It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harut and Marut taught what in Babylon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Hopefully posing this question will not be entirely fruitless, if I explain properly what I'm wondering about. The epicenter is the Koranic verse 2:102, where they talk about what the (some say bad, but, probably not) angels Harut and Marut taught the (probably bad) men in Babylon, but it seems intriguingly mysterious as to what sort of thing the teaching was.
(Now I already know that the best answer to this question is " Shut up and learn Arabic ". Duly noted.)
Now I'm not looking for what the more authoritative and correct and high-minded commentators and compilers of the traditions would have to say, which seems to be mainly that angels cannot in fact be evil, and that the folk tales that spring up around this verse allege things contrary to the nature of Allah. I'm also not asking about parallelism between this and the Masons versus Solomon, or the angel names versus gods from Armenia, or other similarly written-sourced chains of concept.
What I'm wondering about is the current oral tradition, the living transmission, when a kid growing up Islamic asks his uncle what this verse means, " Harut and Marut taught them what ?"...What answer is in real life nowadays given?
Anybody who can shed light on this would be kind.
( I'm not against the questionable exciting tales of magic, or fishing for them particularly either. I'm just hoping for examples of what real people say among themselves, in current-type usage, know what I mean?).

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I know I shouldn't give you a one line answer but Babylon suggests magic. Perhaps it was a 'good' magic to heal some ailment that hte people had but was then twisted to make the magic evil. Nevertheless you cannot ignore the Masonic and Illuminati forces - they want a return to Babylon.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Magic = Science. That's your answer.

"And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do; and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do."

That's right, God, you get worried because mankind is AFTER YOU. We KNOW your secrets are technology and we KNOW we will one day be as gods ourselves.

That's right, you better run!

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'd guess it was astrology, the main "science" of Babylon. That and maybe the basics behind constructing multi story buildings of bricks. Perhaps they also taught the secrets of language.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Verse 102: They followed what the Shayatin (devils) gave out (falsely of the magic) in the lifetime of Sulayman (Solomon). Sulayman did not disbelieve, but the Shayatin (devils) disbelieved, teaching men magic and such things that came down at Babylon to the two angels, Harut and Marut, but neither of these two (angels) taught anyone (such things) till they had said, "We are for trial, so disbelieve not (by learning this magic from us).'' And from these (angels) people learn that by which they cause separation between man and his wife, but they could not thus harm anyone except by Allah's leave. And they learn that which harms them and profits them not. And indeed they knew that the buyers of it (magic) would have no share in the Hereafter. And how bad indeed was that for which they sold their own selves, if they but knew

Verse 103: And if they had believed and guarded themselves from evil and kept their duty to Allah, far better would have been the reward from their Lord, if they but knew!)

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
An important distinction to make is that the devils(Shayateen) and the angels(Malakeen) are mentioned separately in the Verse. And that magic(Sihar) is mentioned only once - that the Shayateen taught men magic. Harut and Marut are mentioned as having taught 'such things' and that too with due warning.

So what exactly did Harut and Marut teach at babylon? That is unclear. What is clear is that they did not teach magic, but whatever they taught was powerful.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join