It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comcast wants to put camera in your home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
www.switched.com...

>>trying out technology that turns cable boxes into camera-equipped devices that would utilize body-form-recognition as a means to provide custom-tailored service, and, of course, custom tailored advertising

Is this the stupidist thing you have ever heard? 1984 is here.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
This was actually mentioned in another thread, but I don't believe there was a specific company trying to actually roll it out. So this is new.

I mentioned in that other thread that the technology already exists for this. It has for years for the purposes of checking ratings, along with checking out the demographics watching the shows and for how long.

Of course in that context it's voluntary. I wouldn't agree with this at all, for many reasons but besides who gives a damn about custom-tailored advertising? Ads are annoying regardless. I think it's ridiculous for them to imply this will benefit users, the only people who will benefit will be the advertisers themselves.

I wouldn't tolerate it in my home anyway. I hope nobody else would. I'm already suspicious of my Foxtel IQ unit because it's got internet access in some form or another and a hard disk so it could (at the very least) send statistics on what I watch and for how long back to Foxtel.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Orwell was a little early, but this is very similar to the telescreens from 1984. It's not just the "user-specific advertising" that worries me as much as the idea that the entire thing could be a front for federal spying.

Then again, time has proven that the real emerging powers in this world are not governments but multinational corporations.

[edit on 30-3-2008 by SamuraiDrifter]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Comcast wants your wallet.

Which is why i dont use those rip off artists. I knew they worked for the devil anyway.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It begins - this is the litmus test guys, pretty soon they're going to start getting aggressive about spreading the news.

top topics

join