It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida School Security Officer Tasers 11-Year-Old Girl

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

she tried to push a classmate INTO A BUSY STREET!!!

Im pretty critical on here about cops who abuse their power.. But in this case.. Im sticking up for the cop here..
This little brat was so out of control that she tried to murder another person. I think hitting her with that taser was a good idea.

She was down, and was able to be controled. Even an 11 year old girl can do harm to a grown man. I mean really, she was a big girl too! 145lbs+ What else do people want.
This is a catch 22 here, Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Im fine with this girl getting the taser after reading the story and fully understanding what happened..
Yep Im fine with that and think the officer did what he needed to do. While hes is just lucky he didnt hurt the girl. Being that size, at that age, could have made some problems. Lets just be glad no one was seriously hurt.

Sorry, but thats how I feel about this one. And most the time I am not on the cops side. I think most of them are bullies, and not out to protect you and me.. But agin, I side with the cops on this one here..

[edit on 29-3-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Finn1916

Okay I agree there is no reason that the child should get off scott free but if you do the research you will find that the system in place to deal with juvenile crimes generally does more harm than it does good so no I do not agree with charging and arresting her. If the crime was serious enough for felony charges than it was definitely serious enough for a suspension or expulsion. I believe that discipline should remain within the school system because our system for dealing with "child felons" does as I stated above more harm than good.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Originally posted by Damocles
oh come on now...at 11 years old did you NOT know that it was just WRONG to try to kill your schoolmates?

I wasn't talking about her actions.. she is a child. Being electricuted could kill her.

sure if she stuck a nail in an outlet...but hell even i survived that at 5yo

IF she had a preexisting heart condition maybe...or was on anything that had her heart going a million beats a minute (wouldnt be the first 11yo on coke or crack in any school system) maybe...

i mean, right and wrong is still being taught by parents in this country yeah?

I'm not in your coountry. Other countries do indeed exist [shocking I know
].

sorry i bought a cheap globe, i was broke. only shows the US /sarcasm

edit quote tags

[edit on 29-3-2008 by Damocles]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Then I stand by my previous post if they have the ability to qualify with a handgun they can qualify in the art of safely subduing a person without the need to use a tazer.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tguntony

Makes absolutely if the "Law Enforcement Officer" cannot subdue a child without resorting to a tazer the "Law Enforcement Officer"should not put ina position where he or she might have to.

Oh yeah and if they cannot qualify with a firearm why in the world would we expect them to be able to properly handle a tazer or any kind of weapon.

[edit on 29-3-2008 by Tguntony]

well some of the tasers have a laser sight on them....laser on a handguns not all that great past 20m or so but the range on a taser is only 7.6m so it works great for that.

Then I stand by my previous post if they have the ability to qualify with a handgun they can qualify in the art of safely subduing a person without the need to use a tazer.

shooting is a lot easier than fighting hand to hand so its not really a fair comparison. i was on my units pistol team (competative) and i trust my pistol more than my hands even if the pistol is a last resort (but im not a cop so thats really a moot point)

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Okay I agree there is no reason that the child should get off scott free but if you do the research you will find that the system in place to deal with juvenile crimes generally does more harm than it does good so no I do not agree with charging and arresting her. If the crime was serious enough for felony charges than it was definitely serious enough for a suspension or expulsion. I believe that discipline should remain within the school system because our system for dealing with "child felons" does as I stated above more harm than good.

then i think the system needs to be fixed, merely expelling some kids isnt good enough if their parents then tell them they did nothing wrong and that the world is against them

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

sure if she stuck a nail in an outlet...but hell even i survived that at 5yo

edit quote tags

In the article it states that she is 11 years old and 150lbs, in my book that qualifies as morbidly obese (depending on height) so that alone would be putting major stress on the child's heart so yes being electrocuted could potentially cause serious injury or even death. Shes very lucky she wasnt injured by the tazer.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tguntony

It's a matter of training. Most companies that hire LEOs are going to spend the minimum on training, that includes unarmed combat training. And most LEOs, like police officers, aren't going to want to spend a lot of their off time in the dojo after a stressful day on the job. They want to relax and get time in with their families.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Yes but that is going to be the fault of the parent and no amount of criminal charges are going to prevent the parent from saying. " oh you poor thing their all against you"
Perhaps the parents should be made to take parenting classes?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   

In the article it states that she is 11 years old and 150lbs, in my book that qualifies as morbidly obese (depending on height) so that alone would be putting major stress on the child's heart so yes being electrocuted could potentially cause serious injury or even death. Shes very lucky she wasnt injured by the tazer.

omg, i actually feel kind of dumb for missing that point!

it doesnt change my apraisal of the situation and i still think the officer was justified...BUT, you are the first to point this out and you are correct

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

It's a matter of training. Most companies that hire LEOs are going to spend the minimum on training, that includes unarmed combat training. And most LEOs, like police officers, aren't going to want to spend a lot of their off time in the dojo after a stressful day on the job. They want to relax and get time in with their families.

Actually, and thi may just be me, but going to the gym, back when I did, and sparring/training, was a great way to relax and relieve stress. I get what you are saying tho, they don't pay them enough, and between car payments, mortgages, kids, groeries and electri, it's kinda hard to pay dues to go to a dojo. I don't see it as an unwillingness, as I and many others like me find it to be a vey relaxing and theraputic thing, it's the lack of funds.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Yes but that is going to be the fault of the parent and no amount of criminal charges are going to prevent the parent from saying. " oh you poor thing their all against you"
Perhaps the parents should be made to take parenting classes?

DING DING DING DING we have a winner. That is twice now you and I have agreed on something, forced parenting lasses so people learn to raise their kids to not be little hoodlums. I'm still withholding judgement on the taser as far as for or against untill the rest of the story omes out. as we all know, there will be more that we don't know as of yet, kinda like a cliffhanger in a dikens book, forcing us to hold on and wait to see all the facts.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Do you think a surgeon wants to spend his off time staying qualified to do the surgeries that we need? But do we expect him to do so yes!
Do you think Airline Pilots want to have to do check rides and study in order to remain licensed airline pilots?? Do we expect them to YES!!

Why should a Pollice Officer or "Law Enforcement Officer" be the exception? If you want to do a job you sure as hell better be qualified to do it.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
And an LEO position doesn't require the specialized training, except for some BASIC unarmed combat, firearms training, and other basic skills. They can stay qualified for those without having to go to a gym every day, or a dojo every other day. An LEO is basically a stop gap until police get to the scene, they're not expected to do all the things that police might have to do.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Just throwing this out there but if they cannot afford to have a gym membership to hone their skills perhaps this should be a job benefit or they should be paid more and expected to do the extra curricular training that their job requires.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

And an LEO position doesn't require the specialized training, except for some BASIC unarmed combat, firearms training, and other basic skills. They can stay qualified for those without having to go to a gym every day, or a dojo every other day. An LEO is basically a stop gap until police get to the scene, they're not expected to do all the things that police might have to do.

Then might I suggest they should be required to stay qualified in safe subduing suspects? Also if they cannot do anything a police officer does what good are they? How much of a stop gap will they be if, god forbid something serious does happen?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Just throwing this out there but if they cannot afford to have a gym membership to hone their skills perhaps this should be a job benefit or they should be paid more and expected to do the extra curricular training that their job requires.

That would be an awesome idea, but try and put that forward, it would be seen as an unneccessary "Wate of funds"

Honestly, even tho they are not required by law to have the same training as full time police officers, they really should, as they are essetially doing the same job untill the cops arrive.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Zaph, and well everyone else...but didnt defcon a few post back point out that this woman was essentially part of the sheriffs dept and had street duties as well as in school? or was i reading that incorrectly?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Damocles

Yes According to the article the woman was a Police Officer with more than twenty years of experience.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Zaph, and well everyone else...but didnt defcon a few post back point out that this woman was essentially part of the sheriffs dept and had street duties as well as in school? or was i reading that incorrectly?

You re right, I forgot about that. in that case, she should have all the training a regular cop has, but again, this is Floriduuuh, it's not a state known for it's intelligence in anyhting let alone police work, however I do know a few very very good cops here.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join