It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A $6000.00 ashtray

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
YOUR GOVERNMENT AT WORK
NYC busts shop owner for ashtray
Health inspectors enforce tough anti-smoking law with $6,000 fine

www.worldnetdaily.com...

Now I am all for laws against smoking in your car when kids are present and seatbelt laws and all the other "smoking bans" but this is just ridiculous.:shk:

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
That is one of the stupidest things I have ever read. How can you possibly fine him 6k for having an ashtray? That's just stupid. I don't smoke, but I have no problem with people smoking around me.(Call me odd, but I kinda like the smell)

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
"How can they take an inanimate object and make it illegal?"

Thats what I am asking. That is for real, by far the nuttiest I have every seen.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
"How can they take an inanimate object and make it illegal?"

Thats what I am asking. That is for real, by far the nuttiest I have every seen.

The same way they continue to let people sell cigarette papers, and when people are caught arrest them for "drug paraphanalia". The same way they continue to let them make tobacco products.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
If people want to smoke and risk dying of cancer I think we should let them. I personally have no problem with 2nd hand smoke. I like the smell most burning objects give off.(so I'm a little pyro, who cares)

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater
The same way they continue to let people sell cigarette papers, and when people are caught arrest them for "drug paraphanalia". The same way they continue to let them make tobacco products.

FYI - Drug paraphernalia does not include any items traditionally used with tobacco, like pipes and rolling papers.

JOE - I CARE DAMN IT! Get yourself some help

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
That is #ing rediculous !!! Ashtrays are outlawed? WTF?! This whole "anti-smoking" thing just pisses me right off. I dont even smoke ! I hate the smell of smoke...I just dont like it...but who am I, or who is anyone else to tell someone they cant smoke? What is next? Are they going to outlaw drinking? The logic of it says they should! Seeing as drinking can do much more immediate damage than ciggs. If you dont like smoking but still go to bars, then dont bitch about it. If you do go to a bar, then you know what to expect. Its a bar for # sakes! ITS A BAR !!! A BAR WHERE PEOPLE DRINK AND SMOKE !!!

Ok....now I feel better...I realize the whole no smoking in bars thing has not come about yet but they are trying for it...as far as that $6000 fine....all I can say is.....BULL# !!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheThinker
I realize the whole no smoking in bars thing has not come about yet but they are trying for it...as far as that $6000 fine....all I can say is.....BULL# !!!!

It's been banned here in California for a couple years now...so we're used to it.

Wanna hear something really funny?

SMOKING BAN HITS CANNABIS CAFE CULTURE

EUROPE'S mecca for marijuana users has suffered a sobering shock. Under a
new ban on smoking in public places, the infamous Dutch coffee shops can
still sell joints, but their customers will have to go outside to smoke them.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venus

Originally posted by TheThinker
I realize the whole no smoking in bars thing has not come about yet but they are trying for it...as far as that $6000 fine....all I can say is.....BULL# !!!!

It's been banned here in California for a couple years now...so we're used to it.

Wanna hear something really funny?

SMOKING BAN HITS CANNABIS CAFE CULTURE

EUROPE'S mecca for marijuana users has suffered a sobering shock. Under a
new ban on smoking in public places, the infamous Dutch coffee shops can
still sell joints, but their customers will have to go outside to smoke them.

Shows how up I am on things going on in places other than my own little world

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I am usually one the first people to respond on threads about Americans losing rights. Usually I'll ask something like show me what rights you may have lost.
But this one really has me scratching my head. Ok,so we have lost the right smoke in most places,I can live with that. Don't like it but, I can accept it.
But now you can be fined for having an ashtray in a non smoking zone. Even if it is a decorative ashtray. One that you never intended to use to put a cigarrette in.
All based on the theory that if you can't smoke,you don't need an ashtray. Idiots. I'l be damned if someone is going to tell me what decorations or objects I can have.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Sounds like one of those extreme shock laws... almost likened to the new laws about requiring a breathalizer connected into the ignition systems of cars in New Mexico. Now thats over the top

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Smoking is terrible and should be outlawed. I smoked for about 8 years from 14 to 22 of age. My grandfather is 74 years old and has smoked since he's been 12. Now you think well he's lived a long time but the truth is he can't enjoy life. He had to have 5 bypasses in his heart due to smoking 10 years ago and now can't walk 20 feet without stopping to catch his breath. He is so addicted that he will take a breathing treatment on a nebulyzer and smoke a cigarette at the same time. Who knows how long he would lived if he hadn't smoked. Hence why I am for an all out ban.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
If you cant own an ashtray, and you cant throw the butts on the street, how are you supposed to stop smoking?!?!?!?

Either let us litter, or give us ashtrays!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Venus
FYI - Drug paraphernalia does not include any items traditionally used with tobacco, like pipes and rolling papers.

Hmm why is it then that I've had cops take my bongs ( I mean water pipes) before?

Also had a cop search my car cause I had a pack of blunts in my glovebox.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
This is why I'm never going to go to New York. This is bulls#!t.

top topics

join