It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawsuit: Huge Atom Smasher Could Destroy World

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

One question.................

How exactly will a lawsuit in the USA stop work on a project in France/Switzerland?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
What this guy is saying isn't exactly new. Here's a fun little bit on Exit Mundi for anyone interested;
www.exitmundi.nl...

Aww you beat me to it, this immediatly reminded me of that lol.
Though you have to admit, ExitMundi has some wicked scenario's, including those religion ones (They kick ass).

As far as the lawsuit goes this seems to be rather for greed than for the actual "need" to save us all.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
This article on msnbc.com claims that while there is a miniscule potential for black holes to become stable and grow as a result of these experiments, the rate of consumption would be so slow that we would all be gone long before we were threatened by them.

"...let's assume that even if Hawking is a genius, he's wrong, and that such black holes are more stable," Landsberg said. Nearly all of the black holes will be traveling fast enough from the accelerator to escape Earth's gravity. "Even if you produced 10 million black holes a year, only 10 would basically get trapped, orbiting around its center," Landsberg said.

However, such trapped black holes are so tiny, they could pass through a block of iron the distance from the Earth to the Moon and not hit anything. They would each take about 100 hours to gobble up one proton.

At that rate, even if one did not take into account the fact that each black hole would slow down every time it gobbled up a proton, and thus suck down matter at an even slower rate, "about 100 protons would be destroyed every year by such a black hole, so it would take much more than the age of universe to destroy even one milligram of Earth material," Landsberg concluded. "It's quite hard to destroy the Earth."

I'm no physicist, but if this is true then it sounds like we need not worry.

Original article: "Good news! Black hole won't destroy the Earth."

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Might have know some litigation happy yank would try this. Just because it's not in the good ol' US of A.

Hopefully they'll make a blackhole just for him.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Damocles

You do know about plasma jets that escape from black holes, right?

I think we should have a much better understanding of such a situation before attempting it.

The theory that the black holes will dissipate is based on Hawking Radiation, which is not a proved theory. It was thought up to explain the problem about information being lost. It is sort of like saying that my brain radiates energy occasionally, and that is why I forgot the date of our anniversary
well, not completely, but it was an excuse to a problem which has no ability to be proved, and I don't like the idea of playing with physics that is far beyond our current abilities and understanding.

How about going to another galaxy to play with black holes. I understand that they may even be making huge leaps of guess work to even think they could come close to making a black hole in the first place. The idea that we could collide particles to create a microscopic black hole may be a mad physicist's wet dream, since there are lots of high energy impacts that don't create min-black holes as far as we can verify at the moment.

I just say, when it comes to existing, lets err on the side of caution. Also, let us not say, it won't effect us for a while ... since that is why pollution ran rampant and future generations will be cleaning up the floating garbage in the Pacific ocean, trying to find better ways to clear the toxic waste out of water supplies, rebuilding natural habitats and ecosystems. Just because you won't be there to see the bad results, doesn't mean you should sweep the dust under the rug for the next millenia to clean up and dispose of.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well, we should have been destroyed a few years back now, since anti-matter was created and stored. I guess no one will be getting off of this Planet to use anti-matter as a fuel for a spaceship.

The black hole scare is just that. The math has been done, and the math wins out. If we as a species can store anti-matter, then the lawsuit is without warrant.

And we have stored anti-matter, but at the rate at which it can be made, it will take something like 200 million years to have enough fuel to fuel a spaceship to leave this Planet of fear-mongering.

I would be more interested in those type of people who want WWIII than any black hole made at CERN. At least there be a place to put those type of humans then.

Gees!

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

I have a feeling that these scientists know what they are about, just because we might not understand it does not mean that they are going to destroy the world. Although there is a chance of extreme disaster with every experiment, if we want to finally start to understand how to achieve faster than light travel and more efficient, 100% efficient energy sources this is a must.
I might not agree with the danger of what they are going to attempt, but I do understand why they are going to attempt it, we could finally get a start on seach for life in other galaxies, power the world and cars w/o the need for oil ect...

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

Sometimes science can get quite overzealous. I think right now would be the time to stop and really ponder what this sort of machine can and cannot do. Or at least run it at 1/2 power or something until we know for sure this thing won't destroy the damned planet(Or the whole freakin' solar system).

I read a while ago that the LHC can create small micro tears in the fabric of spacetime..If this is the case, then we need to study precisely what this will do should such a thing occur. Time for a world science conference on the LHC.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
personally i think this whole experiment is a cover up by the elite to make mistakes happen and indeed reduce world population by 80%.....

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Maybe this is what the Atlantians did to themselves. Everything is on such a small scale the event will only last nanoseconds so I wouldn't worry. Its like taking the smallest amount of high end weapons grade plutonium and splitting it. It will only be so big for so long, Like a grenade going off.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join