It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans creating new 'geological age'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Humans creating new 'geological age'

www.news.com.au

HUMANS are causing such unprecedented climatic change and mass extinctions it is creating a new geological age, according to a leading environmental scientist.
___

"In 2005, the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment published a report on the changes in species diversity and found the current rate of species loss is higher than the background rate inferred in the fossil record.

"Another 10-30 per cent of birds, mammals and amphibians are currently threatened with extinction.

"This rapid rate in the loss of species diversity is similar in intensity to the event around 65 million years ago which wiped out the dinosaurs and other species.''
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I was absolutely stunned by these claims. Although i am still in two minds of the truth of global warming, if this claim is true, then the overall impact on the food chain must be a serious problem that we need to consider alongside our global warming problems.

Humans are a plague upon this earth.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is to be called the Anthropocene. No other species that we know ofhas changed their environment as much as we have. Living in balance with the natural cycles of the Universe is something we should work on.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Well, i think that appearance of vegetation changed this world much much more then us, but it is not species...
Anyway, this is not the end. We are creating new type of intelligence (not sure about life) and if we succeed, it will change the scene even more.
But if we are somehow removed from the planet before that, good chance that somebody/thing will take our spot with time. Not sure they will handle it better.

new topics

top topics

join