It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legends and Folklore- Giants, Landscapes, Creatures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Has anyone ever heard of a interesting and mysterious legend/myth or folklore about some kind of landscape or creatures? I have never personally heard of one, so I really want to know if anyone else know if any.

Ever since I played Shadow of the Colossus (one of my favourite games) I started thinking legends were really interesting. Do you think that it's possible for places like the landscape in Shadow of the Colossus to exist? Have the humans even visited 100% of the earths grounds?

If anyone wonders what Shadow of the Colossus is then it's a game based on a character called Wanderer who's lost his someone close to him. There are legends about a remote area where creatures as big as mountains wander freely. From these colossi the key to a mysterious force that can bring back the dead to life can be obtained. So he sets off to find this place in the hopes of getting his lost love back. He has no idea what's ahead of him.

Here's a description about the setting

The game clearly takes place in a fantasy setting, with most of the game's events occurring within a vast and unpopulated peninsula separated from the outside world by a mountain range to its North and sea to the South and East. The presence of ruins and other ancient structures indicate that the area was once a settlement.

The region is only accessible via a small cleft in the mountains to the north, leading to a massive stone bridge. This bridge spans half the distance of the landscape and terminates at a large temple called the "Shrine of Worship" located at its center. It is, however, forbidden to enter the land, which is characterized by diverse geographical features, such as lakes and deserts, in addition to human-made structures.

It's essentially a love story. It's very sad. Not only because the quote "love can move mountains" but also because of the feeling of emptyness and mystery to the landscape. It's somehow so sad:[

If anyone is interested in legends/myths or folklore, or an interesting love story you should play this game. You will love it.

Anyways, if you think there is anything like it in real life legends or folklore, please write it here(:

[edit on 28-3-2008 by ZikhaN]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Hi,

Not really into this sort of thing, but if you want an interesting legend about giants and love then look no further than the giants causway legend.

just google it

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Jesus christ no... I'm serious about this(:

I just introduced shadow of the colossus since it's a game based on myths and legends.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
A, SotC is one of the games I would love to try out. It's definately one I would love, but I'm a Nintendo guy, so...

Anyway, here in Scandinavia we have quite a few folklores on different hills and mountains, that are supposed to be giants. Not myths/folklores that everyone knows, but just some of those "There are supposed to be several giants sleeping around the land, and you can see them as being large hills lying alone in the countryside" kind of tales.

I would guess it is a leftover from the old scandinavian mythology..

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZikhaN
Do you think that it's possible for places like the landscape in Shadow of the Colossus to exist?

Landscape that has odd features such as lakes and deserts? Sure!

What's so strange about that I dont know though

Just as a note, Shadow Of The Colossus is not "based on myths and legends". Its a fantasy game.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by merka

Originally posted by ZikhaN
Do you think that it's possible for places like the landscape in Shadow of the Colossus to exist?

Landscape that has odd features such as lakes and deserts? Sure!

What's so strange about that I dont know though

Just as a note, Shadow Of The Colossus is not "based on myths and legends". Its a fantasy game.

so you saying giants in a fantasy land isn't legend and myth inspired?

And I got no comment for the rest....

[edit on 29-3-2008 by ZikhaN]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Not in the way the game portrays it.

You might as well say that World Of Warcraft is based on myths and legends. We all know its not. There's been many, many games containing giants, ogres, dragons, dwarves, goblins, whatever but at best we are talking about being based on a book (in which case the book is a fantasy inspired from myths and legends).

[edit on 29-3-2008 by merka]

new topics

top topics

join