It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virtual desktop manager for Vista?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Okay, so I'm looking at the options....

VirtuaWin looks like the best so far.
virtuawin.sourceforge.net...

Dexpot is another one I was considering.
www.dexpot.de...
I think it might be more RAM hungry, though it seems to have more features. I don't think I need a bunch of extras.

Has anyone tried either of these? Anyone know a better one?

[edit on 30-3-2008 by GrayFox]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
my fix for a good virtual desktop manager.... *this will only work if you are willing to learn something new and migrate from Windows tp opensource software*

Download Linux and install 'Compiz Fusion'
there is a variety of flavors out there. here are a few to google.

'ubuntu'
'linux mint'
'mandriva'
'fedora core'
'opensuse'
'slackware'

linux is a different world tho, so you might want to play with it on a virtual machine. if you wanna use it to play games, they have emulators out there, I dont play PC games so I dont have to worry about it. just about all the software out there is free or you can contribute by donation.
they also make opensource software for windows that works really well and isd always taking on newer and better projects.

if you look up Compiz 3d desktop on youtube, you will see the greatness in Linux eye candy. its awesome.

as for a windows 3d desktop/virtual desktop manager. id say its not even worth it. windows itself is a resource hog and anything running in windows is often converted to do the same.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by GrayFox

Infinitely better to get two monitors.

Either two 20" widescreens or a 20" and a 17".

Since a lot of people already have a 17, don't scrap it and get a 19 square. You still won't be able to see wide-screen movies. It turns out the height of a 17" is the same as a 20" widescreen and they match perfectly.

I recommend the Samsung Syncmaster 206bw (20") and the 731b (17").

That way, no overhead and you have more desk space. You don't even need two video cards. Just use the digital and the analog ports on your current card and Windows will automatically recognize them.

Watch and wait for sales at circuit city. When they upgrade to the next big thing prices on the current group will drop.

HTH.

[edit on 30-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Nah.... no Linux (I've tried. Multiple distros. Linux hates every computer I get. But I do have Yellow Dog Linux installed on my PS3.).... and no 2nd monitor. I only have one computer and it's a laptop. (well, I have another laptop, but it's very old and has issues)

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
just wanted to say the last time i looked for virtual desktops for windows i wasn't able to find any that were good or stable.

badge: why wouldn't one be able to watch widescreen movies on a non-widescreen monitor? the image will fill more of a wide screen than a "square", but there's nothing stopping anyone from watching any movie on either. =)

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I would have thought MS would have incorporated virtual desktops into Vista, but no, they didn't. Linux has been doing it for a while, but it's still not in Windows. Does Mac have virtual desktops as part of the OS? (not getting a Mac, but just curious)

Anyway, I mainly want this for organization. I'm not too worried about screen space, so even if I had a desktop, I probably wouldn't go for a 2nd monitor.

I had tried Ubuntu as soon as I got this laptop about 6 months ago. I asked for help on the Ubuntu forms, but only a few people actually tried to help me out.

It would get to....

Checking ./casper/filesystem.squashfs

At that point.... nothing. It just froze there. Someone told me to try an alternate installation CD, but I don't want to do that. I'm not going to install it first and ask questions later when it doesn't work. I want it to work as a Live CD before I even try to install it.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by GrayFox]

new topics

top topics

join