It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Areas of Baghdad fall to militias as Iraqi Army falters in Basra

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Areas of Baghdad fall to militias as Iraqi Army falters in Basra

www.timesonline.co.uk

Iraq’s Prime Minister was staring into the abyss today after his operation to crush militia strongholds in Basra stalled, members of his own security forces defected and district after district of his own capital fell to Shia militia gunmen.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Going fast to deep chaos...

I believe that in days US Forces are in heavy fighting to keep their stance in Iraq. But what about Kurds in north, if South is battlezone, Baghdad is under streetfighting, and north, what about those "US friends", who had just taste bullets from Turkey, and seen that US friends didnt nothing to prevent those attacks? Are they still quiet if US falls to tight situation this time?

There is great possibility that there is great battles ahead now. Question is, are US Forces ready to reply with all means, and their full power? There will be blood on both sides...

Undermining Al-Sadr was happened after Cheneys visit, his last great fault in Iraq war... I have preach from that issue so many times. When US was focusing their "success in surge", great deals were done with strongest opponent, Mr Al-Sadr.

He cause the drop in attacks, not forces. And now its going other way around... 6 Months is a long period to regroup, make plans and do the reacon. Mahdi Army knowswhat they are opposing, and I think they have also great advance: They attack on own soil, US defence in foreign soil.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This goes well with questions... New article:

The Mystery of American Foreign Policy
~ Justin Raimondo

The recent increase in fighting around Basra, which is rapidly spreading to Baghdad, has the punditariat in a lather. Their sacred Surge has turned into a mere splurge – of resources, lives, and misplaced hope. Well, I could have told you that, and, indeed, I did. But never mind the chattering classes, their delusions of American omnipotence, and my own unfortunate penchant for self-congratulation. What's really fascinating about this story is how it underscores the central mystery of our Iraq war policy: why in the name of all that's holy are we supporting the pro-Iranian parties and factions in the Iraqi government, whilst Our Glorious Leader is coupling Tehran and al-Qaeda as "twin" evils to be fought and defeated in Iraq?

www.antiwar.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This is something of an acid test for the Iraqi security and military forces . What remains to be is if they can overcome the unreliable and treasons elements . IMO the treasons elements would be a minority but that is all it takes to do the damage. If things don't improve and local forces cant cope in the south of the country then there isnt much hope.

It is hard not to be reminded of what happened in Vietnam . Elements of the South Vietnamese army couldn't guard a mine field little alone fight the enemy. Victory has traded in Afghanistan for this mess.

[edit on 28-3-2008 by xpert11]

new topics

top topics

join