It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News and Conservative Views

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
One can not linger here on ATS Above Politics for long and not run into the comment, "Faux News", while admittedly juvenile and a weak attempt at presenting a view point the speaker obviously has some difficulty with, one must examine the negative as well as the positive to gain a complete understanding.

Fox News popularity is well documented.

Fox News

So while some may consider themselves astute enough to decide for the rest of the nation what they should and should not watch, apparently massive amounts of people disagree.

With MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, NPR and CNN all spouting liberal agenda power points at every opportunity, why is the success of the only news organization presenting even a partial Conservative viewpoint, a problem?

Are not 6 Liberal mouth-pieces compared to 1, fair to Libs?

Or is it the well documented phenomenon of the Liberal aversion to losing?

National Center

Exactly represented in the Liberal attempt at silencing Conservative Talk Radio due to their failure in the Liberal Genre of talk radio. Simply a perfect example of the free market at work. Yet the Libs can't stand it.

It has nothing to do with Fox personally, it also has nothing to do with the fact that the Liberals have many more "Mouth Pieces" than the Conservatives; it has everything to do with the fact that America prefers Conservative talk and Conservative news.

Semper

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Well foreign media outlets are only of interest to me for world news. Unlike US TV news networks the BBC is a genuine world news network and if I am after purely a American focus there is always CNN. I can remember being during the wee hours watching news coverage of the war in Lebanon. I was flicking between the BBC and Fox News coverage on Free to Air TV.

Note in the above paragraph I refer to the BBC and CNN websites I don't have Sky TV.

While the BBC reported on events in its usual dry manner A Fox reporter blabbed on utter dribble something related to Israeli Combat Engineers . But if hey if you don't like a media outlet simply don't read , listen or watch it is the best way of lodging your views. Clearly if I am up during the early hours I don't bother with Fox News.

[edit on 29-3-2008 by xpert11]

[edit on 29-3-2008 by xpert11]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
First of all, Id like to say that as a Briton, I feel that I am able to present an impartial analysis of the American media in comparison to the media in the UK.

If we are able to eliminate all the constants in the situation, such as ownership and presentation style, we are able to analyse the preferences of the population as a whole.

As Fox News and Sky News are both owned by Murdoch, we can make a direct comparison between both. I find that Sky news tends to be far more neutral or moderate than Fox News. That said, Sky News is the most right wing news channel that we have in the UK. Fox News offers a viewpoint which is definitely right of centre, which I must admit is a very refreshing change from the liberal media. CNN and CNBC are definitely left of centre and I find them to be too heavily biased towards the Democrats for my liking. As a rule I also find Fox news to be heavily opinionated by the presenters rather than the channel as a whole. We can find different opinions presented by figures like Mort Kondracke. Is this not a form of balance in itself?

From these observations we can draw conclusions that :

1. The American viewership is more conservative than the British viewership. I find, as a rule, Americans are also more conservative than Britons.

2. American news is more opinionated, and none of the options are "neutral". The choice you have to make is between Republican and Democrat channels.

3. As a result Fox News has considerable popularity because it is the only conservative voice amidst the liberal media.

Perhaps the stereotypes that exist such as "liberal media" for most channels, and "Faux News" for Fox, are true appelations considering the extent of their slant on the news as compared to British News.

As such, would America benefit from a more neutral (if not moderate) voice in the media? I posit not. People tend to enjoy receiving news from a source which is in line with their views.
I certainly would enjoy a more conservative voice in the British media, but such a channel would be unpopular here considering the mass liberality [sic] of the British public.

Enjoy Fox News while it lasts, if Hillary gets in no doubt she will issue gag orders against the channel!

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Unlike US TV news networks the BBC is a genuine world news network ....

Genuine .. not with an agenda eh?

Well, at least they have the good manners to admit they are bias .

another bbc bias story
another source
Honest Reporting exposes BBC Left Bias
BBC biased on religion and politics - another source
BBC admits anti-Christian bias

BBC? No thanks.

[edit on 3/29/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
FlyersFan you misunderstood my point. I wasn't referring to the BBC political biases I was referring to the fact that the BBC actually lives up to its billing of being a world news network. US news outlets ideas of world news tends to be to US centric for my liking . The reasons for this go beyond the scope of this thread.

The 6 o'clock news seems to care more about NZ fashion week then they do world news that is why I have to look else where . As I said the BBC reports news rather then dribble I will make up my own mind about the events that are being reported on. I never said that you should watch , listen or read BBC stories . What media outlets you get your news from is your choice. I don't want to see people freedom of choice in terms of media outlets taken away .

The World Net Daily , Life site News your family and culture outpost , and The entertainment Guide out of those from what I saw I might be inclined to bother with the The entertainment Guide . You would struggle to find a media outlet that doesn't have some form of biases .

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
I was referring to the fact that the BBC actually lives up to its billing of being a world news network.

And I was showing that it isn't really a 'news' network.
It's an agenda network.
It's a world AGENDA network. Not a world news network.

You would struggle to find a media outlet that doesn't have some form of biases .

The BBC doesn't have 'some form' of biases. It is completely biased.
Religion. World News. They admit they lean left. They are anti-American.
They proudly admit that as well.

I posted all those different information sources for a reason. Some folks like CCN. Some MSNBC. Some Fox. Some lifesite. Some BBC. etc etc So I found information about the BBC being biased - in all areas of it's reporting - from many different news sources. I was showing that, across the board, the massive bias has been reported.

People can't point at Fox and complain about bias .. but then watch CNN, MSNBC, BBC, etc etc and say that those are legitimate news sources. The fact is that they are baised which makes them, not news networks, but AGENDA networks. BBC especially so.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
FlyersFan I understand where your coming from now. Sorry about the mix up it looks like we will have agree to disagree concerning the BBC. As I said if I'm up at such an hour I choose not to watch if others choose to do so that is there right .

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
To begin with Fox "news" isn't "news" its editorializing posing as news. Sure they're topical but if they weren't they'd be a soap opera. Fox is a wing of the republican party -- they make that plain with every utterance from Hannity and OReilly. It isn't journalism when the first morning memo at the office tells the hosts what to spin and how to spin it. And, people use this term liberal to modify media? As Chomsky cites the only reason American media is called liberal is because if the corporate lobby influenced media were left of the current corporate catechism then it would be perceived as fanatical. That is if it weren't described as liberal from the positions it takes now, anything further to the left, and actually being legitmately described as liberal, would just be thought of as madness by an unenlightened public. Your'e conservative because you're either a demimonde and your social circle or workplace requires it of you or you're a blowhard who needs a bogeyman and as a kid you probably had superhero fixations and needed to kill everything in your immediate proximity. I don't expect you to admit it, that is anyone who responds to this, its just your psychological makeup that objectively isn't for you to deny. The term I like that describes conservative motivatiions best is "emotionally potent oversimplification". Let that marinate on your mind for awhile and get a sense of how apt a description it is.

We're all just hornets in a jar.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

1. Popularity does not make something good. Crack and Methamphetamine are good examples of that. So is the bubonic plague. And, heck, knowing you're a god-fearing Conservative - there are more Muslims than Christians, so by that logic, Jesus doesn't exist and you're going straight to hell. Yay for childish assumptions! So much fun!

2. If there is massive liberal bias in the news (which I'm not convinced about, and you failed to cite your sources), then why does Fox have to lie that it's fair and balanced? No-one would have a problem with Fox news if it was branded as Conservative. The fact it has to lie about it's bias is what's really disgusting. And, surely even you can agree that two wrongs don't make a right - just because the liberals are lying doesn't mean the conservatives can. Unless they have no dignity or spine, that is.

Not that reasoning will make any difference to you, as you clearly have handed in your logic card in return for some bumper stickers.

Semper Bardus would be a better name for you :-P

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

You condemn me for bias of the MSM and your entire post is biased in regards to Fox....!!!...
Hilarious..

Can we all say "Hypocrisy"

You claim bias on my part and cite lies about Fox, yet you cite no more sources than those you accuse me of not citing..

hmmmm Hypocrisy again looms it's ugly head.

Actually compared to the "0" sources in your diatribe, you will find 2 in my OP and an additional 5 in FlyersFan in support of the original OP.. Compared to your zero, that makes you down by 7...

It is so very typical though, the lib emotional attack on facts and evidence when they can present none to support their flawed ideology.

Semper

oh yeah:::

Just how popular did you consider the Plague to be anyway???

Semper

[edit on 5/26/2008 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Sorry but I keep finding your mistakes...

knowing you're a god-fearing Conservative - there are more Muslims than Christians, so by that logic, Jesus doesn't exist and you're going straight to hell. Yay for childish assumptions! So much fun!

It's called GOOGLE.. Give it a try sometime and you wont keep posting false information..

Major Religions of the World
Ranked by Number of Adherents

# Christianity: 2.1 billion
# Islam: 1.5 billion
# Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
# Hinduism: 900 million
# Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
# Buddhism: 376 million
# primal-indigenous: 300 million
# African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 m

Religions

Well I suppose that does it..

Semper

Note:

Semper Bardus would be a better name for you :-P

Be wary of the T and C my good fellow...

Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, hateful and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

Bardus Latin Translation:

Results for 'bardus'
Latin to English
bardus stupid, slow, dull.

Freedict.com

Insults are against the T and C..

Semper

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
1. At the risk of making a controversial statement, I would say that Crack is definitely the most popular drug in America today. Why? Because it is the best "high" for the best price. Not that I know of course, this comes from Levitt and Dubner's book about the massive switch from Heroin and Cocaine to Crack coc aine. It is another thing that drugs are harmful to humans, but there is no doubt that crack is a "better" drug than, for example, marijuana.

Frankly comparing plague infections to popularity is a total non-sequitur. How exactly does involuntary uptake equate to "popularity"? Popularity is derived from conscious choices taken to subscribe to one thing over another. Hence MacDonalds burgers are popular... HIV, Cancer and Heart disease are not.

2. Fox news has a mix of opinions. As I stated, Mort Kondracke is considerably more left wing than other presenters.

And of course Geraldo Rivera said that he would spit on Michelle Malkin if he ever saw her, since her views were apparently too conservative for Geraldo's liking.

Sources (lest you cite lack of sources as an issue):

1. www.usdoj.gov...

2. en.wikipedia.org...
www.boston.com...

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
OK I have a question for regular Fox News viewers and I thought that this would be a good thread to put it in . Semperfortis forgive me if I am going off topic .

Did Fox News report that Violence in Iraq is at its lowest in four years ?

Cheers xpert11 .

[edit on 27-5-2008 by xpert11]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Essentially, all of the major media outlets should be labeled Faux news. None of them properly report the news. They all exist for ratings and selling ad's. Conservatives watch Fox, so they cater to them. Since conservatives are the largest supporters of this unpopular administration, Fox is forced to run programming that gives their viewers what they want. That just happens to be in contrast to what the people who disagree with the administration want to see.

new topics

top topics

join