or another at various times. If they do not act upon these inclinations, then they can go forward as do all other members of the Church. If they violate the law of chastity and the moral standards of the Church, then they are subject to the discipline of the Church, just as others are. "We want to help these people, to strengthen them, to assist them with their problems and to help them with their difficulties. But we cannot stand idle if they indulge in immoral activity, if they try to uphold and defend and live in a so-called same-sex marriage situation. To permit such would be to make light of the very serious and sacred foundation of God-sanctioned marriage and its very purpose, the rearing of families" (Gordon B. Hinckley, Ensign, Nov. 1998, 71).

This backs up what i just mentioned.
And by assisting gays with their life,that does not mean as it did in the 1960's/1970's,therapy EST and all that madness.They assist with comfort and support and they don't make you feel like your diseased and worthless.And they don't try and change your sexuality...anymore...lol.
As stated above,"My response is that we love them as sons and daughters of God.They may have certain inclinations which are powerful and which may be difficult to control. Most people have inclinations of one kind or another at various times. If they do not act upon these inclinations, then they can go forward as do all other members of the Church."

The only opposition to gays in this church is to same-sex marriages.And that mainly comes from "old fashioned" views on families not from church doctrine.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jdposey

This scripture does not say, and committed abominations before me but speaks of one single act: and committed abomination before me .

Prints of the KJV differ,some use abomination,some abominations.
The Latin Vulgate uses the plural.

If taken as single,there is know way of knowing which abomination the people of Sodom have committed.

If you look up the verses listed below you will see that there was more than one.

Deuteronomy 7:25/18:10/22:5/23:18/25:13-16/27:15.
Leviticus 18:10-12/18:22/20:13.
Proverbs 3:32/6:16-19/8:7/11:20/12:22/15:8,9,26/16:5/17:15/20:10,23/21:27; 24:9/28:9/29:27.

Abomination=Hatred coupled with disgust.
www.websters-online-dictionary.org...

Iniquity=Absence of moral or spiritual values; "the powers of darkness".
www.websters-online-dictionary.org...

I would say that iniquity is the worst of the 2.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

But they do still believe the homosexual "sex act" itself is a sin. So to be a homosexual Mormon in good standing you have to be celibate. Correct?

2002: An article in the FEB-25 edition "The Nation" by Katherine Rosman titled "Mormon Family Values" described a two LDS pamphlets and one speech on homosexuality by a Mormon leader:

1. One pamphlet allegedly says that "Homosexuality Is Sin: Next to the crime of murder comes the sin of sexual impurity."
  2. Another pamphlet, available only to church leaders, states: "God has promised to help those who earnestly strive to live his commandments." It mentions that if homosexuals repent enough, "heterosexual feelings emerge."
  3. A former (unidentified) LDS president and prophet has stated: "Satan tells his victims that it is a natural way of life; that it is normal; that perverts are a different kind of people born 'that way' and that they cannot change. This is a base lie...it were better that such a man were never born."

www.religioustolerance.org...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

So to be a homosexual Mormon in good standing you have to be celibate. Correct?

Yes.
Straight members also have to be celibate,for life or until they get married.
And no,not all church members get married.

I've read just about everything my church has had to say about homosexuality so your quotes are nothing new.
You will find though such comments are out of date as stated in the link you have given;

2000: In advance of the annual General Conference in Salt Lake City, UT, some Mormon parents asked the LDS Church to review a group of 20 to 30 year-old pamphlets which they feel condemn their children as "latter-day lepers." Four brochures mentioned are: "To Young Men Only," "To The One," "Letter to a Friend," and "For the Strength of Youth."

These pamphlets were reviewed when the Prophet prayed for answers.Aint enlightenment a wonderful thing!

I did also say that not all members have the same attitude,and as your link also showed,Utah state is the usual place you will find said attitudes.

But they do still believe the homosexual "sex act" itself is a sin.

Any sexual act outside the bonds of marriage is a sin.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

Hmmm the date on the literature I posted above was 2002.

But since the LDS has no same sex marriage that's the same as life time celibacy. Correct?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join