It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help identifying this dragon figurine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I know this is a conspiracy site but there is no conspiracy here.I thought this would be the best area to get responses,but if it's in the wrong category I guess a Mod will move it.

I have four dragon figurines that I purchased some time ago and I can't seem to date them or find a country of origin.I was hoping that the dragon lovers here might be able to help.
The dragons are approximately 3" tall and 7" long,tip to tip.All of them have the same look,yet all have their own individuality.Some have a bigger ball in the mouth,longer tail etc.
They appear to be bronze.All have what appear to be earrings.

After a lot of looking around I could only find one example that is relatively close to what I have.

Dinosaur

I doubt that mine date to the Tang Dynasty but this is the closest match I could find.Scroll down to the red dragon on the left of the page.

I have no provenance for these pieces.I was told they came from an estate sale and the gentleman had brought them from Thailand.I originally bought one,then the second came up for sale.Just this year I went back to the same shop and found the other two tucked away in a corner.
All four are from the same previous owner.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited to add information.

[edit on 30-3-2008 by citizen truth]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Can't say for sure but I saw a lock on ebay from china that looked close to the one in the picture.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Hmmm. My Guess is they are from around the 1920's -1940's. They were probably made as tourist pieces meant to look like they were from an early dynasty. The craftsmanship does not apear to be to impressive. If I had to guess a price...... Maybe sixty to one hundred dollars. I am by no means an expert at anything but I have always had a good eye for art.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The tail is what bothers me the most. once you get past a certain point on it it's just way to uniform.

[edit on 31-3-2008 by MrsEsterhouse]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Here is an example of a piece from the Tang dynasty.

Note the fine detail.

Here's a group (Tang dynasty)that are similar yours.

[edit on 31-3-2008 by MrsEsterhouse]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the input,I appreciate it.

If these were indeed tourist pieces I would expect all of them to be near identical from casting.
This picture is of only one piece.The design is the same in all,but scales vary,the size of the ball,tail length vary.The feet are different sizes etc.

I just went and checked the other three and I think the one I photographed may have a refitted tail given the "weld" look and roundness of the rod.The others have a thinner,more curly tail with a hammered look.

I'll have to do some googling or take one of these to the museum.Maybe one of the department heads can point me in the right direction.

I have a lot of dragons and these ones just don't fit the norm,even by Asian standards as far as tourist trinkets go.

Oh, I never expected mine to be from the Tang Dynasty.That top one is a beauty!

I always need to know why,how,where'd it come from?That's just me.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen truth

Probably Chinese and I think the ball in its mouth represents, maintaining and securing, wealth and prosperity.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
taking them to a museum or university would be your best bet. I would not trust just anyone to apraise them. They could very well be old, it's hard to tell from pictures alone. I would love to see pictures of the others if you can get them up. I hope they turn out to be from the Tang Dynasty!

please post an update when you have them looked at.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by MrsEsterhouse]

new topics

top topics

join