It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merkel says she will not attend opening of Beijing Olympics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Merkel says she will not attend opening of Beijing Olympics

The German chancellor, Angela Merkel, yesterday became the first world leader to decide not to attend the Olympics in Beijing.

The disclosure that Germany is to stay away from the games' opening ceremonies in August could encourage President Nicolas Sarkozy of France to join in a gesture of defiance and complicate Gordon Brown's determination to attend the Olympics.

Donald Tusk, Poland's prime minister, became the first EU head of government to announce a boycott on Thursday and he was promptly joined by President Václav Klaus of the Czech Republic, who had previously promised to travel to Beijing.

More...

Damned thing should have never been held there in the first place.

Good for them.

[edit on 30-3-2008 by loam]

posted on Dec, 6 2021 @ 09:32 AM
link   
MAJOR UPDATE

Monday, December 6, 2021

It's time to add "F*ck China!" to the "F*ck Joe Biden!" sentiment...

WASHINGTON/BEIJING, Dec 6 (Reuters) - U.S. politicians should stop calling for a diplomatic boycott of the Beijing Winter Olympics to avoid hurting bilateral ties and China will take "countermeasures" if necessary, China's foreign ministry said on Monday.

The Biden administration is expected to announce this week that U.S. government officials will not attend the 2022 Olympics in Beijing, a source familiar with the situation said, confirming reports by CNN and NBC.

Those calling for a boycott are "grandstanding" and should stop "so as not to affect the dialogue and cooperation between China and the United States in important areas," said Zhao Lijian, China's foreign ministry spokesman.

"If the U.S. insists in wilfully clinging to its course, China will take resolute countermeasures," he said at a news conference.
Source: www.reuters.com...

Most of these 809,000 Americans would be alive today, if it wasn't for CHINA.

www.worldometers.info...

posted on Dec, 6 2021 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I'm curious...

What exactly will be accomplished by boycotting the Beijing Olympics in any fashion??

What was accomplished by African nations boycotting Montreal in '76? Moscow 4 years later, and the tit for tat Warsaw Pact boycott in '84??

posted on Dec, 6 2021 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I think my reply to you will be classed a thread drift a bit like your reply to the OP

never mind the fact you have copied and pasted the exact same thing in other threads

Perhaps a complete media blackout of the games would hurt the sponsers enough to impact on the hosts

edit on 000000p3104America/Chicago12062021112 by UpThenDown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2021 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: UpThenDown

Perhaps a complete media blackout of the games would hurt the sponsers enough to impact on the hosts

Nice fantasy, but not happening.

Far, far too much money involved for the media not to cover them. However, no one has to watch 'em. I won't be. Which, to be quite honest, sucks, as I love the Olympics.

posted on Dec, 6 2021 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
I'm curious...

What exactly will be accomplished by boycotting the Beijing Olympics in any fashion??

What was accomplished by African nations boycotting Montreal in '76? Moscow 4 years later, and the tit for tat Warsaw Pact boycott in '84??

it does seem rather pointless, BUT if it was actually so pointless, then why is Chin taking this stand, and even making threats over it? it seems that even though it does seem like such a boycott does nothing, that it really would have a severe negative impact on China. otherwise why would China react so strongly to the suggestion of it?

posted on Dec, 6 2021 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

" What exactly will be accomplished by boycotting the Beijing Olympics in any fashion?? "

Mostly Nothing , but Some People Do have Moral Principles they Live By and Cannot Ignore .......

posted on Dec, 6 2021 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Politicians not going is meaningless the chinese dont care if she shows or anyone from Biden shows... the west not showing and not broadcasting would go much further forcing their hand on genocide and slave labor.

posted on Dec, 6 2021 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

The ONLY Thing these Demented World Oppressors Understand is the Power of MONEY . Take that Away from them and they Will Cave on Any Political or Personal Principles . The CCP is No Different .

posted on Dec, 6 2021 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Politicians and moral principles??

Those two don't really go together, save by accident...

posted on Dec, 6 2021 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Politicians and moral principles??

Those two don't really go together, save by accident...

Where in my Post do you see the Word " Moral " ? Nowhere . WTF > ?

posted on Dec, 7 2021 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Moral Principles

posted on Dec, 7 2021 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Just a show.
While polticans arent letting go of the mandates,passports.
edit on 7-12-2021 by HawkEyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2021 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

That was a Previous Post , I thought you were referring to my Last One.......

posted on Dec, 7 2021 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I'm curious...

In this particular case, it may mean a few less stolen secrets and less lives lost by thousands of U.S. officials staying home.

In general, I do not like introducing politics into amateur athletic events.

Am torn on this one.

ETA - I don't care at all what CCP has to say on the subject, why would anyone?

edit on 7-12-2021 by Ghostsdogood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2021 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Honestly shocked that most of the entire globe has not boycotted these winter games...

Nothing shatters good will and friendly competition than a host nation unleashing a pandemic upon the world..

Don't forget the first reports of the illness came from participants in the 2019 Military games....

Held in Wuhan....

I really enjoy the winter olympics, but will forego any interest in these games...

new topics

top topics

join