It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Army scraps Comanche helicopter project

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
UNFRICKINBELIEVABLE!.....All the hype and riff-raff that it was the next best tech.Better have something comin' to replace it.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
What? You actually expected the Commanche to come out? It was obvious that something was wrong with the project seeing as how it had been in development for such a looooong time. Oh well, big whoop.

At least some cool PC flight sims were spawned by the Comanche project. Oh, and that one scene in The Hulk were the Comanche's were shooting at him in the canyon. Yep, definately worth 8 bil.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Helicopter recon vehicle? Sounds like the hover/spy robotic devices that the marines currently have in dev. Probably a larger, more lethal version of those.

UAV is the future. You can see that by how protesters are concentrating on the casualty count of the other side, and not US forces

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I knew this would happen, as I wrote in a previous post. The Comanche was an absolute waste of money. They pretty much tried to emulate the capabilities of the F-117A in an attack helicopter and failed miserably.

For one thing, the Comanche could hardly carry weapons. To carry more meant it would have to sacrifice stealth capability. And the ability to turn horizontally flat doesn't have much use.

The Comanche was doomed from the start. It was something that could never work.

The Army will have to seriously get it's AH-64D Longbow Apache program working. It'll be useless, but it'll be far more useful than the Comanche.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Just bad timing is all. F-22 and JSF just made it in under the wire.

The future belongs to unmanned combat vehicles. Gentlemen,
man the Joysticks.

For those who luv the Abrams, the Army is next. Starting
with tanks. Bet the Abrams is the last main battle tank.

Navy will be sorta last. They are still recovering from
the USS JFK fiasco.

/\/ight\/\/ing

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Can't they make some stripped down version to sell to other countries?

I guess it doesn't work that way in the military business.

for real, just sell the info weve already learned to israel or one of our other allies. what a waste of money DUBYA!!!!!!! oh yea thats right, we gotta quit spendin so we can ship your @ss to mars

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I doubt that UAVs are going to completely replace manned military equipment. We did have a sort-of annoucement of progress into anti-gravity last year.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
That is BUNK! That reconaissance copter could of helped out the army soooo much....not to mention the capabilities of the craft. They had better have a replacement or I'm gonna be pissed.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
I knew this would happen, as I wrote in a previous post. The Comanche was an absolute waste of money. They pretty much tried to emulate the capabilities of the F-117A in an attack helicopter and failed miserably.

That is not the case, where did you get that info from? The Commanche was solely intended as a battlefield recon asset with some attack capability.

For one thing, the Comanche could hardly carry weapons. To carry more meant it would have to sacrifice stealth capability. And the ability to turn horizontally flat doesn't have much use.

First, the Commanche could carry plenty of ordnance for what it needed to do. It would only carry more after knocking out all the AAA assets that would have been it's greatest threat.
Second, that ability to turn proved quite useful to Marine Cobra's in Iraq. Who are you to tell whether or not a maneuver is useful. Are you a pilot, I didn't think so. Playing video games does not allow you to speak on the subject of helicopter maneuvers.

The Comanche was doomed from the start. It was something that could never work.

Actually, they proved that it could work. The problem was never finding an end point for the design. Too much stuff needed to be placed into too little a package.

The Army will have to seriously get it's AH-64D Longbow Apache program working. It'll be useless, but it'll be far more useful than the Comanche.

Again, who are you to comment on the usefulness of a weapons system? The Longbow is the best that we have for now, updating it will only make it better.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Comanche helicopter

Put that into Google. Look at first or second listing.

Boeing-Sikorsky RAH-66 Comanche Stealth Helicopter. is what it will say.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by gooking
What a waste of money. I thought the bush admin. cancelled the crusader project because they believe air power would be the way and now they cancelled the comanche. What are they thinking?

They think Expensive UAVs with Guided Bombs and Missiles.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join