It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball blast from the past

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Back in 1985, Sports Illustrated ran a story about a pitcher at the Met's spring traning facility who was a top secret, fireball throwing phenom. The article had pictures of the tall, skinny pitcher throwing the ball wearing one shoe and, if I recall correctly, pictures of him pitching in full mets gear, save one cleat, which was replaced with a work boot. The pitcher, Hayden "Sidd" Finch threw the ball as high as 168 miles an hour with frightening accuracy. Finch wasn't sure if he wanted to pitch but, having "learned the art of pitching," he figured he'd give it a shot. One week after the article appeared in SI, a short blurb appeared, explaining that the pitcher's self imposed deadline for deciding if he wanted to play professional baseball had come and at a press conference he announced he was not going to play. He then apologized to the catchers for the pain he inflicted in their catching hands.

I remember reading the article as a kid and, being a huge Met fan, I was freaked out. I was 16 and the Mets were slowly turning the team around and this phenom was going to ensure a world series win. the way they talked about him, you envisioned him pitching every day, with each game being a perfect game.

Several years later, in college, "Sidd Finch" became the name we gave to new freshman rushing our fraternity who we thought might be the needed piece for one of our teams to lock in a fraternity championship and, hopefully, the coveted Riese Cup (frat championship thing that, apparently, was a big deal).

Well, Sports Illustrated has put every issue in their archives online and, with the 23rd anniversay of Hayden "Sidd" Finch's coming out party fast approaching, I thought I'd mention it.

Here's the link:
vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com...

oh, one last, very important thing to note. George Plimpton's article appeared in the April 1, 1985 issue. That's right, it was all a joke. A hell of an April Fool's Day prank that was so well done that the magazine eventually had to admit it was a prank. Seems a hell of a lot of people believed the story.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I remember that spring.

I'd say more believed then didn't. I know I did for a while 'til I looked at the date and the 115mph fastball, or what ever it was.

It's even funnier in retrospect.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
nice story and point indeed Crakeur.

as long as it is a believable story there will always be people that will believe it was true.

join