It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Mass Consciousness Experiment #1

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The Experiment

This thread is an experiment testing a somewhat "paranormal" effect observed by Art Bell. When a large number of people simultaneously concentrate on a single event happening (such as the weather changing, etc.), it has been known to mysteriously come true, as though the collective concentration of a large enough number of minds can actually manipulate time/space at will.

As far-fetched as this concept may seem, this experiment intends to simply try this alleged effect out through the participation of ATS's large and helpful community. If you would like to participate, all you need to do is concentrate on the specified event (which will be posted below), at the appropriate time. There's no need to post or even register on ATS - participating is completely anonymous and can easily be done at your leisure from the comfort of your home.

Personally, I'm skeptical, yet optimistic. If early experiments are successful, we will be able to attempt more and more ambitious experiments, as more and more people will most likely participate. If unsuccessful, then no harm is done and only a few seconds time is wasted on your part.

The Time

The scheduled time for "the experiment" is currently March 29, 2008, at 6:00 PM (California time). For a time-zone independent countdown, click this link:

CLICK HERE For Experiment Countdown

At the exact time, everyone who wants to participate is suggested to concentrate on the chosen event (below) happening. Don't worry about how long or hard you concentrate - just give it a good try, and you're done. Also, try not to be too skeptical when concentrating - for the sake of the experiment, try to really get into it and believe that it really will happen as a result of your concentration.

The Event

At the designated time only: Picture the statue of liberty in New York. Right above the statue's head, concentrate on a bright light forming - imagine an "orb" shining with a beautiful bright, soft light, above the statue of liberty's head, almost like a brilliant second moon. Concentrate on this light, confident that it will appear. Imagine the brightness, shining down from the clearly visible "orb".

Statue of Liberty Webcam

Results

The result of the experiment will be verified as soon as possible (hopefully within a day), and posted.

[edit on 29-3-2008 by ac500]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I think this is a good experiment, but I don't like the idea of gathering so many birds in San Francisco. I used to live there for many years and I think that many birds would cause disruption and disturbances, as well as mayhem in the City. Sorry, can't participate because of that.
Now if it were an experiment to somehow promote peace, or heal a certain person from AIDS or whatever, I could join that. But this seems to not be a good thing.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Who is going to provide evidence on the San Francisco sky. I would expect a video or at least a time stamped picture.

I will be thinking of birds when the clock stops, if this works I feel bad for the pedestrians below!! Hope they remembered their hats

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I think this is a good experiment, but I don't like the idea of gathering so many birds in San Francisco. I used to live there for many years and I think that many birds would cause disruption and disturbances, as well as mayhem in the City.

That's too bad. The "birds" experiment was the most popular and compatible experiment for our first, due to it's fairly verifiable and relatively harmless nature.

I don't think a huge flock of bids would be harmful in any way - I'm sure everyone will get on with their day with or without a huge flock of birds passing overhead (it's not like they'll stay there all day). It certainly would be a disturbance, but that's actually what we want - to make an event that we could really say for sure that we created. BTW, I doubt there are enough birds in the area to make a flock as dense as the picture I posted - that's just for reference to aid concentration.

Who is going to provide evidence on the San Francisco sky. I would expect a video or at least a time stamped picture.

If it's a big flock, it will probably be caught on video / film by someone at least. Maybe we can find a San Francisco webcam somewhere.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Great initiative. I've read Lynne McTaggert' Books. Also i read synchrodestiny by Chopra

I do think you better get a subject that helps this planet but i understand you need to measure something

Let's all think those evil leaders away.

Thought and intention are supressed and denied human powers.

www.theintentionexperiment.com...

[edit on 29-3-2008 by abovetech]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
I think this is a good experiment, but I don't like the idea of gathering so many birds in San Francisco. I used to live there for many years and I think that many birds would cause disruption and disturbances, as well as mayhem in the City. Sorry, can't participate because of that.
Now if it were an experiment to somehow promote peace, or heal a certain person from AIDS or whatever, I could join that. But this seems to not be a good thing.

i agree. we would be messing with the natural rhythm of those birds and demanding our will over theirs to fly up and around san fran. on a very real level, we would be tinkering around with other life. we did not get permission from them [as ridiculous as that sounds, it's true], so it's not an act of kindness.

we have to stop thinking that human will is more important than the will of any other being on this planet. we are not the center of the universe.

i'd be find with this experiment if it wasn't manipulating life. i'd even be fine with persuading a human to do something, if we received permission from said human beforehand to mess with his/her freewill.

to top it off, the time of 6PM Pacific coincides with my 8PM Central, and that is my Earth Hour. this is nearly ironic, since the purpose of Earth Hour is to bring about awareness that our human actions in this world need to be reckoned for and how we need to do our part in sustaining and preserving the Earth.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
So if the birds don't fly; are we to assume that Mass Consciousness doesn't exist?

Or what if only a portion of the birds fly? What are we to assume then?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
banyan / forestlady: It's a little late now, but I could change the topic if you think it's necessary. What would you suggest?

Other than the birds idea, most of the other suggestions I got was giving people explosive diarrhea or loud farts and making women walk around half-naked. Hardly a good set of choices.

The curing a disease suggestion is a good cause but too big and unprovable a task for our first experiment.

The "make a glowing orb" experiment might be a compatible topic with everyone, but I doubt it will work (if it does, we'll be famous though).

Unless someone suggests otherwise, I guess I'll change the experiment to making a glowing orb over the head of the statue of liberty.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ac500

A problem with the farting/nakedness thing, and with the bird experiment, is that it's dealign with beigns with free will. Evne if consciousness manipulation was possible, it might not be able to actually force someone or something to make specific choices. As for a "psychic orb" (
), I would suggest against it because that breaks a few more laws of physics that simple telekinesis does. I'd try to see if psychic powers even exist before trying to make a fireworks show. Even if we can manipualte the world with our mind, it still doesn't mean we can do things that are physically impossible.

Unfortunately, I'm coming up with a blank as to good experiments.

[edit on 3-29-2008 by Esoterica]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Thirst of all, thank you for organizing this. It takes time and nerve cells
. I will do my utmost to be "there" ,no promises though because it is 4 at night here.
As for the "not-working" worries - this is not a rocket launch. Could easily be repeated/modified.
As for guys worrying about birds fillings - i respect you and your opinion, but maybe some bird will be saved from a cat that would eat it otherwise? Cat fillings are also important .....But we are saving a life here.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
First of all, I don't see how a large population of people can concentrate on something to make it true. If it worked, why doesn't everyone in the world concentrate on eliminating world hunger or something? Not to dispute the idea, just thinking aloud. There are forces that work beyond human comprehension.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Thirst of all, thank you for organizing this. It takes time and nerve cells

Thanks

Honestly I don't know what the big deal is about birds, but since this experiment really does rely on the intentions of the participants (which is a good thing, really), I've changed the topic to the "orb" idea. Unfortunately, this type of experiment is probably far more unlikely to succeed depending on the number of people participating, but I guess it's worth a try anyway.

Even if the first experiment doesn't work, we can have a new one every few days / weeks and maybe people will still participate.

First of all, I don't see how a large population of people can concentrate on something to make it true. If it worked, why doesn't everyone in the world concentrate on eliminating world hunger or something? Not to dispute the idea, just thinking aloud. There are forces that work beyond human comprehension.

Well I'm sure there's a limit to what you can do depending on how many people concentrate. Something like world hunger probably can't be solved "magically" using this method, because it may be too big a problem. For example, it 100 million people are starving, and 3 billion people concentrated on solving this problem, then there would be the equivalent of 30 people's will power trying to feed each person. Not only would the question in this case be "are 30 people enough to achieve this goal per-person?", but also a question of how will manipulates time/space - does it manipulate the quantum "randomeness" (for lack of the actual term) in a way that achieves a goal, or can it actually materialize matter / energy? If only the former was true, you could only solve world hunger by taking food from one place and distributing it to another, so there would be consequences to such an action, if at all possible.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Hey, thanks for changing the topic. Now an orb over the good Lady's head, that I can really go for. I would suggest that we can take it a step further:
to picture an orb over the Statue of Liberty's head - it would be an orb that is pinkish-gold and full of loving energy. It could be used to shine down on her and heal her symbolically; I think Lady Liberty has taken quite a beating lately. Does that sound good, would anyone object to that? OP, what say you?

You could still have an experiment to see if an orb is spotted over head, this would just add a really good intention to it. Another intention might be to not have a WW3.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Personally, I think the orb will be more likely to succeed, because you have to concentrate on too many things at once (the bird population in San Fran), instead of just one simple area. Now do we have a webcam or some kind of footage on the on the statue of liberty to verify if this works? I don't think relying on the news to report it is a good idea.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
EarthCam has a live feed of Lady Liberty. We could use that.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
We aren't going to have enough people. Thousands of people concentrate every day when they pray or mediate on achieving world peace. It doesn't happen. Do you really think 10 ATSers can do this? I'll try for the hell of it.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Nice, I like the webcam! Perfect.

I agree that it might not be possible to change the laws of physics, so something like a glowing orb would be much more difficult at the very least. Unfortunately, some people object to a more "natural" manipulation like birds swarming, so we'll have to stick with the orb for the first experiment unless we can think of something better.

If the orb experiment doesn't work, we can try something a little more natural shortly after. We spent a week preparing for this experiment, but now we have a nice collection of ideas, gathering interest, etc. so now we're set to do as many experiments as we want.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Oh no... I missed it! Somehow I thought it was for 7:00 but the countdown clearly says 6:00!
. I checked the countdown at 6:30 and it said "30 minutes", but I didn't notice that it said "past" the deadline, and not "until" the deadline.

Oh well. Hopefully other people won't be as stupid as I was. I wonder if it worked? I don't see any orbs, but the crown is glowing (I guess that's normal).

If not, then no big deal. We can try something else tomorrow. Of course, if experiment after experiment fails to work, we'll have to give up eventually.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by InterestedObserver

The question is do these people believe in the strength of their prayers. Most people don't beleive world peace will happen yet pray,basically wishful thinking.Just going through the motions.A habbit if you will.No disrespect but you say the same thing.You don't believe but "for the hell of it."

If you have the faith you can do ANYTHING. Unwavering faith.

Faith is believing in something you can't see but now is real.

<<   2 >>

join