It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JTRS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Some of you may know that Lockheed Martin was awarded almost a 1B program for military called JTRS. Joint Tactical Radio System.

>>The new contract is for the "airborne, maritime and fixed site" piece of the JTRS program -- much of which falls under the umbrella of the Air Force and Navy. It will upgrade radios on C-130 and C-5 transport aircraft, C-17 airlifters, Global Hawk and Predator unmanned aerial vehicles, Apache helicopters and Osprey tiltrotor vertical/short takeoff and landing aircraft.

"This is the digital backbone for all future military communications," Thompson said. "Eventually, it will enable any warfighter anywhere in the world to talk to any other warfighter in a split second."

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
do you have a question about jtrs, or was it just a heads-up?

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Mostly a heads up...I would like to know where they are building them. As I understand the initial effort I think is more engineering and testing. There are some interesting aspects to this. One of the subcontractors of Lockheed is General Dynamics in Fort Wayne. I know a lot of those guys worked a lot of years for what is now Raytheon in Fort Wayne. Most were laid off '99-'02. Another intersting slant is that ITT also in Fort Wayne was not involved in the bid at all. ITT has done the SINCGARS and variations for 20 years.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

the thing that interests me is that just yesterday i saw a documentary about the US freight plane service out of dover delaware and every single member of the crew was wearing a bose headset! I am aware these are just the user interface for the radio, but i just find it extraordianry that a hifi manufacturer would be making radio headsets for the military!

top topics

join