It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: New Hampshire State Law Doesn't Forbid Guns In Schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
An elementary student brought a handgun to school, but according to New Hampshire State Law he did not commit a criminal act. This frustrates Sandown police who wanted to charge the child's mother, who gave her son to permission to bring the gun to school.

theunionleader.com
"According to an affidavit filed with the court, Donna Henderson, 44, had given her son permission to take the broken Raven .25-caliber pistol with him as long as he did not take it out of the bag at Sandown North Elementary. The plan was to show the gun to a friend after school at the friend?s home."

An elementary student who brought a handgun to school has been expelled for 10 days. The mother stated that she thought it was okay for her son to bring the weapon to school, since the firing pin was removed and it wasn't loaded. The school district could not produce a copy of its policy banning guns, but a federal law passed in 1994 requires expulsion for students bringing a firearm to school. Rockingham County Attorney Jim Reams who was denied an arrest warrant, wants to know why New Hampshire does not have a state law which makes bringing a handgun to school illegal. Some New Hampshire school districts are afraid of charging children with criminal penalties.
The State Legislature has only to look at the news from last week when a fifth-grader at Brookland Elementary, a Northeast D.C school, was suspended for threatening other students with a gun. The logic that determines that laws are not necessary is flawed, and is a classic example of "This won't happen to me." A 4th grader with a gun is just as deadly as an adult with a gun. Hopefully, the State will use this wakeup call wisely to make it clear actions like this must not happen.

Further reading: What are the gun laws in your state?

[Edited on 23-2-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Im not so sure they are as easy going as that atricle may say.When I lived in new hampshire my brother was not only expelled permanently for bringing a small lock blade knife to school...they had him arrested! For a lock-blade.They said his friend was smoking cigarettes so they school searched both of them and he had the small knife.They went ahead and had him arrested and charged and he was not allowed to return to a new hampshire public school again.

But we did get him a good lawyer and got all the charges dropped.

[Edited on 23-2-2004 by McGotti]

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Bringing a handgun to school is not a good idea.

On the other hand I find it interesting that the anti-gun lobby thinks that their opinions on this subject is the rule of the land when it is obvious many people do not agree with them.

new topics

join