It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why hoaxers hoax......

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I have wondered for some time now why hoaxers create hoax pictures and videos of ET. I understand that they want attention. Do they not realize that creating hoaxes only makes it harder and harder to get the majority of skeptics to believe in the true existance in ET. It also makes it harder to find real proof of UFO and ET in general.

Basically, I wish that hoaxers would find something else to hoax and leave us in the UFO and ET community alone.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Finn1916

My one and only simple answer to that is a hoaxer will hoax because he or she can.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
It is my belief that hoaxers don't think that there is anything to UFO's or aliens and that what they are doing doesn't cause any harm to someone that believes in something that doesn't exist. The fact is what they are doing only does one thing. They call into question that the UFO phenomenon is real. That is if one thing was a hoax, how many other things are also a hoax? It makes people question what may be going on, and to an extent that can be healthy. To those that are looking for the truth, hoaxes are nothing but a distraction. I am one that will always keep looking regardless of the number of hoaxes that come up. In a way, there is something to be learned from hoaxes, and that is how to tell a hoax from a real event.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Some are doing it to become gurus...

You have the Raliens sex cult. Billy Meier has basically started his own religion. Gotta wonder about Dr Greer now too as he is getting into UFOs as a new spirituality. It starts to become a cult of personality.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
because they think its really, really easy, and they have very little imagination, and they think its funny, and and they think ufo people a dumber than they are. (i've found all of the above to be false most of the time.) the main motivation is that if ufo people believe the hoax, that makes them feel smarter than somebody else which gives them a much needed ego boost in this harsh and uncaring world. i pity them.

that may sound like the response of a bitter man, maybe a little, but mostly i think it's true because most hoaxes are perpetrated by idiots and are easy to see through. the ones that aren't usually turn out to have an ulterior motive besides the hoax.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
i kinda figured that hoaxers do that just to obscure the truth in anyway they can.they do not believe and want everyone else to feel the same. jus my opinion

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
It is interesting to me how many times I've seen doubt cast on the possibility of a hoax because folks can't understand the mentality behind creating a hoax. There are a few reasons I can thinl of for hoaxing. Fun, to see if they can, and who would fall for it. Because they can, of course, but also because they want to leave amark, think about how many hoaxes get press these days

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I think something is missing in a hoaxers psyche. Perhaps they weren't loved as kids. Perhaps they never got attention. Or maybe they just want to be considered important.
15 mins of fame?

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Right Alleged Real Dinosaur photgraphed by Billy Meier while time traveling with aliens. Left the actual book he took a photo of

This my personal favorite for the sheer insanity of it. Yet people still believe him. That is what I do not understand. Why do they still believe after he gets caught red handed.

[edit on 3/30/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
You might as well ask why fishermen fish. It's because they like what they do: throwing out some bait and reeling in what bites.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I'll hold my hands up here and admit that not only do I like a good hoax, but I also like to create them

This summer I've got a couple lined up, one of which I discussed in a previous thread concerning crop circles. I've got a couple of friends who have agreed to make one. We'll record ourselves doing it, but won’t own up to it for a while just to see. If we told everyone it was a hoax straight away or soon after, then the 'officials' would stand up and say "Ha! We knew it!"

Why?:

Makes me feel smarter? Nope.

15 Minutes of fame? No. I've had a lot of fame, been on TV radio and newspapers but for unrelated matters. We never report our own work

Unloved when young? No. Nice close loving family and I have a family of my own now

My own cult? Hmmmm!

Obscure the truth? The truth will always come through

So why would I do such a thing?
One good point is to prove that it can be done by humans and to see what other humans will 'see'
Is it fun? Yes, it is. A few friends and beers, pooling ideas together over plans.
What have we done before? Balloon UFOs. A few large balloons, helium canister, pop a bulb and battery inside, strap them together and let them go. Release a few at the same time, you get formation flight.
Apart from the crop circle, we have plans for something a bit better as well, but I refuse to state what, where, when and why

Question is though, am I hoaxer or is this a hoax?

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
There may be several reasons for why hoaxers hoax.
Some of them are looking for fame, some of them are just bunch of lameazzes who want to piss people off and the third kind..(enter soft piano music)..

The third kind are the dreamers. Yes. They want their dreams, their beliefs in aliens and outter world to be true. In their desperate need of proof, something that would validate their time and effort spent in research for ETs, they decide to create their own world of things happening, saucers flying, alien encounteres etc.

They know it's a lie and they know they created it, but they decide to live it and treat it as real as possible, they want to see how would it look like to be a part of that ... fantastic story.

So, they make up something, post it on the forum and post about it in a most convincing way because they themselves believe in it. ie. WANT to believe in it.

This is how most of the modern UFO myths have been born and are part of modern UFO cult. We need it as much we don't need it. It's hurting the UFO research as well as it's feeding it with new believers, whos imagination got sparked by some of those crazy threads and videos.

I know I took the bite the same way.

Although Sleeper and John Lear were telling fairy tailes, I was hooked and that's what brought me here.

So in a way, hoaxing if done with true passion and say, for a better cause, can actually benefit the community in way.

Those are my 0.2 cents.

BTW, this post was a hoax, do NOT believe the word I'm saying!

[edit on 30-3-2008 by Breadfan]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Like some hackers, hoaxers can actually improve our ability to understand things; here: 'sightings' and encounters.

Without something to tune our credibility filters, we might not be as discerning, at least here.

In fact some hoaxers might cause a true believer to turn to science in an attempt to better understand what's happening.

So, imo, some hoaxing is good. As you can see, hoaxers don't last long here, since we are experienced and understand much of what makes up their feeble attempts. Of course, part of it is that they are not very smart, for the most part.

Now, I'm not suggesting that people should hoax things. It definitely muddies the waters. But a little may keep us on our toes.

[edit on 30-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Breadfan, we NEVER report out own Hoax, it would be counter productive.
The thing we've realised is that people once they've seen the UFO, create their own Hoax.
The balloons, go from being lights in the sky, to metallic discs, close encounters, emanating intelligence, possibly something more to some

A Magician will do his trick, but its up to the audience if they want to believe in magic

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Breadfan
There may be several reasons for why hoaxers hoax.
Some of them are looking for fame, some of them are just bunch of lameazzes who want to piss people off and the third kind..(enter soft piano music)..

The third kind are the dreamers. Yes. They want their dreams, their beliefs in aliens and outter world to be true. In their desperate need of proof, something that would validate their time and effort spent in research for ETs, they decide to create their own world of things happening, saucers flying, alien encounteres etc.

They know it's a lie and they know they created it, but they decide to live it and treat it as real as possible, they want to see how would it look like to be a part of that ... fantastic story.

Hi Breadfan , you forgot to mention the fourth kind, ..(I switch off your soft piano music if you don’t mind).. and the most important one in my opinion.
The people that hoaxing matters like for instance the reality of the Extraterrestrial presence and therefore indeed outer worlds, alien crafts [some also secret military crafts], alien encounters etc, for certain secret reasons.

To bring those real existing matters as much as possible in discredit of course, so many people think that it is therefore not true and what amazingly succeeded so far I must admit.
And you know that of course.

Originally posted by Breadfan
BTW, this post was a hoax, do NOT believe the word I'm saying!

It wasn’t necessary to mention that so specific, I understood that already.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
First, I don't think we should separate the UFO related hoaxes from the "common" hoaxes, the reasons are probably the same, the fact that some people here fell it more painfully than others is not relevant to the reason of the hoax because hoaxing applies to all things.

One of the reasons that could make me create a hoax is the way people react, seeing the people's reaction gives us a new understanding of how they think.

It may also be related to the way some people like to gamble, like the 1810 Berners Street prank or simpler things that get out of control, like the "WTC Guy".

I think they will exist as long as human beings exist, we just have to live with that as with all other things related to human behaviour.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Wow, all very good reasons, glad I asked the question. I guess my hing is I wish hoaxers would'nt hoax UFO's and things of tht nature. Why you may ask? well, I have people that I know that are on the fence and want some proof to believe, yet evey piece of information I find, turns out to be a hoax. And it's not like I need my people to agree with me, it's just a matter of "Seriously guys, I'm not crazy, I'm telling you, there is no way that there is not inteligent life out there somewhere."

Either way, thanks for the replies, opened my eyes a bit on the subject.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Lol, for those of you who think they can successfully "hoax" a UFO photograph, or an "alien" or a ghost for example, think again.

There are ways to analyze such images that are outside conventional photographic analysis to help confirm if what's showing in the photograph or movie is authentic or not.

It takes a trained eye to be able to do this kind of analysis, much like how lab technicians have to go through a training program to be able to identify and analyze those specimens they are seeing through their microscopes.

But I'm the last person who will go into any detail about this other method of analysis because it goes without saying that there are hoaxers out there who will use such information for their own devious purposes.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916
I have wondered for some time now why hoaxers create hoax pictures and videos of ET. I understand that they want attention. Do they not realize that creating hoaxes only makes it harder and harder to get the majority of skeptics to believe in the true existance in ET.

Hi Finn1916, your intentions are good, so
and strrd, and you are absolute right by saying that hoaxes only makes it harder and harder to get the majority of skeptics to believe in the true existance in ET.
No doubt about that.

It also makes it harder to find real proof of UFO and ET in general.

You are right about that either, so you must try to find your way in all the available information there is today, and try to separate true or false and fact or fiction so you can make a solid opinion for your own.
That isn’t easy just because of the decennia ongoing hoaxing by people and denying, debunking and hoaxing especially by the US government and military, but there are definitely very good and sincere trustworthy investigators, and credible sites.
But the investigators themselves must be aware of being lied to and mislead.

Basically, I wish that hoaxers would find something else to hoax and leave us in the UFO and ET community alone.

You know that that isn’t going to happen.
It will end when the time is there that disclosure find place thru Earth government’s channels, or the UN, or the Extraterrestrials themselves.
And that time comes closer and closer.

[edit on 30/3/08 by spacevisitor]

[edit on 30/3/08 by spacevisitor]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
You won't like the answer.

The ufo community is an easy target for hoaxers because they/we jump all over a pie-pan hanging on a fishing line as proof that the mother ship has arrived! Some 'believers' become so blinded in the belief of the ufo phenomenon that they forget common sense and except any blurry image, video, or made up story as fact that the ufo's are real. This allows the hoaxers just what they need.

I think this thread was started because of the thread, "How far down does the rabbit hole go...". In that thread you can see how some posters are chastised by other and labeled, "evil debunkers" simply because they want proof not 30 pages of dribble.
If ATS is to be considered an honest open forum on the discussion of ufo's, then we need to be able to ask for the proof and not be criticized for asking or every jokester in the world will post outlandish stories in here just make us look like a school of suckers just waiting for the hook.

Bottom line, don't let anyone make you the fool of their practical joke.

Redd.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join