It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Escape Routes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Everyday, I come here to read what's going on in this world. And as everyday goes by, I often wonder when disaster will strike. There are many people here that have escape routes, caches, and cabins/shelters setup in case of disasters.

My question is if anybody knows someplace where one can find good escape routes out of cities. I live in Chicago, and it would be hard to leave town in case something happens. Yes, you have sidestreets you can take, but I don't know how far off the beaten path you would have to travel.

I know it's somewhat controversial because you don't want to give up your secret hiding places. But I think that it would be good to have a list or routes someplace where you can safely leave town if need be.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Not a bad idea to have a vespa packed up and ready to go. As in 'The stand' by Stephen King the highways will be impassable for the most part. But with a smallish motor bike you should be able to pick and weave enough to bug out. Head for the hills.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I think you need to accept the fact that leaving a major city is not going to be an easy, if even possible, task. I watched what happen in the Houston/Galveston area in Rita 2005.

I live 90 to 100 miles west of Houston. There was a grid lock out to a town near me from two directions. Stop and go traffic for 90+ miles. This was one of only four directions of travel out of Houston and one from another coastal area. People had had two to three days to get started. I now know when officials in Houston tell people it is better to leave they are doing a disservice. It isn't possible with the roads and fuel situation to do it.

Guess if you find yourself in a bad situation there, pray you get the jump on everyone else or hope to survive in the city. Maybe it will be better there and I hope so. From what I saw it just seemed hopeless.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Thanks for all the great information. It's scarey, but something that you need to plan in advanced.

All of this reminds me of the tv show Jericho. I'm really surprised that there hasn't been more talk about it. Maybe people don't want to think about it so they won't watch the show. Too bad it is cancelled[again].

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Not so bad in the UK, except for some of the bigger cities esp London, but I live in a small(ish) town and I think a ready rucksack and a bicycle would give me a decent advantage if the proverbial hits the fan.

Would just cycle out to wales, camp out on a mountain for a few days and then go on a provision hunt... Once things were relatively calm I would try and get on the B-roads and (somehow) drive somewhere remote.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I think being realistic you'd need multiple exit strategies to be sure you don't get 'stuck'.

Also, you'd really need multiple plans for different types of disasters. Heading for the hills might be great if water is what you're escaping, but it sure as hell won't help in a nuclear disaster.

That's my opinion anyway, it's not something I have much experience with. I am getting a scooter though so perhaps I have less to worry about as-is. I just figure that it's almost not worth having a life if you're going to spend it worrying so much about a disaster that may never even happen.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Keeping upwind of a nuclear cloud would be my number one concern to avoid the fallout. But I agree. I'm too old and tired to really care anymore. I'd probably just go out in the front lawn with a pint and say 'se la vi'.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I suggest filling the tank on every day off and hitting the road. Keep your eyes peeled for anything along your route that might be of help in stix. i.e old dirt roads, ghost towns, any abandoned place for shelter for the night just in case you do get stuck for the night.

We have been taking many road trips over the last few months, we are getting to know EVERY back road. It is fun and educational. Take a picnic along as most of your trips will lead to the boondocks with no McDonalds.

But the childen are loving it and talk about getting some good family time in. WOW it is great.

Good Luck

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomataprice

Great post. Glad to see your family out having fun with the bonus of learning things that might save them. I suspect many people would underestimate the value of what you are learning.

top topics

join