It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My mother is highly offensive to me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
When I recently discovered that I could escape the clutches of Christian idol worship, I told my mother that it had caused me years of grief and suffering for nothing.

I also told her that the reason she feels guilty all the time is because she cannot face her own problems and her Christianity is not working for her like it is advertised. She is also on medications to cure her depression.

Well I told her all this, rather boldly, and now I am the one who needs help. I am told I am the one who needs the council of a psychiatrist. She even went so far as to gossip into other family members and have them tell me that I should also go see a doctor and get on 'meds'.

I find it highly revolting.

I was once on meds and diagnosed with mental disorders because of religion, and when I finally break free of it and see it for what it is, I am told I am out of my head.

They want me to use my insurance I work for at my job and pay a co-pay to see a shrink, to tell me I am sick, so I can then co-pay for meds to make me not sick.

The whole process of making myself well again mentally was getting off medications and using my own brain and reasoning to leave religion behind.

Their very own bible tells them that a prophet will not be welcome amongst his own family in his own town. How true.

They worship Jesus, tell me to do the same. When I do, they say I read too much into it. When I get out of it, I am told I am a sick man that needs help.

I can't wait until one of them asks me for solemn advice so I can tell them to ask Jesus.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Religion should be banned...

No hold on then everyone will want to be a part of it...

Jesus. Can't live with him, can't live without him! Hmmmm I think I've heard that before somewhere.

Dude, Be your own person, walk your own path. What more can you do?

MOnKey

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I was in the same situation with my family awhile back. Only I was told that I'd been sucked in by the devil and that was the cause of my rejection of Christianity. My grandma even went so far as to have the pastor at her church pray over me. I spent a good two hours explaining that I don't believe in the devil and therefore cannot be worshiping something I don't believe in. Eventually my family just decided to ignore what they see as a problem. Except for the occasional comment about how I should really go to church they just pretend I believe what they do. It makes them feel better so I let it go.

I'd say that this will blow over in time, it's just frustrating as heck in the mean time. Just stick to your guns, they'll get over it.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
You know what Ben, you can't please everybody. However from your story, it seemed that you went and preached against her religion to her and you can't do that. Just tell her that you have your beliefs and she has hers and let that be that.

But I know what you mean. I have an aunt that tried to cure her son (my cousin) with religious dogma and now he is commited to a mental institution for probably the rest of his life. He was already unstable with asbergers syndrom and probably a touch of schizo and then after she started with the "church therapy" he claimed he was speaking to the devil. So needless to say, I am against most religious therapy.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
My family is praying for me as well.

When religion is brought up I find it best to keep cool and only argue with simple logic. Even if you can't convert them, they should at least start to understand your point of view. Getting emotional during arguments doesn't help either.

And LOL at your family wanting you to see a shrink and get help. The only "help" you need is getting a decent avatar on ATS. That thing is just... disturbing!

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Thanks for all your remarks. It's nice to have a place to vent every now and then. Between this place and work, it is good therapy.

Originally posted by Kruel
The only "help" you need is getting a decent avatar on ATS. That thing is just... disturbing!

Yes, but the longer I keep it, the more it will be remembered. I've seen many people change their avatars like a celebrity reinvents themselves, but that's just not my style.

Anyway, I made it real quick upon registering at ATS thinking I would make a better one later, just never got a round tuit.

top topics

join