It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS just entertainment? Or something more?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I find that too many people apply their own personal philosophical / theoretical perspectives when it comes to discussiong aliens and encourage speculation and crystal ball gazing rather than hardcore discussion of the evidence that is out there. That's where it frustrates me. It's like some members are deriving their own entertainment by discussing the existence of aliens as a purely intellectual exercise. I would prefer to see proper discussion of actual cases rather than 'what if aliens landed in my backyeard, would i offer them a cup of coffee and would they shoot me'... and then someone responds with their witty-but-ultimately-pointless summation of what they would do in that situation. There's too much of this sort of thing going on.

[edit on 29-3-2008 by RiotComing]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Well I met my first wife on ATS! And renewed my faith in the Church

My dog gets laid more now too
, but ATS may or may not have had a hand in that... You better not have had a hand in that

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by RiotComing
That's where it frustrates me. It's like some members are deriving their own entertainment by discussing the existence of aliens as a purely intellectual exercise. I would prefer to see proper discussion of actual cases rather than 'what if aliens landed in my backyeard, would i offer them a cup of coffee and would they shoot me'...

Lucid's Abduction Experience (the Greys)

I'd love to hear your thoughts man

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   
ats fluxuates in content, but I really just look at it as entertainment. Most of the "breaking news" is really just reposted from digg / slashdot / reddit / other news sites, and most of the other posts I really enjoy are just people's opinions on things that cannot be proven.

I wouldn't come to ATS for facts on anything, but rather as somewhat of a zeitgeist on various topics, to see what's getting the most buzz, and just to vent.

I'd like to see ats as more informative, and that was my original impression, but it's just too hard for me to take ats serious, since it's just like any other internet forum with flaming and off-topic discussion, etc.

I'd give more credit to the TinWiki, if ATS gave more credit to it. By calling it "Tin" and making light of the content therein, it sort of comes off as entertainment over information too. However, I believe that's the intent for it, along with these boards.

to be more fair, its both informative and entertaining. something like edutainment, but perhaps a little more off-key.

p.s. lucid lunacy - edited.

[edit on 29-3-2008 by scientist]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

I wouldn't come to ATS for facts on anything, but rather as somewhat of a zeitgeist on various topics, to see what's getting the most buzz, and just to vent.

Perhaps so, but i'd much rather come to ATS to hear my facts then just watch mainstream news on the tele

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
All of the OP and much much more...

I am entertained or I would not spend the HOURS each day I do here..

I am definitely educated by the exceptional minds here on ATS..

I get information and current news updates on topics I am interested in and do not have to sit through the commercials to get it...

Just as importantly, I get the opportunity to test my intellectual strength (Such that it is) against those here and I have learned to be humble...

ATS has for me, opened my eyes to a whole other venue of thought process. If you all think I am conservative now, ask Grover how I was when i first started posting... HAHAHAHAHA I have learned here on ATS, that just because I think I am right, in no way makes it so.. That is valuable information right there...

Made friends, increased my world view and been educated, all for FREE... WOW..

GO ATS

Semper

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I feel it is a healthy mix of both.
I love to have the option to either take it serious or just come on to lighten up and have fun, connect and relax. And I love chat for both because you never know which direction it will be moving in when you get there.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
ATS intrigues me on religious, history and prophecy topics.

ATS amuses me on alien, paranormal, and superstitious topics.

ATS gets my goat on political topics.

I enjoy it here, though I sometimes get tired of reading the same ol' crap.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
ATS, for me, is so much.

It is quite entertaining.
It is a learning experience on various topics AND how humans behave, think and live. I have learned a lot. My world had been expanded and my eyes/ears/mind opened a bit more.

And I have met some of the most fabulous people here. People whom I call my FRIEND and have become VERY close to and have taken it off line.

ATS is what we make of it

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I've recently seen one member post on ATS in relation to a photo of an 'alien' : "cool pic though regardless if its real or not!".

In other threads, I have seen a few posts along the lines of "great story, I don't care if it is true or not".

Such comments suggest that at least some people are on ATS just for entertainment (which is, of course, absolutely fine) - but I still don't have a feel for the prevalence of such a view...

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

I cannot speak for anyone else other than myself here.

I find ATS part enjoyment, part entertainment, and part informational.

I happen to know it is considered "open source intelligence" for some people.

Whether they are ATS'ers innocently here, Law Enforcement watching, or the specific Intelligence Agencies to get the "pulse" and "temperature" of the international community.

Going To Your Public Library, Gathering Open Source Intelligence, and Surviving

[edit on 29-9-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi
I've recently been wondering whether members of ATS generally just consider ATS merely as a source of entertainment (and aren't too worried about the truth of stories told here).

Do you consider ATS to be something more than mere entertainment? YES

Do you expect to learn from the discussions on ATS? YES

Does ATS contribute to the wider studies of UFO reports and/or conspiracy theories? YES

Just wondering...

All the best,

Isaac

[edit on 28-3-2008 by IsaacKoi]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
If you think all of it is entertainment, you must be blind.

Sure there are people who post stuff they have made up, but there is also good threads with concrete evidence. 9/11 comes to mind, as well as much of the threads about NASA deceits.

There is many lies being uncovered today. Once faith in government is lost, it can never be gained again. And people are much smarter today and dont go on credibility alone like robots.

[edit on 29-9-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

I think it is primarily meant as a social experiment that metaphorically takes the collective consciousness' emotional pulse.

Secondarily, I believe it to be a research project with the goal of determining the psychological triggers best used to control our thoughts and actions as a group-mind.

And possibly, the emotional impact of fear, mistrust, skepticsm, gullibility and curiosity keeps some members coming back for more despite the negative slant on information gathering & dissection. We are desperate to know what is really happening in our world, highly curious about other perceptions and desire to make a personal impact on our shared consciousness.

I don't know about any of you, but since I joined this site, my personality has undergone a deep depression, sense of helplessness, doom & gloom and heightened sense of distrust in mankind.

I used to be a positive person for the most part, able to raise my emotional level and focus on productive ideas and actions. I observed myself morph into something I don't like.

So, my introduction thread that I haven't created yet, will be my goodbye ATS thread. It was fun for a minute and often exciting. But it overtook my mind and focus with intense negativity. Perspective narrowed and self-inflicted addiction to the boards changed me for the worse.

I'll still come around from time to time to see what you are all discussing, but probably will not need to post my opinion very often now that I understand what is really happening here.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I don't know about any of you, but since I joined this site, my personality has undergone a deep depression, sense of helplessness, doom & gloom and heightened sense of distrust in mankind.

I used to be a positive person for the most part, able to raise my emotional level and focus on productive ideas and actions. I observed myself morph into something I don't like.

I guess the site should offer a choice between the red and the blue pill upon registration. Ignorance is bliss and very comfortable.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I find it to be a very useful site. Yes, it's got it's share of quacks, but what place doesn't?

There's far more going on in the world that the population never finds out - scientific findings that take years to become common knowledge and even longer to become the accepted "how it is" of life, along with all the other things that would make the news if the news was reputable.

I don't know what the deal is with life, the universe and everything. I do know that our archeology and geology have shown us that there's stuff in our past that doesn't match up with the perceived notion of what happened and who we as a people were a long time ago. I don't know what that means, and I'm not sure what did happen, all I can tell for sure is that what I was taught in school is not the full story, and I want to know why.

If we do look through history, and read all the stories about this country and that country, this king and his knights who protected the people, or didn't protect the people, I do see one constant. The vast majority of the people at the time knew nothing of what was really going on. It's only with the perspective of history that we get the full story. I see no reason why that should be any different now. The story we're in the middle of is something other than what we think it is.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

I guess the site should offer a choice between the red and the blue pill upon registration. Ignorance is bliss and very comfortable.

You got that right! I should have said no to the red pill but I didn't. Now what? LOL Ignorance is not bliss. The age old question, is it better to know, or not?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Its even more a mix of entertainment and journalism than msm...we live in an age and mentality where what is real and what is not gets blurred...this is fun, informative, exciting...and sometimes also dangerous...

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I have to say it is entertaining, educational and informative. Sometimes scary. I started a thread one time about a top secret payload going into space. I mean really, I was just trying to get the information out there. I could care less if people thought it was cool or not. Anyway, I had two members really digging into it and pulling up some whacky material that I knew nothing about. I was way out of my league at this point and I didn't know how to reply and I started the darn thing!

Anyway, one of them starts getting all kinds of problems logging in and what not. One guy, called Syndicate joined at that moment and left a short comment and stated that we have a nice forum here. It was his avatar that got me. It said funny guy, I kill you last. I checked this guys profile to this day and it is still the one and only post he ever made and the one and only time he ever logged in. That freaked me out. That is some stuff I could use in a story for sure.

So it is sometimes adventurous as well. I mean I have learned a lot on this site about the world and about myself. It really does have a lot of potential to become something great and I believe it is heading in that direction. It's a lot of fun and educational at the same time. What else could be said?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Quite more. I came here first with the intention of finding complete like-minded individuals similar to myself (so far no success) but I have enjoyed the abundant ammount of information provided here and many of the topics and video media.

What I hope to learn more about is simply that in which this website was created for and do with it as I please to decide whether it is true or false.

Oh yes definitely contributes! I have found soo many stories that I have never heard about as far as UFO's and aliens go and find it quite exciting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join