It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush: Rebate Checks Will Make Economy 'Stronger Than Ever Before'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Bush: Rebate Checks Will Make Economy 'Stronger Than Ever Before'

thinkprogress.org

Yesterday, President Bush visited a small business in Virginia and discussed his plans for reviving the economy. To make the economy “stronger than ever before,” Bush argued, we must wait for people to spend their rebate checks:

There’s a rough patch right now in our economy, but I’m confident in the long term we’ll come out stronger than ever before. One of the most decisive actions a government can take is to give people their money back so they can spend it, and that’s exactly what we’ve done. In the second week of May, a lot of folks are going to be getting a sizable check. And I’m looking forward to that day, and I know they are as well.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
What can I say about this? Let the Bush-bashing begin.

thinkprogress.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
No it won't make the economy stronger. Well .. it will give it a boost for about 4 months. That's it. The housing market has to go through its NECESSARY CORRECTION - which will be painful. After that, things should get better. Better IF the price of oil comes down.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Hooray! I only hope it's as simple to do as he thinks.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
People who made less than three thousand dollars will not see any kind of an "economic incentive". What the heck is with that? The poorest people are the ones who will go out and spend it. And they are the ones who need it the most. The govt. should have rolled three thousand dollars off the upper limit and made the lower limit extend down to those who made nothing. Calling it a tax rebate was a smooth ploy to keep from helping the poor.

Proof the govt. cares not a whit about the poor man.

[edit on 3-28-2008 by groingrinder]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
More "Alice in Wonderland" (see my thread below on this), Bubble-Boy nonsensical, pie-in-the-sky rubbish being squirted from the diseased stink-hole of Dictator Chimpy. Pretty much anything this pathological liar has to say anymore, I count on the polar opposite of reality being true. He and his criminalistic goon-squad and their corporate Elitist / M.I.C. controllers have pretty much obliterated the financial infrastructure of this country.

And they're not through by a long shot.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

I'm not certain, but I believe there are a couple of provisions made for the disabled and elderly. It's not everyone, but it's something.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
It is nothing other than a political ploy in an election year and a band aid. There will be a temporary blip in the economy, but nothing like Bush is hoping for. The fundamentals are just too bad.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Man, that's some anger. I don't blame you. I felt the same way until I began to think this was all some kind of cosmic practical joke. How can this man really be the President of the most powerful country in the world? What bizarro world are we living in when an administration attacks its own country to start a war that bankrupts it, and then acts like they've made brilliant decisions all along. Amazing, but I refuse to get sucked into the rage.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I am really beginning to wonder if the country will even make it to the end of his term. I just can't believe the things I am seeing in the news lately.

A 6-1200 dollar check is going to fix the economy??? Seriously? Who knew it was so simple?

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I still have some research to do on the matter, but I listened to the Presidential Address and I believe this bill was the final act of derailing our constitution. Bush also made a reference to Belize and Bermuda and having a surplus in 2012? Who will have a surplus? We will, have a surplus of debt in 2012. And what the hell do Belize and Bermuda have to do with anything?

I would put more stock in Monopoly money then the US dollar.

[edit on 28-3-2008 by 12.21.12]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
No it won't make the economy stronger. Well .. it will give it a boost for about 4 months. That's it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my check is going to pay off credit cards... not towards buying more crap. So if there are a lot of people in the same boat as me, it might not make a dent in the economy.

Speaking of credit cards and spending... why does it always seem that, according to the PTB, the only way the economy will get better is if we SPEND MORE? Since I believe many of our problems are because we spend more than we have (me included), doesn't it seem sometimes that we are being conditioned to spend, and spend, and spend some more? I feel imprisoned by CC debt and I feel I'm being deliberately manipulated to go further into debt.

When I hear the chimp say that my measly $600 (or whatever) check is going to turn the economy around "only if I spend it", I wonder what these "rebates" are really for... to help US? Or to help CORPORATIONS? Most junk we buy is made in China anyway.

Also, we already gave this money to the government. They are returning a portion of it in the form of a rebate check... why not cut taxes instead? Because they don't want you to SAVE this money.

[edit on 28-3-2008 by mecheng]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
People who made less than three thousand dollars will not see any kind of an "economic incentive". What the heck is with that? The poorest people are the ones who will go out and spend it. And they are the ones who need it the most. The govt. should have rolled three thousand dollars off the upper limit and made the lower limit extend down to those who made nothing. Calling it a tax rebate was a smooth ploy to keep from helping the poor.

Proof the govt. cares not a whit about the poor man.

[edit on 3-28-2008 by groingrinder]

if you made less than $3000 in a year you would need more than $600 to help you. Bums make more than $3000 in a year. Teenagers working crap jobs make more than three grand in a year. Basically if you made less than three grand in a year you are either already on welfare or dead cause you can't eat and have a place to live for that cheap. that's only 250 a week. no one can live off of that. so basically, if you only made three grand last year you have bigger problems than not getting a $600 rebate.

new topics

top topics

join