It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spy drones in demand by U.S. police departments, but approval pending

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Spy drones in demand by U.S. police departments, but approval pending

www.iht.com

A small pilotless vehicle manufactured by Honeywell International, capable of hovering and "staring" using electro-optic or infrared sensors, is expected to be introduced soon in the skies over the Florida Everglades.

The CIA acknowledges that it developed a dragonfly-sized UAV known as the "Insectohopter" for laser-guided spy operations as long ago as the 1970s. And other advanced work on robotic flyers has clearly been under way for quite some time.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
This will soon be common place in every city. Personally i don't like it and i don't think they are to protect us. These drones are to watch the sheeple and to make sure we are acting in an orderly fashion.

This article was posted on drudge so at least its kind of mainstream.

www.iht.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-3-2008 by Beefcake]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I was curious about what would power a machine like this. So I did a search, this is what I found.

The CIA drone really does look like a real dragonfly – see the photo to the left. The problem was apparently with the flight control system, as the craft could not cope with crosswinds. This type of problem can be solved much more easily with modern electronics. The big issue with a craft so small is the power supply. Until we can get something as compact and efficient as the biological version (and there already ecobots that power themslves by digesting insects), the answer for robotic insects is likely to be beamed power.
sorce

new topics

join