It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Many of reported UFO sightings are actually satellites.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I'm an Amateur astronomer with a dobsonian telescope with a 10 inch mirror, and often times whil trying to align a celestial object I will see a ball of light zipping by through my scope.

I've seen videos on the internet of the same thing, that claim these points of light are UFO's, when in reality they are satellites.

on wednesday at 8:25pm the ISS(International Space Station) was visible, and it was 1.5x as bright as sirius( the brightest star).
Here is a video on youtube of the ISS, hopefully everyone can see why some may think it is a UFO, especially if it was dimmer like most satellites.
www.youtube.com...

Finally, Here is a website everyone can use if you spot one of these lights in the sky, it will confirm that what you saw was a sat. and also give you the exact name of the satellite, provided you know your coordinates.

www.heavens-above.com...

Thank you for reading,
SageOfWisdom

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
"Many of reported UFO sightings are actually satellites"

Tell us something we DON'T already know.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Thanks for the information my friend, you get a star and a flag for helping to spread knowledge and understanding to the world.

I agree that the vast majority of supposed UFO's can be explained. They may be secret planes or satellites or the one I once thought i saw that turned out to be a flock of birds.

It's those few that can't be explained that keep the subject fascinating.

Good post

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufo reality
"Many of reported UFO sightings are actually satellites"

Tell us something we DON'T already know.

I'm pleased to see that you already know this.

However most of the world doesnt because they are still reporting satellites as UFOs, even on UFO hunters they show videos of satellites and call them UFO's.

Just trying to give a little info to the less informed.
My question for you is, did you read the post or just the title, and did you already know about heavens-above, because it is a useful tool for UFO buffs as well as stargazers.

Mrwupy, Thanks for the compliments.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SageOfWisdom

Yes, definitely: MANY are...

(The suspension points imply all the additional lines, mods.
)

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS Sage.

Another great site is:

Nasa Human Space Flight

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
There is also an astronomy program I use called Starry Night, that is kind of a 3D star map, and you enter in your location and time, and satellites are included.

new topics

top topics

join