It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thai temple fights off encroaching tide as world sea levels rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Thai temple fights off encroaching tide as world sea levels rise

news.yahoo.com

"The waves attacked here and they will destroy everything," says Somnuek, chief abbot of this Buddhist temple south of Bangkok which is surrounded by water and accessible only by a concrete walkway.

"I don't know what happened, but when the experts came they told me it was global warning and melting ice in the North Pole."

Over 30 years, the sea around Khun Samut Chin village has engulfed more than one kilometre (0.6 miles) of land, World Bank figures show, mostly because fishermen have cut down mangrove forests -- the Earth's natural sea barrier.

Tourism development, sand mining and damming rivers upstream have also taken their toll in an area naturally prone to coastal erosion.

The community have realised their errors and are trying to replant the mangroves, but the situation may soon be out of their hands as global warming sends sea levels rising and powerful storms lashing the coast.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The hypocrisy in this article is ridiculous. They say that global warming has made the tides rise, and yet they point out at least Four other reasons that are much better as an explanation! This is just an example of a bad link between man being an idiot, and man causing "global warming".
This article is a perfect example of what the media wants. The title has all the buzzwords, and the first three paragraphs are all focused on the REPORTERS conclusions. The real facts are purposely blown off. The sea has risen almost not at all in the last 100 years. 18.5 cm roughly according to one source...
www.globalwarmingart.com...:Recent_Sea_Level_Rise_png
This study even says that they have no idea if this data is accurate, due to a possible change in where and how the data was collected!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-3-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Is it so much to ask that they NOT slant stories to meet their own personal agenda. The media is known for using this type of language, to sell both ad space, and a thought process. Probably made a butt load of money selling the ad space to a green company who is mocking us while they make even more. Thanks for the new light bulbs! my grandkids will appreciate the mess!

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
To clarify, the hypocrisy is in that they do not report the news, they make up how they want this to be read. When did journalism accept Hearst's way of doing things? or shall I ask, when do we begin to hold them accountable?

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I just thought this deserved a boost, seeing as people are awake now. Is there anyone out there as mad at the MSM as I am?

Edit; to answer question below, Yes, I am trying to keep this thread visible.

[edit on 31-3-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Stupid post.

[edit on 31-3-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
No it doesn't make me mad.
I'm not sure who the MSM is so I'm not mad at them.

I do think your title is hilarious though.
A bunch of thais trying to fight off the ocean. haha.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
seems you're trying pretty hard to keep your thread visible, so i'll post. i didn't read any links you may have had in there, but i have to wonder if the encroaching shoreline has a lot to do with erosion. everyone already knows the MSM is worthless and spouts lies for agendas. The shock of the atrocity sort of wears off after you start noticing it on a daily basis. no posts doesn't mean we're not interested. just that we already know.

[edit on 31-3-2008 by an0maly33]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Wow, I was beginning to think my posts were invisible. My "Bigfoot molests man" thread got way more attention, but never my more serious attempts at a real thread.

Anyway, the MSM (main stream media) was hijacked long ago, as we all know. My real thought was, are they so arrogant as to show us how biased they are, and then assume that none of us can read OR comprehend? This article lists MANY causes for the rising f the water, but this monk gladly tells anyone who will listen, "yeah, some guy in a suit showed up, said it was global warming." So in this case, we aren't even hearing it from a scientist, but from a translator, who says that the monk says that someone else says that it is global warming. Never mind the fact that there are SO MANY other reasons for the rising tides. There has been a rise of only 18 cm but most likely a lot less!
This is the problem with all of us. we don't check our facts or our sources.

top topics

join