It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First computer attack to inflict physical harm on the victims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I found this story on wired.com:

Hackers Assault Epilepsy Patients via Computer

Internet griefers descended on an epilepsy support message board last weekend and used JavaScript code and flashing computer animation to trigger migraine headaches and seizures in some users...The incident, possibly the first computer attack to inflict physical harm on the victims, began Saturday, March 22, when attackers used a script to post hundreds of messages embedded with flashing animated gifs. The attackers turned to a more effective tactic on Sunday, injecting JavaScript into some posts that redirected users' browsers to a page with a more complex image designed to trigger seizures in both photosensitive and pattern-sensitive epileptics.

If hackers could do this, what can the government do? We've heard of subliminal messages, but this is a direct assault. Reminds me of some of the work the soviets were up in the 70's with sounds they could broadcast that would produce all types of physical effects on people.
(I wasn't sure where to post this, I hope this is the proper forum)

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Now that's disturbing if you have epilepsy. I wonder if someone will eventually make software that determines if on-screen visuals will cause siezures and blocks them? That'd be cool.

I don't think people have much to fear from this though unless they're epileptic. I can't see how this could be used to harm.. umm 'normal' people. That sounds rude... I can't think of another way of putting it though.

What actually concerns me more is this stupid 4chan/7chan anonymous stuff. It started off as a joke and seems to be developing into some sort of e-terrorism group. What's more confusing is anonymous, which is meant to the opposite of an identifier has become an identity in itself.

The few who are doing wrong seem to be 'ruining it' for the rest of us I guess. I'd like to see authorities globally take more action against people doing this sort of thing.

That's my 2c.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
These people aren't hackers, filth like that have no right to be labeled as hackers. They are just stupid idiots who get off on messing with peoples lives.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
According to this site:

Could The Virtual World Cause You Physical Harm?

The people who did this could face some significant jail time if caught:

In the US, a little known provision in the Homeland Security bill was passed in 2002 , it provides for a maximum sentence of life imprisonment without parole for computer hackers who deliberately transmit a program, information, code, or command that impairs the performance of a computer or modifies its data without authorization, "if the offender knowingly or recklessly causes or attempts to cause death". It also provides for a 20-year sentence if the attacker only causes or attempts to cause bodily injury through hacking.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by maybeonce

You mentioned the Russians. If you're familiar with some of their techniques, would you happen to know more about this?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Most people think hackers are low life people which isnt what most of them are. Many hackers "hack" to test web scripts for website owners to provide extra security. I hate it when people( like these ones) abuse their knowledge. I hope nobody was harmed. I dont think they were Russian either. Its something anybody "hacker" could do. Im not sure how protected the site is though.

top topics

join