It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS just entertainment? Or something more?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I've recently been wondering whether members of ATS generally just consider ATS merely as a source of entertainment (and aren't too worried about the truth of stories told here).

Do you consider ATS to be something more than mere entertainment?

Do you expect to learn from the discussions on ATS?

Does ATS contribute to the wider studies of UFO reports and/or conspiracy theories?

Just wondering...

All the best,

Isaac

[edit on 28-3-2008 by IsaacKoi]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Personally ATS serves as a conflux of information, and whether that information is true or false is down to the individual ultimately.

Which is why it's important to come to terms with oneself as an individual, and by that i don't simply mean turn everything you can to your own advantage - that isn't individualism, that's just moral perversion.

Does ATS contribute to the wider studies?

I would like to think so.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
This depends on how you want to define "entertainment".

Will ATS keep me on the edge of my seat like a good action movie? No.

Will ATS provide me with the rush of adrenaline like a sport? Negative.

Does ATS dance and sing a tune for my enjoyment? Nay.

Do I enjoy reading post after post of theories? Yes!

So yes it is a form of entertainment, but in a class all by itself. About as much entertainment as reading a book or magazine.

The reason it is entertaining is because we are all here to find truth behind certain subject matters. People that aren't looking for this truth will not find any entertainment either.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Personally, I think ATS helps to expand possibilities as well as keep you skeptical due to hoax's. All in all I think that it is a blessing. I am sure that if and when I see fox news dicussing disclosure, there will be a refrence to ATS somewhere in the report. (I use fox just as an example)

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Depends on what entertainment means, but to me, no, ATS is NOT entertainment. Personally I wouldn't get much entertainment out of serious questions and threads about the end of the world.

TC

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi
I've recently been wondering whether members of ATS generally just consider ATS merely as a source of entertainment (and aren't too worried about the truth of stories told here).

Does ATS contribute to the wider studies of UFO reports and/or conspiracy theories?

Just wondering...

All the best,

Isaac

[edit on 28-3-2008 by IsaacKoi]

Do i consider ATS to be more than entertainment, well, there is alot of good posts, and then some that make me laugh, i think it is a bit of both for me.

I think i've learned alot here, and i've contributed to making threads and posts in others threads.
I think knowledge is going in both ways here.

If ufology gains anything from this place in general, yes i think it does, we here on ATS is quite good to see what is a HOAX or not, that is very good, and that i think ufology will gain on.

S&F

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
When I first came here all those years ago I saw it as a place where one could come and have an intelligent discussion away from the 'typical' internet personality.

Now though, I post very rarely because to be painfully honest, this wonderful website has been flooded with those who's vocabulary consists purely of acronyms.

That being said, there are some threads on here that still some deep thinking and nice discussion, it just seems much harder to actually find them.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
to me ats is my source of unedited news,not controlled by the gov,yet anyway. most breaking news stories have links with creditable news sources. some stories are truely unbelievable where some are as concrete as possible. so its really a great information source covering many topics. i guess the main thing i like is reading other peoples opinions and seeing where i stand and knowing i am not alone.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I see ATS as a source of information that contributes to my knowledge base and offers insight into areas that are of particular interest to me but that are not necessarily 'main stream'. Just after the recent earthquake hit the UK I remember reading a post that laughingly said (I'm paraphrasing here) ‘what an odd thing to do: experience an earthquake = log on to ATS’. I agreed that it was a funny thing to do but it was exactly what I'd done (at 1am). I immediately came onto ATS because I knew that there would be some sort of information and response even just a few minutes after the event. That was a great feeling - one of connection with like minds in an unusual situation (for me and the UK anyway).

For me ATS has many different layers: fact finding, teaching and learning, entertainment, connection and sharing of experience to name a few. I also think that it contributes to the body of knowledge in several important areas of study.

It can also be very frustrating (or rather some of the threads/posts can) but even that, in some ways, adds to the 'flavour' of the site.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I personally find it educational. Even considering that i have not being here for long, i learned a lot. Even without all supposed conspiracies , there are a lot of great info i can not find in outer world. And low PC policy ,which kind of shocked me at first, is actually a breath of fresh air.
I really started to respect people here and this forum when NASA and Japanese declared that another planet/planets in our Solar system are a possibility. And how i laughed before that ,reading all that people who claimed this fact too....And it was not the only occasion.
So thanks to all the people who unlike me can think outside the box.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Yes. It is a mix of serious dicussion and entertainment. Like any wherehouse of information, it is up to the individual to discern fact from fiction.

I found have some members of ATS to be very knowledgable on a wide range of topics. Not only have I learned from others on ATS, I expect to continue to receive knew ideas and knowledge through intellectual, interesting and passionate discussions.

This could be accomplished by the sheer volume of ATS membership. You throw the "quality aspect" of some more educated and dedicated members, and the answer is a resounding yes!

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I find it hard to settle on one. ATS does indeed serve an entertainment purpose for me. Sometimes I am bored and for no other reason sit down and browse what everyone is talking about. Yet at the same time I find it valuable for staying current on what's happening in the world as reported by the main stream media as well as first hand encounters.
Even though there is alot of crazy stuff that floats around here I have learned a great bit on alterenative topics.
Also it is comforting to know that I am not alone in my feelings and veiw points relating to the topics discussed.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Graffito on the wall at the end of the universe.

Some of it is only that Killroy was here.

Some of it speaks of the grand journey to El Dorado.

Some of it warns of the night crawlers and quicksand traps.

Some of it is a map back to the light/darkness of home ground.

We would never have come to this wall if the trip was not entertainment and wisdom combined.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Oh, another one of these.

So long, thanks for all the fish.

What does it matter if you try and fail or not try at all, if you get the same result? At least you did something.

See, it wasn't a one line post.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
My journey with ATS has been educational and entertaining. It has also been a lesson in restraint. There are times when I want to lash out at a poster but have learned to be as civilized as possible or refrain from posting at all. Being very out spoken that has been a bit difficult for me.

The younger members have given me hope for our future. They are concerned and very astute.

Knowing there are others out there like me is a relief and encourages me to not give up in my hopes for a better society.

ATS is my home away from home when I travel. It is also my refuge when I've had a rough day.

We may disagree but we are family.

Dizzie

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I consider ATS to have a potential that far exceeds what we presently see.

It's a meeting place for the world and, as more and more of the human population comes online, it stands to become as great as Plato's agora- a meeting place for everyone to express their ideas and ask those questions that bother them.

Look past the frivolous bits and try focus on those things that are meaningful to humanity as a whole. Watch as Chinese members tackle the contemporay issue of Tibet, or, read Russian members talking about their fears and asperations.

It's already starting to take on that 'flavour' of a truly international meeting place.

But, if you really don't care about the serious issues right now, there's a place for fun and entertainment too. The membership is playing with all the cards and us mods are just here to make sure they're dealt out according to Hoyle.

What can be better than that?

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
ATS is both entertainment and informative to me. It gives me a chance to learn from others as well as being a forum for me to put information out on ATS that maybe someone else might need to put something together for him or her.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I´m grateful for finding A.T.S. but on the other hand I get so frustrated with the stupidity on this board sometimes I simply log out not to return for months on end.

What you experience on A.T.S. is influenced by your mood at the time you are logged in. Just browsing is fine, but when you have posted something which (to you) seems of major significance and noone replies this can be very frustrating. Then again maybe it is not of major significance after all eh?

You have to keep reminding yourself that "It´s just a forum" and that "No, the mods are not bias".

Even though the theories that appear to be true in your eyes may be complete and utter nonsense to someone else, you cannot help but feel that there is some form of connected consciousness on A.T.S. where everyone is partially linked to another.

Add the excellent SEO by the staff giving them first page Google ranking on almost every conspiracy subject out there, and you have a winner.

Can´t live with it, can´t live without it.

We´re all doomed

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I think of ATS kind of like gold prospecting in a sewage treatment plant. You have to sift through a lot of, well you know, sometimes. But often you find solid gold. Sometimes I can amuse myself for a while skimming through mindless laughable threads. I find it is kinda like watching a sitcom. Other times threads are so deep, and well-thought out and loaded with arguments and facts, that it can be hard to even read through them, purely overwhelming.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
For myself, it is at times good cheap entertainment and at times much more if you allow it to be.

I find myself constant prickeled out of my poorly conceived convictions and moved to do some hard investigation and keep asking the questions of myself until I am satisfied.

Sometimes this requires a new set of unthought of paramaters.

If nothing else it serves to reinforce my belief that I am not the only one that thinks I can hit a bull in the butt with a banjo if allowed the proper preparations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join