It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a few random religion quesitons.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Is everyone Immortal?

If we die and go to "heaven", are we considered immortal for simply being?!

If we die and go to "hell", we're still a being right? Though we burn for all eternity, we are still "alive" to feel it, so isn't that in a sense immortality?

Or to those who say our souls are just *snaps finger* gone! Then we wouldn't care, because we would be "Dead"!

Ahem! Yes, I know i'm using alot of """"""""""".... I'm generalizing, leave me alone!

If i'm not a Christian, and believe in something, but in God all the same, am I due to serve eternity in the lake of fire?

If a Christian commited suicide under a VERY VERY VERY harsh circumstance, are they due to serve eternity in the lake of fire also?

Okay, they commit suicide because a horde of flesh eating zombies are about to maul them to death! There, would that make a difference?

Or perhaps someone figures Jesus to be.....an eskimo, and are incorrect. Are they screwed just for getting Jesus' race wrong?

If I swear a thousand times, and don't ask for forgiveness, would my suffering be enhanced in "hell"?

If Jesus died for our sins, doesn't that mean all of our sins are forgiven anyway? Are we allowed to, since he's already died for them?

If Jesus walked up to people in the middle of Time Square, and stated that he was Jesus, would people believe him?

If you're a Christian, and you even come close to questioning if Jesus was colored, is it a sin?

You know, just a few random thoughts pop into head while standing around at work for 8 hours.

I'm not trying to Bash anyone beliefs here, just a curious little

Also, before the "big day", are we graded on how we've lived our lives, to determine if we are "applicable" to become Angels?

F.Y.I. I'm Agnostic, not an Atheist. I believe in my heritage for the most part, but I question just about everything, most of the time.

-Mad

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
" Is everyone immortal "

well immortal life has more then to justbeing.. It is alos being filled with love and grace, so the people in hell hate each other and are burned (the more evil ones that is), the lesser evil ones sit in darkness.... but because they have hatred and no graces means they are dead and their soul is without God...

If a rock is being which it is, does that mean the rock is alive? No, but in hell we become like rocks without feelings and like literal robots.....

2. Commiting suicide is always wrong... Many saints had to endure much pain but the still would not have commited suicide... God grants special graces of fortitude to souls who have tuff circumstances to get through it..

" If I swear and do not ask for forgiveness "

well yes it will be enhanced, God doesn't like people who push the limit for no reason.... Slipping up is one thing and taken the one who created us name in vain, but continually saying it out of being an idiot is just wrong....

unless ofcourse your like the guys on construction sites who do it for sport....

" If Jesus died for our sins ? "

Sin is only forgiven if there is a firm amendment of sinning no more....

You can't take God for granted and keep sinning because he died for our sins, remember he dies for the sins which cease to be after confessing them, not to people who keep doing sin.......

" If Jesus walked in the middle of time square "

Ok this question is wack... but I will answer anyways...

They probably wouldn't because the world is ruthless and they don't treat outcast well....

God likes going after souls who are silent and willing to listen, like little childlike people who actually listen... He don't like people who think they know everything and have no humility.....

Madseason.... you are correct...

We will be judged on the things we have done... God says he will judge every man according to their works...

Now if earthly judges like judge Mathis or whoever is just make good judgements, how much more justice itself which God (implanted) in their souls?

His jdugemtns will be correct and good...

peace.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadSeason313
Is everyone Immwouldhave eternal lifetal?

If we die and go to "hell", we're still a being right? Though we burn for all eternity, we are still "alive" to feel it, so isn't that in a sense immortality?

Immortal is immortal so in both those cases you would have eternal life.

However.....

Or to those who say our souls are just *snaps finger* gone! Then we wouldn't care, because we would be "Dead"!

The Bible speaks of the second death. I do not believe in eternal torment in Hell. I believe in the second death like what you describe-- nonexistence.

Ahem! Yes, I know i'm using alot of """"""""""".... I'm generalizing, leave me alone!

Ok I'll just break dance then..

If i'm not a Christian, and believe in something, but in God all the same, am I due to serve eternity in the lake of fire?

That is really up to God now isn't it? He did leave us the Bible, check it out sometime.

If a Christian commited suicide under a VERY VERY VERY harsh circumstance, are they due to serve eternity in the lake of fire also?

If you are a Christian, the Cross covers all sins.

Okay, they commit suicide because a horde of flesh eating zombies are about to maul them to death! There, would that make a difference?

Ditto

Or perhaps someone figures Jesus to be.....an eskimo, and are incorrect. Are they screwed just for getting Jesus' race wrong?

Now you are just being silly everyone already knows Jesus was an eskimo.

If I swear a thousand times, and don't ask for forgiveness, would my suffering be enhanced in "hell

No you have to swear 1001 times for that.

If Jesus died for our sins, doesn't that mean all of our sins are forgiven anyway? Are we allowed to, since he's already died for them?

He dies for past present and future sins. If you are trul;y trying to follow him you will try not to sin out of gratitude. So if it is an excuse for you - you are not really sincere then are you?

If Jesus walked up to people in the middle of Time Square, and stated that he was Jesus, would people believe him?

When he comes back next time... the bible says there will be no doubt about who he is. The first time was the lamb - next time a Lion.

If you're a Christian, and you even come close to questioning if Jesus was colored, is it a sin?

He was a middle eastern Jew, chances are he was darker than most white people. Or maybe he was an eskimo like you said.

It really makes no difference..

You know, just a few random thoughts pop into head while standing around at work for 8 hours.

Ok hope that helps a little...

Also, before the "big day", are we graded on how we've lived our lives, to determine if we are "applicable" to become Angels?

We do not become angels. That is not Biblical at all. We are judged by our position in Christ, ie if you believe in him - according to the New Testament.

F.Y.I. I'm Agnostic, not an Atheist. I believe in my heritage for the most part, but I question just about everything, most of the time.

Nothing wrong with questioning... I was the same way. God sort of came and rescued me from my crazy life when I finally got sick of it. Now I am a Christian. I had to humble myself and pray.

Try praying for Christ to reveal himself to you in some small way and then watch for a "coincidence" to occur.

[edit on 3/30/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Is everyone Immortal?

Any being who has the experience of being is immortal.

No. If you are aware of yourself, you are immortal. It makes no difference where you think you will end up. You will get to wherever it is you are going to go no matter if you are mortal or immortal.

Yes. If you are aware right now, then you will always be.

Everyone needs refinement, thats part of discovery, but you have to lose something before you can find it again.

Again, everyone gets tested in the lake of fire.

Run Forrest, run!!!!!!!!

Those who know something about anything probably know a lot less than they actually do. Love does not scold people for incorrectly guessing ones race.

If I swear a thousand times, and don't ask for forgiveness, would my suffering be enhanced in "hell"?

I think if you don't ask for forgiveness, then you probably don't feel guilty in the first place. Forgiveness is sought by sinners, not those who have faith that God loves them.

It can't mean any other thing. Now go out and set everyone else free in love.

Yes, they would believe that he said he was Jesus. They would, however, care less.

No.

Why wait? Why not judge your own self and be like an angel? God doesn't want to put you on trial, he wants you to take care of that your own self.

-Mad

Cross over and become gnostic. The air is fine over here.

[edit on 30-3-2008 by ben91069]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Is everyone Immortal?

the bible does not say we have an immortal soul

gen 3:[19] In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

rom 6:[23] For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

eccl 9:[5] For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.[10] Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

psalms 146:[4] His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

so to answer your question, no.

directly translated, the words hades and sheol mean the grave, not a burning hell. even jonah prayed to go to hell while in the belly of the fish.

that wouldnt make sense if hell was satan´s stove.

pretty much.

if you havent found the truth, god will give you the opputunity to learn (not that you will learn, but you have the oppurtunity to), if you prefer to not to learn or you know the truth and reject it, then you are not serving god.

adam and eve decided not to follow god, and to be independant. god made it clear that they would die.

as for lake of fire, look up gehenna. trash heap outside jerusalem, signifies eternal destruction or death, not eternal torture.

bible doesn´t say. people who perhaps have mental difficulties with depression may end thier life, there is no reason to say god wouldn´t weigh all the factors into determining whether they are to be resurrected.

simply put, it´s not our place to say.

the bible is very clear about jesus´ lineage. however, one must ask, if jesus´appearance was important, why didn´t the bible provide a description?

more to it than that

jude [4] For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

says pretty much what you were saying, but other scriptures say theres more.

luke 13:[23] Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them,
[24] Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

eph 4:[17] This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,

eph 5:[5] For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

to illustrate, you find yourself sick and the doctor prescribes medicine. is it enough to simple have the medicine? no, you have to take it.

sins mentioned throughout the bible can be blamed for alot of the pain in the world today. jesus´s sacrifice isn´t just about providing personal salvation, its also about making the world a better place, those who refuse to do that cannot claim rights to the ransom

after seeing how some of the people on this forum reason, probably not lol

again, if it was important, why didn´t the bible provide a description?

[edit on 31-3-2008 by miriam0566]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
Any being who has the experience of being is immortal.

Again, everyone gets tested in the lake of fire.

I think if you don't ask for forgiveness, then you probably don't feel guilty in the first place. Forgiveness is sought by sinners, not those who have faith that God loves them.

It can't mean any other thing. Now go out and set everyone else free in love.

Why wait? Why not judge your own self and be like an angel? God doesn't want to put you on trial, he wants you to take care of that your own self.

can you back any of what you said with scripture?

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566

Yes, but it would make for a long night convincing you. Besides, you don't need me to answer these questions, you just need to ask the Father.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069

Originally posted by miriam0566

Yes, but it would make for a long night convincing you. Besides, you don't need me to answer these questions, you just need to ask the Father.

convienient

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Is everyone Immortal?

Uhm, no... Our blood is our mortality...

No, we are no longer mortal at that point, we have ever lasting life, but take on more of a conscience existence, energy if you will...

In a sense you might be right, I do not know, that would be a question for God... Or someone else who knows satan...

If you don't believe in Jesus, but believed in God you would be no better off than a Jew... All Jews who deny Jesus, which all of them do or did have to be saved like any other common man.... Through the blood of Jesus Christ, Admit to being a sinner, believe in Jesus and that he rose from the dead and that he died for our sins. Through him we also have God, without him we have neither and you simply have a belief, like how you believe water makes you wet. Question is are you Hot, Lukewarm or Cold? He would rather you be Hot or Cold...

No, simply because you would be dead before you could ask for forgiveness... To ask for forgiveness and then commit the act isn't going to work... It's not like calling someone an A-hole where you can appologize after you realized you were actually the A-hole.

See above...

Haha... Doesn't matter, everyone who has a personal relationship with Jesus has their own interpretation, does not make them a different God, which is what I believe you meant... And more likely than not would have no affect on the said relationship... Heaven can be whatever you want it to be...

Did you sell your soul to the devil or something? What are cuss words? WORDS! That is all...

He died for them allowing us forgiveness for them so that if we are to make a mistake we are forgiven... We need to ask for this though... And ask first we must...

Depends on which Christ you are refering to... The first one is known to be a fraud, false christ... The second will be real... Profits will be false, everyone today, for only 2 profits will head the power of God and will be able to control all aspects of our world... Keep your eyes open for these 2... Beware the day they are killed...................

Uhg... see above...

-Mad

I know your intentions are good, that is why I offered my help... Peace young christian...

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

You say champion of faith? How about you share more with me.. I am not well versed in the bible, i just know things... Don't ask me to explain... I would like to know more specific passages from the bible and have them explained... Can you do this for me?

Also it does not benefit the OP by simply telling him to read a bible... He needs to know which bible... This is very important... King James btw...

And like I'm asking above to provide a passage would be cool... not being a smart you know what, just sayin... Thankx!

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

Hey Sam

Some of those questions are,quite frankly, a little silly. So I responded tongue and cheek accordingly. I don't know what question you are referring to wanting a scripture for. I am just a regular guy who reads and goes to Bible study. Nobody gets an understanding of the scriptures overnight. It is a process that takes years. I'll be happy to try to address any specific question you have. If I don't know the answer, I am sure together we can find it.

I know where you are coming from with the translation issue. KJV is not always accurate either. In a lot of cases it is much better to go with the NIV for clarity and understanding. If someone is completely unfamiliar even The Message is cool.

[edit on 4/1/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Yes, I would actually like to know which verse states that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Also which bible do you recommend and why? Thank you...

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

Yes, I would actually like to know which verse states that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one.

That's a hard question because the Trinity is a doctrine based on a lot of scriptures and not an explicit teaching. The most obvious clue is when Jesus said "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"(Matt. 28:19) There's "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord" (Deuteronomy 6:4) Jesus says "I and the Father are one" (John 10:30) And there are verses like "14May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all."(2 Corinthians 13:14 ) that support the idea of three. So the church fathers studied these scriptures and came up with the doctrine of the trinity which most Christians accept.

Also which bible do you recommend and why? Thank you...

I usually use the NIV because it is written in more modern English. Not so many thees and thous... They used an approach of trying to translate it according to the meaning of the language rather than strict word for word correspondence. The cool thing about the computer is you can look at different translations instantly. So you aren't stuck with one way of thinking. I also look up the original Greek and Hebrew words sometimes using this site www.blueletterbible.org...

Enter a verse and then hit the "c" and you can look at each individual word in the original languages etc.

Hope that helps!

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Oh yeah I almost forgot about this one...

1 John 5:7
7For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy
Oh yeah I almost forgot about this one...

1 John 5:7
7For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

[7] For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
[8] And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

forgot verse 8

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I know I haven't really replied to my own thread yet, but yeah. Been busy! Hmmn, alot of interesting comments. I also see i've been considered a "young Christian".

I can hardly say that I am, actually, I can say that I am not.

Like I said in my post, i'm just curious about the whole "God/Jesus" view point on life.

I know some of the questions sounded a bit weird, but I think I was medicated at the time.

I guess I can understand a few of you people' beliefs now.

Don't get your hopes up on me converting though.

I've prayed earlier in my life. And I never got any kind of answer. Even as a kid, I had my eyes open. And never really bothered to follow any kind of religion, but that doesn't mean i've tried.

I DO believe there is a "god", in a sense.
Though it's kind of hard to believe in god these days, when everything seems to be falling apart. And i'm not talking about personal agendas, i'm talking about the world. Atleast, our world.

Oh yeah, I remember what I was going to ask.
What's the deal with all of these people saying animals don't have souls?!
No, I can't elaborate whom. I just remember reading it.
In my "culture", we believe that everything has a soul, and is one. Everything is the all. Everything vibrates, for it is alive. So! Yeah!
Atleast, I've tried to follow it.

I have seen miracles happen, unexplainable things. Was it the Lord?! Ooooooooooh! Well, we call it something else. Great Spirit, God, the Lord, whatever. Same thing. (No disrespect intended)

Again, seems noone answered this one.

How did god become to be?! Is there like a god amongst gods?!
Doubt any "mortal" would know though right?

Wait, someone said something about suicide and mental illness?! Care to elaborate?
Said something about a second chance? Ressurection?

Why I ask all these idiotic questions?

Curiosity, bordem, wandering thoughts...

Oh yeah, I liked someones comment about Jews. Even though it sounded ignorant and or racist. It made me smile... Hahah!

new topics

top topics

join