It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sex Offender Forced to Put Warning Signs on House & Car

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth4hire

I really don't care about tagging criminals.

Paedophiles are the scum of the earth who have a very high record of re-offending.
If branding them all saves one innocent child from suffering at their evil hands then so be it, it would have been worthwhile.

Let's spare some sympathy for the victims of their crimes rather than the evil scumbags who carry out these horrendous acts.

By the way, I do undestand your point but I didn't realise it was a crime to be gay, jewish etc and I would obviously be against any attempt to tag people for their beliefs, sexuality etc.
Your comparison just doesn't equate.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I find nothing humorous regarding sexual predators. Nothing. You brits are an odd lot sometimes.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Master_Wii
Kansas: Hudson man Leroy Schad has been forced by a court to display his sex offender status on both car doors that says "sex offender in this car" and signs on each side of the house where he lives that says "A sex offender lives here."

Legal analysts say that judges have the right to do what they want as long as the sentence does not infringe on the suspect's rights.

"We already have a sex offender registry and all these kinds of conditions do is create danger to the offender and everyone around the offender," said defense attorney Dan Monnat, who is not representing Schad.

www.firstcoastnews.com...

In my opinion, let everyone around him know he cant be trusted, but don't lock him away where taxpayers have to foot the bill. We should adopt this with other crimes as well, Scarlet Letter style!

But this ban is flawed. He can still live in rented house and drive rented car. It's so easy to make this useless. JUst throw that man into jail and lock for 100 years.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Who isn't taking it seriously?

If we were to take certain ATS members opinions and attitudes as typical of all American's in general then the US would have an even worse standing in the world than it already has.
A really sweeping generalisation; I would expect better here on ATS.

That we Brits see humour in almost everything is probably true, it doesn't mean to say that we don't take the subject matter very seriously though.

For the record, paedophilia is taken very seriously here in the UK.
Paedophile's are the lowest of the low and are treat accordingly.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Morris wasn't making light of sexual predators, their wicked crimes or whatever.

What he was cruelly parodying was the media/public reaction to the whole subject ... newspapers which whip up their readership into a paedo-frenzy with the latest appalling court case, whilst at the same time the same newspapers publish photographs of Britney in her schoolgirl outfit ... mothers who drive their precious daughters to school in SUV's, affording them better protection against the statistically improbable paedo than the vehicles our guys use in Iraq, whilst these self same mothers let their daughters go out in the evening dressed little better than your average street whore.

It's those contradictions he's making mischief with and it's funny. Maybe it is a Brit thing, I dunno.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
I find nothing humorous regarding sexual predators. Nothing. You brits are an odd lot sometimes.

Of course, Americans wouldnt make fun of paedophilia. Its not like South Park did a whole episode on NAMBLA and had their kids teacher arrested for being a paedo, is it?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I don't live in the South, nor do I feel people in the south are all like that.

I'd bet, if any of you had the guts, that at some point you've seen a hot gal, oogled her, and thought of some things you'd like to do to her, only to find out she was under 18, or under the 3 year age gap.

In this day and age, little girls that are 13-15 like to dress like Brittney Spears, Christina and whoever else they want to idolize, and the fact that some of these little girls are bigger and more mature then what you think they are. I know a story of a guy who turned 21, went to a bar, picked up a girl who was there drinking, took her home, and got a stat rape charge because she was 17.....forget she was in a bar and it was drunk sex, but because he didn't check her id, he got #ed.

As I said, guys who are power rapists and forcibly rape someone, or child molesters who rape little kids should be duly punished to the full extent. Guys who have a stat rape charge should never be labeled in the same breathe as a chomo or rapo. They just aren't the same.

You can only get a stat rape charge if the sex was consensual, but she was either under 18 (if you're over 5 years her senior) or under 15 (if you are 3 years her senior). So, if ya'll at some point were a senior in highschool, and dated a sophmore or freshman, bet ya she was 3 years younger then you at least.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't label all SO's as needing severe punishment, because a majority of the population would be in jail, dead, or prison.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Giving sex offenders high exposure sounds like a great idea to me. There's really nothing you can do for them therapeutically, and their chances of re-offending are great. Official recividism rates only account for those who get caught and are brought to trial. The real chances of their re-offending is about 80% from my experiences with them.

I used to be a therapist, and these people are basically untreatable. They have little remorse for their crimes, and tend to view themselves as the victim when they're apprehended.

It's always someone else's fault.. They're a product of their environment, they're parents abused them, they were abused themselves, the victim was sexually suggestive and wanted it, ad nauseum. The excuses go on and on. Honestly, it sickened me to listen to their speils.

Bureau of Justice Statistics

Recidivism of Sex Offenders Released from Prison in 1994
Presents, for the first time, data on the rearrest, reconviction, and reimprisonment of 9,691 male sex offenders, including 4,295 child molesters, who were tracked for 3 years after their release from prisons in 15 States in 1994. The 9,691 are two-thirds of all the male sex offenders released from prisons in the United States in 1994. The study represents the largest followup ever conducted of convicted sex offenders following discharge from prison and provides the most comprehensive assessment of their behavior after release.

Highlights include the following:

• Within 3 years following their release, 5.3% of sex offenders (men who had committed rape or sexual assault) were rearrested for another sex crime.

• On average the 9,691 sex offenders served 3 1/2 years of their 8-year sentence.

• Compared to non-sex offenders released from State prisons, released sex offenders were 4 times more likely to be rearrested for a sex crime.

The 9,691 released sex offenders included 4,295 men who were in prison for child molesting

[edit on 3/29/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It's not about having remorse in your heart. It's about having remorse for those who are despicable. These people served their time in jail for the crimes they committed, and thus have paid their debt to society. They should not be continued to be penalized and punished after paying their debt the same way any other criminal does and goes away with little more then missing years and a police record.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
You guys are insane.
One of you guys is talking about putting paedophiles in a concentration camp?
Who the hell do you think you are to do that?
That's just crazy.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Truth4hire

As Dale said, they haven't abused/molested a nine year old kid.

There is some validity, in my mind, to the notion of "shunning" as a punishment. In jail, you still get fed, clothed, etc..., death penalties are expensive and controversial. Being made to wear a sign of their crime is a sort of justice I can maybe get behind. Those "shunned" should be allowed to work, buy their food, but nothing else. Society would be encouraged to "shun" these monsters.

The down side to this is the slippery slope of who else gets this treatment? Other criminals? OK, that I can deal with. Social fringers? Not so much. As long as a "shunning" is handled carefully, I see it working at least as well as locking them up. At least they are contributing to the tax base while working.

Let's see: Give 'em a choice, Life w/o parole or 25 years of shunning for a child molester. It is at the least an interesting concept in punishment. I still favor killing 'em, but maybe this is something resembling an appropriate punishment, too. If handled correctly.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

You're talking about offenders that are almost certainly going to re-offend, not a purse snatcher or a car thief. When they offend, they destroy peoples lives. You can't replace a child's innocence or their sense of security that was stolen from them. Their parents must endure the guilt of thinking they somehow are responsible and could have prevented it.

Even in prisons sex offenders are hated and despised even by hard core criminals, and are typically placed in protective custody for their own safety. Even these bad elements of society know they're vicious predators, and will continue to commit these horrendous acts if allowed to go free.

How anyone can feel sorry for them is beyond me. Would you want one living next door to you and your family or even in your community? I wouldn't. It's not a matter of "if" they'll do it again, it's a matter of "When".

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NwestJagsfan

Blaming the victim does not justify their act. I see females that are suggestively dressed all the time. Does that give me the right to violate them? "No".

How someone chooses to act or dress is their business, and as a civilized human being you must understand "No" means "No". If you're unsure of a girl's age, then they're probably to young for you anyway.

Keep in mind this little saying whenever you feel tempted to take a chance.. 15 will get you 20. Is your reputation and freedom worth the risk? Just go find someone your own age.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
waste of time. don't let pedophiles out of prison. there's nothing that prison does for a pedophile that's going to make them change.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
reply to post by WolfofWar

You're talking about offenders that are almost certainly going to re-offend, not a purse snatcher or a car thief. When they offend, they destroy peoples lives. You can't replace a child's innocence or their sense of security that was stolen from them. Their parents must endure the guilt of thinking they somehow are responsible and could have prevented it.

How anyone can feel sorry for them is beyond me. Would you want one living next door to you and your family or even in your community? I wouldn't. It's not a matter of "if" they'll do it again, it's a matter of "When".

You have an statistics on the majority of them being repeat offenders, any more so then most criminals? Because I believe your pulling that statistic from within the furthest reaches of your rectum.

Despite however you feel about sex offenders, the fact remains is that their crime is no different then any other crime. There is a unrecommended penalty for said crime, in how many years maximum they would serve, and when being found guilty, they serve that time until the courts deem he has served his punishment. Upon removal from the court system, he is considered, by the government and federal,state, and local judiciary systems, as a free man once more, having served his time and re payed his debt for the crime he committed. There is no reason why he should be different then any other criminal, and be branded by a scarlet letter after his crime has been rectified.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Folks, I've been posting long enough around here for all of you to know that I hate anyone who commits criminal acts at the expense of a victim. BUT I am also one of the most outspoken and ardent defenders of the United States Constitution so let me just point to a quote from the 8th amendment:

From the United States Constitution, 8th Amendment:

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Now before you flame me, let me say that if someone took a crow bar to this guy in a dark alley, I would not feel sorry for him. However just think about this: First they say this guy needs stickers on his house and car, BUT THEN - (hypothetically) it's gun owners, and then anti-war protesters, and eventually even people who post on ATS, all defended with the same "intent" that Germany in the late 1930's-early 40's had by "protecting the safety" of Germans by identifying Jews with a sewn yellow star of David on clothing, and failure to do this would result in imprisonment.

The constitution is all about setting limits early on, before individual rights are completely eroded to the point of no return.

It's my argument that this violates the 8th amendment, and is therefore unconstitutional. And remember, before you flame me, I'm on your side, not his.

[edit on 29-3-2008 by ATS4dummies]

[edit on 29-3-2008 by ATS4dummies]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar

You have an statistics on the majority of them being repeat offenders, any more so then most criminals? Because I believe your pulling that statistic from within the furthest reaches of your rectum.
Obviously you didn't read all my posts..

Compared to non-sex offenders released from State prisons, released sex offenders were 4 times more likely to be rearrested for a sex crime.
They're four times as like to re-offend according to Bureau of Justice who I might add are conservative in their estimates.

Despite however you feel about sex offenders, the fact remains is that their crime is no different then any other crime.
So you see molesting a five year old as being the equivalent of stealing a car? You really have a distorted sense of values if you truly believe that. It's like comparing apple and oranges..

There is a unrecommended penalty for said crime, in how many years maximum they would serve, and when being found guilty, they serve that time until the courts deem he has served his punishment.
Unfortunately they hardly ever serve out their sentences as the Bureau of Justice statistics bears out.

On average the 9,691 sex offenders served 3 1/2 years of their 8-year sentence.

Upon removal from the court system, he is considered, by the government and federal,state, and local judiciary systems, as a free man once more, having served his time and re payed his debt for the crime he committed. There is no reason why he should be different then any other criminal, and be branded by a scarlet letter after his crime has been rectified.
Upon release they are typically placed on a state sex offenders registry and remain on it a number of years based upon the severity of their offenses and their risk of re-offending.

They also have restrictions placed on them regarding how close they can live to schools, parks or other places children might frequent. So, they're not like other people who have gone to jail and paid their debt to society..

[edit on 3/29/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Well, this is kind of weird.

On one hand, I agree with the constitutionalists, in that the punishment needs to be fitting and standardized, and also about how I wouldn't want to be labeled for any reason, let alone let them tag me.

That said, we have a big problem.

As I have mentioned in a thread before, and say again without fear or shame, I was a victim of similar abuse. Details are for weirdo's, but it was a life altering event.

I spent years in the military, learning all over again what defines "being a man" to me. Building, defending, standing up for those who can't, the list goes on and on.

I waited, twice, in a position to pay back those who had harmed me.
I walked away both times, as my heart told knew the pain that I would cause all of those who did not know of this past abuse. Their family and friends, and mine if I was caught.

Society has somehow decided that certain crimes can carry punishments that are way too lenient. A fight breaks out between two adults, one bad punch and the other guy hits the curb and dies. Why is that man sent to prison for twenty years, but a man who rapes and murders a woman gets five?
Because the citizen who got in a fight will provide all of the evidence, thinking it an accident.
The rapist knows what will happen if he admits to anything. There is a plea deal when some random procedural thing causes the trial to go to hell.

You cannot just castrate any man accused of molestation. But I would say that if the evidence is strong enough, (DNA, Photographic) then there is no punishment cruel enough.

Build a prison in alaska. no windows, food dropped in from the ceiling. Let 'em have at each other. No heat, no mattresses, just one bucket to share. Let them rot.

The pain they cause will never be undone. I could easily SNAP those men in half right now, ( Don't let the cat pic fool you...) But I believe now that my strength is proven by walking up-right, carrying my burden like a man should. That I can move on. But you are right if you think that I would easily, if our punishments are not changed, torture to death the man who ever violated my child or wife.

ALL CRIMES ARE NOT EQUAL.

You are a real idiot for saying that, just so you know. Stealing from someone, tax evasion, drug charges, these are the crimes that deserve rehab. Violent sexual predators? I think not. They will never pay their debt to society. If there is a way to post everywhere, and I mean everywhere, that there is a S.O. near me, I want to know.

P.S. Statutory rape within two years of age, or three with parents permission is B.S. We all know the difference.

[edit on 29-3-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This really reminds me of this Mr. Show skit. Warning, some bad language.

video.google.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth4hire
Warning: ATS Member in this car
Warning: ATS Member lives here

But seriously...

What´s the difference between this and marking gays, gypsies and jews with stars?

The difference is pedaphiles steal childrens lives and innocence away.

They should be castrated and then have acid slowly poured on the wound. Nothing is too good for them.

Infact send them to my house and I will deal with them. They will never abuse another little innocent child again.
Actually...why dont we save our children from this scourge altogether and just put them to death?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join