It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UFO situation in New Zealand, Australia and the Pacific Rim

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by misswanderer31
Check out this link if you havent already....

Go to the link above, on the page there is another link to Dr Maccabee's website regarding the Kaikoura Lights.

very interesting stuff...

Nice work Misswanderer, I have heard of this organisation before. I think they are based out of Tauranga. Unfortunately I only found out about them AFTER I moved away from Tauranga itself to Christchurch. I also have somewhere an obscure American radio show that interviewed the head of the organisation, she had some really good stories to share as well.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Ive found a page from the Waikato Times that introduces the head of UFOCUSNZ - Suzanne Hansen as well as a Senior Air Traffic Contoller for Hamilton Airport - Graeme Opie. Veeeeeery interesting stuff.

www.stuff.co.nz...

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I found this documentary on youtube which includes the Kaikoura Lights...

www.youtube.com...

enjoy

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
So your in Christchurch Blackhawknz....

me too...

So have you ever seen a UFO?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Greetings from the Coro!
You might like to visit this link for further links to New Zealand sites regarding UFO's.

groups.msn.com...

Although, this link seems to have gone!
ufos-new-zealand.atspace.com...

and regarding the Kaikora lights, have a quick look over here.
ufos.about.com...

Good to have you guys on board

Still searching!
H

[edit on 3-4-2008 by Havalon]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Hey Havalon

hows it going? hows the weather in the coro?

Its been cold here in the mornings but brilliant weather during the day... and Im stuck in an office all day

So do you know much about the UFO situation here? or in Australia? It would be great for people to share any personal experiences of stories they have heard over the years about sightings in New Zealand or Australia...

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by misswanderer31

Hi there MW31!
Overcast and rainy, no clear sky tonight

I remember the Kaikora incident and that sparked my interest in the subect down here in godzone. So any info we get that can be further researched then, bring it on!

A good summer though!

H

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I'm wondering if any of you have looked into Maori legends and religious rituals to see if there are any references to UFO?

I've found this brief excerpt from a Harvey Cook lecture. (he also mentions the Ngatea landing and the Kaikoura UFO.)

Finally he talked about the Tapanui Craters of the South Island, which he compared to the supposed UFO crash at Tunguska. He said that the Maori described an explosion of light around 1178 AD and named these craters after it; however such an event is entirely consistent with a meteorite crash on Earth.

homepages.ihug.co.nz...

Also, found this book online about Maori religion and mythology.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Just googling NZ UFO brought up these sites, they have probably already been posted so apoligies if they have.

www.ufocusnz.org.nz...

www.ufoinfo.com...

At a cursory glance sightings seem to be confined commonly to light anomalies such as the one below.

It makes me wonder if there maybe is not the density of people "looking up" with an interest in the subject or perhaps kiwi's are just to sensible to give it a second thought.

Just a passing thought.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyNut23

Good links CN23
star!

This was interesting, has anyone encountered this stuff?

Angel hair is an alleged substance of unknown origin, said to be dispersed from UFOs as they fly overhead. It is so named for its similarity to fine hair, or spider's webs, and is comparable to ectoplasm and pixie dust. Reports of Angel hair say that it disintegrates within a short time of forming. There have been many reports of falls of angel hair around the world. The greatest number of reports have come from the U.S.A., western Europe, eastern Australia, and New Zealand.

The link:
www.crystalinks.com...

H

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
My first post!
Nice to see some fellow kiwis here!
I have been keeping an eye on these forums for a couple of years now, and have never seen anything regarding ufos in NZ apart from the Kaikora incident, although there is a Kiwi connection with the website antigravity www.antigravitymovie.com...
and some ex airnz pilot called Bruce Cathie www.brucecathie.com...

Not sure how genuine he is or if he is out to just make a quick buck.

Btw did anyone read the ChCh press newspaper today regarding the photo of the ufo with the massive trail?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
UFO in the CHCH press? are you joking? nooooo I missed that one... I will go take a look...

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Curiousnzer

You mean this one!

Source:
www.stuff.co.nz...

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I'll add my two cents

1978 December 31st - Kaikoura Coastline, South Island, New Zealand
(AKA Kaikoura lights)
The Kaikoura Lights is a name given by the New Zealand media to a series of sightings that occurred in December, 1978, over the skies above the Kaikoura mountain ranges of the northeastern South Island of New Zealand.

Kaikoura, New Zealand 1978
An extremely rare case of a plane flight for the express purpose of filming a UFO occurred on December 30, 1978, in New Zealand. Captain Bill Startup piloted an Argogy freighter, with Bob Guard as co-pilot. An Australian television film crew from Channel 0-10 would be assigned the unusual task of attempting to capture a photographic image of a UFO.

Kaikoura, N. Z. UFO Australian TV

Captain Bill Startup, and images taken during the flight

UFO - Kaikoura, New Zealand, December, 1978

Read more here:
ufos.about.com...
www.ufocasebook.com...

Sources:
ufos.about.com...
www.ufocasebook.com...

• The first sighting began on December 21 when the crew of a cargo plane noticed a series of lights that tracked along with their aircraft for several minutes and then disappear, only to appear some where else.
• The pilots describe some of the objects of the size of a house and the others small but brilliant flashing lights.
• These objects appeared on the air traffic controller radar in Wellington and also on the radar in the on board the aircraft. The objects were also seen by hundreds of people on the ground.
• On December 30, 1978, a television crew from Australia got permission to shoot some background film for a network show on interviews about the sightings.
• Only minutes after their the cargo aircraft left Wellington for Christchurch, the whole event began again, as though the UFOs had been waiting for the camera.
• For many minutes at a time on the way to Christchurch, the unidentified objects were simultaneously watched by five observers on the flight deck, tracked by Wellington Air Traffic Controllers, and filmed in color by the television crew.
• One of the object followed the cargo aircraft almost until landing. The cargo plane then took off again with the television crew still on board, this time for Blenheim.
• When the aircraft reached about 2000 feet, it encountered a gigantic lighted orb, which fell into station off the wing tip and tracked along with the cargo aircraft for almost quarter of an hour, while being filmed, watched, tracked on the aircraft radar and described on a tape recording made by the TV film crew.
• Following the sightings, the Royal New Zealand Air Force, the police and the Centre Observatory in Wellington cooperated in an investigation, the results of which were stamped Top Secret and lodged in the National Archives in Wellington.

www.xtimeline.com...

The funniest part is the one related to the investigations:

Following the sightings, the Royal New Zealand Air Force, the police and the Centre Observatory in Wellington cooperated in an investigation, the results of which were stamped Top Secret and lodged in the National Archives in Wellington. The New Zealand Ministry of Defence attributed the sightings to lights from squid boats reflected off clouds, unburned meteors, or lights from the planet Venus or trains and cars. In the United States, investigating scientists are still extracting a wealth of detailed information from that film, which one of them has described as being comparable in scientific interest to the rocks brought back from the moon.

en.wikipedia.org...
...and they forgot to mention swamp gas

Analysis by Bruce Maccabee

Image credit: Bruce Maccabee

Shown below are a triangle image obtained at a time when the camera was not moving (a stationary frame) and also two images in which the camera was swinging left or right and in a horizontal direction, thereby causing horizontal smearing (stretching) of the image of the upper orange and the lower red lights.

Image #4666 (see link to TRACINGS OF FILM IMAGES below)

Image #4638

Image #4639

TRACINGS OF FILM IMAGES
Images credits: Bruce Maccabee

See also:

Rense

BUFO RADIO UFO REPORTING CENTER

Aliens The Truth

New Zealand Ufo Research

The 1978 UFO Chronology - NICAP

Bruce Maccabee's document [.DOC file]
(If the above link doesn't work, download it from here: brumac.8k.com... )

NEW ZEALAND RADAR SIGHTING: Some of the most technically interesting sightings are those in which radar plays a role. There are many "radar only" sightings (no coincident visual sightings). Of greater interest are the radar-visual cases in which (a) witness(es) report on object in the same direction and undergoing the same dynamics as a radar target. In this paper I discuss a radar-only case and also the only RADAR-VISUAL AND PHOTOGRAPHIC case that I know of, namely the New Zealand sightings of 1978.

Click here to download the document [.DOC file]
(If the link doesn't work, download it from here: brumac.8k.com... )

Source: Bruce Maccabee website
brumac.8k.com...

Books about the Kaikoura Lights:
The Kaikoura UFOs, Startup, Capt.Bill, with Illingworth, Neill; Hodder & Stoughton Ltd 1980

Let’s Hope They’re Friendly! Fogerty, Quentin; A.H. & A. W. Reed Ltd 1982

The NZ Files – UFOs in New Zealand, Hassall, Peter; David Bateman Ltd 1998

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Havalon

heres the article.....

FROM EXTERNAL SOURCE

Wilkinson, 17, photographed the object, at left, from his Halswell home at 7.27pm.

He said it was too slow to be a meteor or a plane, and wondered if it might be satellite debris in the western sky.

A handful of other observant Cantabrians also spotted the orange ribbon standing out brightly in the dusk.

"I got the camera and took a photo. It was moving extremely slowly, so I thought it might have been a plane for a minute. The front looked like a fireball.

"I didn't hear any noise. It looks like it might have been extremely high up, given the speed it was moving," he said.

Police southern communications shift supervisor Trevor Cross said he received one phone call about the phenomenon. A policeman at Oxford also saw it and thought it might be a vapour trail.

The superintendent of the University of Canterbury's Mount John Observatory at Tekapo, Alan Gilmore , said his "immediate reaction" was it was a plane.

"The slowness would be due to the plane's movement. I assume from the contrail's angle that it is a plane heading for Australia," Gilmore said. "The trail doesn't look at all like a meteor or space-debris trail."

Sorry but Im knew to this I and dont know how to do the external source thingy...

[edit on 3-4-2008 by misswanderer31]

[edit on 3-4-2008 by misswanderer31]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

Brilliant work Internos!

Now I will see if we can get the information posted 'top secret' under the freedom of information act down here in NZ.
It is night time here (as I post) so I will see what I can get tomorrow (Friday)

Star for you M
H

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Curiousnzer

hey curiousnzer, nice of you to join us here.... I just joined a few days ago. I didnt realise these kinda sites existed until I googled em.

So have you researched or heard much about the NZ Ufo sightings?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Havalon

In the meantime, i hope this helps, my friend:

The Official Information Act 1982 is a New Zealand law passed by the 3rd National government in 1982 to
"make official information more freely available, to provide for proper access by each person to official
information relating to that person, to protect official information to the extent consistent with the public
interest and the preservation of personal privacy, to establish procedures for the achievement of those purposes".
It also repealed the Official Secrets Act 1951.

www.justice.govt.nz...
www.law.utas.edu.au...

Official Information: Your Right To Know. How to find out what you want to know from Central and Local Government - (Ministry of Justice pamphlet)

Steven Price "The Official Information Act -
A Window on Government or Curtains Drawn?"

[.PDF file]Text from a lecture given November 2005.

www.ombudsmen.govt.nz...

Ombudsman's Practice Guidelines for dealing with OIA requests.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

Hi internos.... great post regarding the kaikoura lights.... whats your take on the sighting? fake or real? or something else?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
A closer look.
Internos can you do the voodoo that you do so well?

Thanks for the links my friend - I'm on to it in the morning

H

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join