It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hadron Accelerator to kill us all?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Stop the scientists before they destroy us all! That's what a Hawaii man with a background in nuclear physics is asking a court to do. Walter F. Wagner and his colleague Luis Sancho have filed a federal lawsuit seeking to stop work on the Large Hadron Collider, a gigantic atom smasher on the Franco-Swiss border that's set to start operations in May.

Source

Apparently, this scientist is concerned with the possibility that a blackhole could swallow up the planet, and has done this to prevent it. At least he is trying to do something.

Is there a possibility that he could be right? I know that I have read elsewhere about this on ATS.

ATS page

My question is, more than just is there merit to his assertions, but does this lawsuit validate concerns many of us have shared at the thought of colliding atoms, something that has already been done?

Thoughts? I am by no means a physicist, but I do love the recreational study of it.

Hadron Collider News (CERN)

Hadron Page

Expose on the possible danger of the Hadron

The Plaintiff's Webpage (credit FOX.com)

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
After going over some of the things on Walter's site, it seems he is a respectable man. His page includes arguments against his theories, which one rarely sees. He gives good reason to listen to him and his theories just by that fact alone - he is willing to be wrong.

That at least tells me he may not only know what he is talking about, but he is willing to keep to the science as well. But his concern is very strong, evidenced by the fact that he is suing to keep the Hadron from being built and that he is even asking for donations to fund the legal fees.

We are seeking donations to provide for legal intervention. We suggest a donation of $10.00, but would be delighted if your donation were larger. We expect to encounter expenses in excess of $100,000 in this action.

Same link as above for Plaintiff Homepage (legal fee quote)

What Scientists Say

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by obilesk
Apparently, this scientist is concerned with the possibility that a blackhole could swallow up the planet, and has done this to prevent it.

You know what they say. You can't make an omelete without breaking a few eggs. If we all get sucked into a black hole, I guess that will teach us, huh? Oops!

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

Yeah that did actually occur to me. there is always someone that is fearful of great strides to achieve knowledge. On the other hand, in a world of near endless possibilities, it only takes one time that the fringe scaredy-cats are right to make the rest of us look stupid - but just for second as we watch our planet sucked up into nothing

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Great one more thing to worry about.

In this case I was better off remaining ignorant.

You know I bet Oppenheimer had the same mis-givings about the atom bomb, but that turned out alright.

[edit on 29-3-2008 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
if you're really that worried about it - go and talk to them in person and hear what they have to say! they're opening their doors to the public on april 6th and you can go to any of the 8 points around the ring. i would love to go myself but cannot make it due to time constrictions in getting there and back.

more info here

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I suppose on the plus side, If we were all to be sucked into a black hole we could consider ourselves lucky that we..
-All get to experience being sucked into a black hole
-Know for sure that they exist
-All know for sure how the Earth ended
and most importantly we wouldnt have to spend eternities paying taxes and such. You never know we could get sucked into a parallel reality where the governments pay us.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by lezvigi
You never know we could get sucked into a parallel reality where the governments pay us.

That's happening in the US right now. Normally the rich steal a trillion dollars from the gov't, the gov't pays out a trillion dollars to the poor, they tax the middle class a trillion dollars and write an IOU to the dummy bankers for a trillion.

They've done away with that economic model and now they are just passing out trillions of dollars to everyone.

Wanna bet how this all ends?

[edit on 29-3-2008 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Yeah, theres a system of getting free money here in the UK too (assuming your in the US that is) which is do absolutley nothing all your life and sponge of the rest of the country with our marvellous benefits system!

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
In may you say this device is turned on ?

www.news.com.au...

Well these mad Russians are saying May is the end of the World actually...scarey.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by lezvigi

Hmm, I guess looking on the bright side (black..side.., dark.. W/E) is possible in any case.

Yeah I am not too worried, but the science of smashing things together at near light speed and seeing what happens is so cool. When I was a kid I smashed things for the same reason, albeit at a much reduced speed.

I wonder though if his (Walter's) science is so compelling that it merits real worry from those that actually understand it, or does he have some ulterior motive (professional/personal vendetta)? Hard to say, but I wonder if this really is one of those times we should at least consider the possibility that the fringe-fearful may be right.

Then again, it is only a theory.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

Yeah it would be quite informative to go, but the same constraints afflict me as well - kids, wife, job...

The next time a scientific symposium or conference happens during the summer near Lansing then I will definitely consider it.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
An ATOM SMASHER???

what in the world is that...and why would we even want one of those! The name alone sounds ridiculous- clearly it has the power to destroy the planet...Whether or not this guy is right, the idea of "atom smashing" is for sure dangerous...This won't end well if we start manipulating atoms or destroying them(?)...

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
an amusing related picture

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by PimpyMcgibbins
An ATOM SMASHER???

what in the world is that...and why would we even want one of those! The name alone sounds ridiculous- clearly it has the power to destroy the planet...Whether or not this guy is right, the idea of "atom smashing" is for sure dangerous...This won't end well if we start manipulating atoms or destroying them(?)...

Well they have been "atom smashing" for years, what they are developing (the LHC) is a sub-atomic particle smasher. Are you an ignorant, pitch-fork-wielding peasant, come to slay the monster? You didn't know anything about the subject in question, and yet you know you don't want one. Perhaps we should go back to calling science witchcraft?

Despite the knee-jerk reactions, I happen to work for one of the organisations that helps fund this project, and the reason I don't really want them to go through with this is because of the scientist's uncertainty. They think it probably won't destroy the planet, which is good enough for me[/sarcasm].

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

They think it probably won't destroy the planet, which is good enough for me[/sarcasm].

Well the A bomb didn't destroy the planet like some scientists thought so heck they are at least 1-0 time to try again.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Even if there was a disaster looming, do you think they would operate the atom smasher at 100% and worry about containing a blackhole afterwards? I don't think so. Undoubtedly they would start at the maximum limit attainable today by current accelerators and wind it up bit by bit observing any potential risks along the way. Theses scientists are not stupid.... You can never eliminate all risks but the probability of catastrophe if all experimental protocols are followed would be negligible IMO.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It probably won't destroy the planet, but all your ignorance and paranoia probably will...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
i know that the atom smasher will affect world ecosystems dramatically,we are actually finishing ourselves off slowly but surely

new topics

top topics

join