It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Star System do you think that ET could originate from?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Hello fellow ATS Members!

I've been doing some thinking on this topic as of late, and so I decided to start a thread to see what others might think. I did some searching through the ATS archives, and I found a one page thread with a similar theme from back in 2006.

It's here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This earlier thread focused mostly on myth, legend, and heresay (not that I think there is anything wrong with such speculation), so I wanted to re-examine the question, from the viewpoint of Science...

As we discover more and about the universe outside of our own Solar System, the possibilities for finding life grow exponentially. Since 1961, when Frank Drake established his infamous equation for finding the likely-hood of intelligent life in the universe, our knowledge of Extra-Solar Planets and Extra-Solar Systems has more than doubled.

Try the Drake Equation for yourself here:
www.activemind.com...

In fact, since that time we've even established an entirely new category of system body, often referred to as 'planetoid', and we've established that though these planetoids usually exist outside of the 'habitable zone' of a star, the possibility of life upon/within these satellites exists, especially in planetoids that orbit close to Gas Giants (and are heated by the force of the Gas Giant's gravity).

At any rate, my point here is that we now know for certain that Extra-Solar Planets and Extra-Solar Planetoids exist in Systems across the observable Universe. We know that these Systems contain primarily the same components (elements) found here in the Sol System.

The Math now firmly predicts the eventual discover of non terrestrial (by this I mean Earth based) life. The Math also firmly supports the possibility that some of that life will be ‘intelligent’ as judged by our human standards.

To this end, I ask the question:
“What are the most likely Star Systems, in YOUR opinion, where Intelligent Life might originate?”

There are many star systems out there, and it’s a bit hard to narrow down what we should be looking for. In my research into this topic, I’ve discovered a few criteria by which our search can be narrowed down:

1) Habitable Zones –
There are many different types of stars out there, and each type might well harbor a system full of planets that could well in turn harbor life. In each type of star, the output (heat, light, energy in general) will vary, causing a different ‘habitable zone’ section of the system. The star you target should have a fairly large habitable zone, with the possibility for planets within that zone. These zones are judged in distance from the star called AU (AU is Astronomical Unit, 1AU = approx the distance between the Earth and the Sun).

2) Age of the Star –
A star must have been around long enough for planets to form, and must in turn have been around long enough for these planets to develop (after a potential early bombardment phase) into stable environments suitable for life. A suitable age for such a star has been approximated (see space.com link below) at roughly 3 Billion Years.

3) Composition of the Star –
In order for planets to form around the initial star according to the theory of coalescence, the Star needs to contain heavy metals in large quantities, otherwise a system containing only gas planets should be expected, according to current predictions.

Space.com did a ‘Top 10’ List of Habitable Star Systems, for review, that list is here:
www.space.com...

I would like to know your ideas (based on these and other scientific criteria) on where we should be looking for signs of Extra-Solar Life. Here is an example of one my favorite stars, and why this particular star should NOT be at the top of our list…

Star Name: Fomalhaut
Star Habitable Zone: 2.11 AU to 6.58 AU
Age of Star: 100-300 Million Years
Composition of Star: Unknown

I use this only as an example, so that ATS members can functionally use this system for themselves to narrow down the stars they find of interest. Most of this data can be found online, in various Astronomical Journals. If you run into an ‘Unknown’ field, that Star should not necessarily be disqualified from the search until further data is revealed. However, should you run into a variable that does not fit the criteria (in this example, the age of the star is far too young) we can eliminate this star system from our search, or at least move it to the bottom of the list…

So what are your thoughts? Any personal favorite Stars you’d like to put to the test? Any further criteria you’d like to add to the list?

-WFA

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I think the SETI & TPF stars are good choices. I just wish the TPF had more funding. At this rate, it will be ages until it's finally launched. Damn, why can't some rich guy fund the TPF?
Hopefully the ESA will have better luck with Darwin.

[edit on 28-3-2008 by GrayFox]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Some of the closer stars to us are probably not good for developing planets with life on them. But there are some reasonably close stars (a few thousand years away), where there might be some aliens.

I vaguely remember a few years back about some contactee-associated aliens saying they were from Epsilon Eridani, so that's a favorite of mine. Although they could have been lying. Lying frickin' aliens!

www.solstation.com...

However, if aliens exist, and they have the ability to travel through subspace or virtual space or through some sideways dimension, they could be from anywhere and any time, including a future Earth.

P.S. -- I suppose SETI has listened real hard at most of the closer stars, but then apparently haven't found any "I Love Lucy" broadcasts from any of them. Or we probably would have heard about it.

[edit on 28-3-2008 by Nohup]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I am ot of my depth a bit here, so excuse my ignorance.

I read some time ago about how one of the shafts in the great pyramid pointed at sirius. can this in any way be conected to life in its system. not that I believe that alians built the pyramids, but I do think the pyramid builders new something we still don't. I am aware of the whole god and pharaoh thing.

You said any therory.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I'd agree, and thank you for mentioning the TPF. For those who don't know what we're talking about, the TPF is the proposed Terrestrial Planet Finder telescope array, a NASA Project. A good information source on the project is here:
planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov...

And here is a drawing of the finished product:

Thanks for the reply Grayfox!

-WFA

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
There are certainly plenty of references to Sirius...but my money's on Zeti-Reticuli....just for the basis of the Hill Case...that star map still blows me away....

link   
they could come from almost anywhere, put a pin on a star map and shine your flashlight into the sky...wait for a reply!!!

link   

Originally posted by WitnessFromAfar
I'd agree, and thank you for mentioning the TPF. For those who don't know what we're talking about, the TPF is the proposed Terrestrial Planet Finder telescope array, a NASA Project.

I'm pretty sure the White House canceled that project:

www.spaceref.com...

I guess they didn't see the need for spending billions of dollars for something to gather data that they get freely from the aliens they're already in contact with.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
Some of the closer stars to us are probably not good for developing planets with life on them. But there are some reasonably close stars (a few thousand years away), where there might be some aliens.

Hello Nohup! Thanks for giving this thread some thought

I just have one question, to clarify your distance estimate. When you say a few thousand years away, are you talking about at light speed or the fastest speed we can go circe 2008? Just curious, I was assuming Light Speed, but I just wanted to make sure that's what you meant.

Originally posted by Nohup
I suppose SETI has listened real hard at most of the closer stars, but then apparently haven't found any "I Love Lucy" broadcasts from any of them. Or we probably would have heard about it.

True, unless they are broadcasting in a different spectrum. Perhaps one that SETI does not monitor. We humans have been experimenting with the technological concept of sending information faster than light, should we not expect a species further advanced in it's evolutionary process to have discovered such a method?

-WFA

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by gingern
I am ot of my depth a bit here, so excuse my ignorance.

Not at all, but thank you for the qualification. Everyone's views are important on this, one of the greatest questions. I do appreciate it when people are honest about their knowledge base though. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

I read some time ago about how one of the shafts in the great pyramid pointed at sirius. can this in any way be conected to life in its system. not that I believe that alians built the pyramids, but I do think the pyramid builders new something we still don't. I am aware of the whole god and pharaoh thing.

This is a common perception, that the pyramids were at one point aligned with the Dog Star, and that they may in fact meant to have been lined up with Orion's Belt (very close to Sirius in the night sky). Much speculation has been made on the history of ancient Egypt. In fact, Richard Hoagland believes he has found a 'sister city' to Giza on Mars, called Cydonia.

I have no direct information on the validity of this theory, but it certainly makes one think, and I'd love for it to be tested.

You said any therory.

I did indeed
Thanks for your contribution!

-WFA

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by WitnessFromAfar
True, unless they are broadcasting in a different spectrum. Perhaps one that SETI does not monitor. We humans have been experimenting with the technological concept of sending information faster than light, should we not expect a species further advanced in it's evolutionary process to have discovered such a method?

There are all kinds of holes in SETI methodology regarding how they're listening for aliens, and what they're listening for. But I guess you have to cut them some slack because when it comes to aliens, we have a really hard time trying to think like an alien, because we're not.

You gotta start somewhere. SETI is looking for aliens that are essentially like us. They are organic beings, living in an organized society, who have advanced enough to figure out the basics of radio broadcasting, just like us. So we're scanning those frequencies, along with some like the hydrogen band, to see if there's anything to find. So far, no aliens.

There are problems like noise, and frequency drift and scattering to contend with, but those are dealt with as best as they can.

If the aliens are using some kind of super-duper subspace frequency, or communicate telepathically, or have some kind of other way of communicating or traveling at trans-light speeds, then we're screwed anyway, because we have no way of detecting it (yet). Our best hope is to find a kind of "Rosetta Stone" broadcast that tells us how to get up to speed and build the proper gizmo to tune into Galactic Radio. Nothing like that has been heard so far.

Or everybody might be just keeping a low profile in the galactic neighborhood so they don't attract predatory alien species. Here we are blasting radio into the sky, waving our hands and inviting the alien vampires to invade us. Oops!

[edit on 28-3-2008 by Nohup]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That's a very good point Gazrok, and I consider it an honor that you stopped by this thread! For those who are unfamiliar with the Hill Abduction, here is the wiki on it:
en.wikipedia.org...

Betty drew a star map based on information revealed to her by the Aliens, that in 1961 was just gobbledeegook (sp?).

In the time since, scientists have verified the 3rd star in the Zeta-Reticuli System, and proven Betty's map to be accurate. Here's a pic of her map:

And here's the actual system:

-WFA

EDITED to provide a new picture of the system, the first one didn't take on my end...

[edit on 28-3-2008 by WitnessFromAfar]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I will say go with M15 galaxy if you want to make contact with somebody. As far as (originate) good luck, there are many existances existing inside space and time not seen.

I picked up a phone call from space a long time ago where they were traveling through M15 galaxy, To M31 andromeda, into Zeta 2.

Through frequencies the body will travel.

seds.lpl.arizona.edu...

[edit on 28-3-2008 by menguard]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

Speaking of holes in the SETI methodology, I suppose that one of us should also mention the fact that SETI will only consider a signal 'Alien' if it repeats. Also, it must repeat while SETI is still listening in that area.

It's a tall order to fill, and it may be disqualifying actual signals in the process.

-WFA

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by menguard

That's an interesting System indeed! Thanks for the fact sheet

Please don't think I'm being rude here, just wanted a bit of clarity...
When you say 'picked up a phone call' do you mean that you were working for SETI and received a signal, or do you mean that you picked up your phone and over heard something? Or maybe picked it up on a radio receiving station?

Just wanted to make sure I'm understanding what you are saying.

-WFA

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by WitnessFromAfar

Think of it as Cosmic Contact that I recieved going through cosmic channels/ frequencies. This contact was one that dealt with our dark government using a new government viruis against us. Space people look out for their own if only we would listen. I can pick up quite a few different frequencies while in and out of body.

I use my body to go through frequencies, after all it is (space equipment).

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Well, I could go all 'you're nuts' about your reply, but I think that attitude is a bit childish. I'll say that I've never personally experienced such cosmic contact before, but I can't say that you didn't.

As mentioned above, Betty Hill's story was called into question, and the Star Map doubted for a very long time, until Science proved it an accurate depiction of the system.

So I hope you don't mind if I ask, do you have any idea what 'they' were saying? Just for the record, it may well turn out to vindicate you in the face of those who would question your statement.

(It's a tricky thing being an experiencer and a skeptical researcher at the same time)

Anyway, thanks for the clarification! M15 is likely to support life, according to the Space.com top ten list I posted earlier.

-WFA

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WitnessFromAfar

Don't expect a STAR MAP from me, you won't get it. Because I don't have any to give. Just blueprints for the soul to know. M15 is a station they travel through, I suspect a wormhole of some type is located in here or an entry and exit point also known as a Stargate they use to travel through.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by menguard

Cool! Well I certainly hope you are right, that would be a really neat thing to discover. I'm pretty sure that M15 is on the NASA interest list also, so I suppose we'll see what sort of data we can gather with our instruments here in the years to come. As Grayfox mentioned already, the ESA (European Space Agency) is also going to be actively looking, and once we get some variation of a TPF in orbit, we should be able to actually resolve visual images on many of the Extra-Solar planets already discovered.

These are exciting times.

I can't wait until someone puts up an Aristarcus (sp?) crater sized interfereometry telescope array on the moon! Those will be some amazing shots

-WFA

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Well the Betty and barney Hill maps are a favourite of mine, but my other nominaltions for ailen life is in the Pledian system as that is where the Nordics supposedly come from and of course Siruis. Why cant SETI just for a laugh point their atennas to the star sytems identified in famous UFO cases just to see what would happen ? No harm in trying ....

<<   2  3  4 >>

join