It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Sees Iraq Violence As Defining

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Bush Sees Iraq Violence As Defining

www.breitbart.com

President Bush said Friday that the flare up in violence in oil-rich southern Iraq and parts of Baghdad presents "a defining moment in the history of Iraq" as the government there seeks to rout out Shiite militias.

"It's going to take awhile, but it's a necessary part of the development of a free society," Bush said at a White House news conference with visiting Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd. At the same time, the president said the situation in Iraq remains "dangerous and fragile."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Iraqi PM Gives Basra Gunmen Ultimatum
Street Battles As Army Tackles Militants

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bush: U.S. deaths in Iraq 'laid foundations for peace'
Five Things You Need to Know to Understand the Latest Violence in Iraq
Mahdi Army arrested 17 American soldiers ( Not Confirmed Yet )
Bush Iraq Speech 'like Alice In Wonderland' : Hagel

[edit on 3/28/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I am blown away by the denial this administration has showed. Bush is either completely disconnected from reality, or he simply does not care (maybe both).

He says violence is a necessary part of developing a free society. I don't think he'd know that as the US has degenerated into a faux-democracy (or republic depending on how you define it) and he's partly to blame for this.

We do not have checks and balances anymore. The Legislature and Judicial branches bow to the executive branch. That sounds a lot like a dictatorship...

"Basra has been a place where criminality has thrived," Bush said. "They are fighting some pretty tough characters... and yes, there's going to be violence, and that's sad."

Washington is also a place where criminality has thrived. But what have you done about that? You've helped pass pork-barreled bills through Congress for your cronies.

I'm really sure you're sad...

Here's the kicker:

"Any government that presumes to represent the majority of people must confront criminal elements or people who think they can live outside the law. That's what's taking place in Basra and other parts of Iraq," Bush said. "I would say this is a defining moment in the history of Iraq."

"A government that presumes to represent the majority of people must confront criminal elements." Do you hear that?

I think he wants us to come after him and Cheney! Is he finally admitting fault or is it more spin from the "no spin zone?"

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Bush seems to believe that war defines character, something he would know nothing about. Remember how he skipped out on his air national guard duty during Vietnam? Of course not, that isn't played in the media it might tarnish his clean reputation

I will quote this man again because I think he is full of it:

Any government that presumes to represent the majority of people must confront criminal elements or people who think they can live outside the law

What government are you talking about, the Iraqis or the US?

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
LMAO

In Bush's warped world violence IS defining. He is a sick sadist, who's only means of discourse is to bludgeon others into submission. Unfortunately, as we can see after 5+ years, it's failing miserably.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

As "defining" as the Iraq violence may be, things are not getting any better Mr. Bush.

You can back up the troops all you want. That still won't help the cause of "freedom" (is that what we're doing 'over there'?).

President George W. Bush called the Iraqi offensive in Basra a “defining moment” on Friday as violence continued to spread across the country.

“This happens to be one of the provinces where the Iraqis are in the lead…and this is a good test for them,” Mr Bush said.

The Iraqis are in the lead of what? What test? This isn't some game my friend. This is real life. People are dying and all you've done is make a mockery out of "democracy" and "freedom"!!!

US officials have portrayed the four-day operation as evidence that the Iraqi government has the political will, and its security forces the capability, to tackle militias. The death toll in the four days of fighting since Mr Maliki launched operation Sawlat al- Fursan, or Charge of the Knights, was unclear, but appeared to have risen above 200.

Retired general Jack Keane, who advised the White House on the surge, said the offensive was a “very positive indication” that the Iraqi government was starting to address the deteriorating security situation in the south.

“That has to be applauded,” said Gen Keane. “All that said, I am not sure there has been proper planning and co-ordination, especially with the coalition, to have first rate execution.”

It seems General Keane has no problem being Bush's lapdog, but Petraeus is done. Good dog, bad dog...

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Just another 100 bill. We're almost there. So close. Everyone will be free and have democracy. Sooooo close. Yes. So we airstrike a few innocents to down the hadjis. Its all good. Ya, all good. Feel good ya, feel good, steer the ship, keep the eyes on the horizon. All good.

new topics

top topics

join