It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And God said: Do Not Oppress an Alien!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Megaquad
Sure, flashlights can also be used for smashing people's heads... but thats just one of many uses I'm not saying thats what they are for...

You have proven that this woman is silly.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
and you have just proven yourself to be the ignorant idiot that I didn't think you were.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
You have proven that this woman is silly.

And you have proven that you have a singular view and when anyone tries to offer another...you resort to personal attacks.

The word "stranger" could be taken many ways. Wasn't it thought that Jesus was born in a manger? The word was "Kataluma". The original Greek word has no strict English translation. Kataluma, means literally "to loose down". It is used to describe a place that travellers could use when travelling or visiting away from home. The 17th century "authorised" version translates it as "an Inn" as does the Good News Bible, the New International version, the Jerusalem Bible & the Living Bible. The New English Bible, however, translates it as "house".

So now, with all of the possiblilities of translation, are you saying that your take on it is the correct one and no possible alternatives exist?

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
GOD told his children to value all life, regardless of where it came from.

Whether it originated in a foriegn land, or planet.

For GOD created all of existence and thus, GOD must have created all that would be a stranger to you. Just as GOD's people were stangers in the land of Egypt.

GOD's edict was for man to realize that ALL life he created. And to treat any and all life with respect as one of GOD's creation. IF you destroy life then you must treat it with respect in death as GOD has instructed you to do. To not defile that which is dead. To not kill for the sake of killing.

Alien, foriegner, stranger, savage, animal, human it makes no differrence.

IMO of course

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The Bible IS a book of interpertation. you read it and each person gets or understands it in one way or another.
IMO there are only a few places in the Bible, that are said to be "Gods word" IE given to a human by God. The rest is written by and interperted by humans.
If not than we have been lead on a lie...
In all Bibles, if I am not mistaken, Genesis is the same.

this quote from Chapter 1
"1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."
and then a few quotes down in Chapter 2
"2:21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. "

Why no explanation of what happened to the FIRST woman (supposed to be Lillith) could it be an oversite by the writer? (Who by the way we really do not know WHO the writer of Genesis is)
www.csinfo.org...
Or did God make a mistake and that is why it is never mentioned, because we can't have a God that makes mistakes?

Unless of course you really want to argue a point, you could read this
"1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:"

WHO is US/OUR..the catholics say the Holy Trinity (Holy Spirit, Jesus and God)
but then that would raise the question, how can a Holy Spirit have form or features?
Not quite sure what other offshoots say about the "us" in Genesis. And please don't say that God was talking about himself in the third person.

[Edited on 23-2-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Please remind me not to take anything you say seriously in the future, this nonsence isn't worth it....
You are just trolling for an argument....

Originally posted by worldwatcher

but the point of this thread and others I have created in regards to the Bible "Jesus and Murder" is to simply prove a point that the Bible can be interpreted in many ways to prove any particular point or agenda.

no one can be 100% certain that the use of the word, the Bible is not an exact duplication of God's words...i am pretty certain there were other words that could have been used and that may not have translated to "alien", we would have to go back to the Torah or exact word and exact definition. The King James Version of the bible uses stranger, other versions use alien.

in this aspect, alien is meant to equal "strangers or foreigners" to a land. those strangers or foreigners could be from another country or another planet. I am not saying that they are.

My point is simply that it (bible) can be interpreted in different ways and used for different agendas as so many have already shown by their replies to this thread

[Edited on 23-2-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Please remind me not to take anything you say seriously in the future, this nonsence isn't worth it....
You are just trolling for an argument....
[Edited on 23-2-2004 by Netchicken]

You don't have to take anything I say seriously, you don't even have to read my thread, you can continue your life without my opinions by simply putting me on ignore, it's your choice, why did you even waste your time to copy my words and respond to the thread?

and as a matter of fact, I do not consider this an arguement. There is nothing to argue, those words and many others are written in the bible for all to see and to interpret in their own way. This is is an open discussion regarding the interpretation of the bible. I don't go around calling people silly or saying their comments are nonsense because they take a different view than me, so the only one looking for an arguement in this situation is you.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
You ask a question

"Okay bible scholars, what did God mean by this, I find it can be interpreted in more than one way, of course it could be they were alien to the land, but it also mean that they were truly "aliens" what's your take?"

People here take the time to answer you with the truth, you don't like it and shift the goal posts to say that you were actually trying to make a point.

Its a waste of our time for the entire first page. If you really wanted to make a point then you could have come out and made it.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
You ask a question

"Okay bible scholars, what did God mean by this, I find it can be interpreted in more than one way, of course it could be they were alien to the land, but it also mean that they were truly "aliens" what's your take?"

People here take the time to answer you with the truth, you don't like it and shift the goal posts to say that you were actually trying to make a point.

Its a waste of our time for the entire first page. If you really wanted to make a point then you could have come out and made it.

Where did you see me say anything against either side of the discussion????? and not believing what others say??? I don't believe I said anything on my particular belief of the use of the word alien in that context except to say it can be taken both ways

quoting myself:

I still think this use of the word "alien" could be interpreted both ways, once again proving to me at least that the bible is open to interpretation and can be used by anyone to promote their particular agenda.

ET believers will say that it is proof that aliens exists and were part of the Genesis story

Non believers will stick to their belief that the word "alien" just meant foreigner.

quoting myself again
first off, I am not a lunatic, well at least I don't think so

but the point of this thread and others I have created in regards to the Bible "Jesus and Murder" is to simply prove a point that the Bible can be interpreted in many ways to prove any particular point or agenda.

no one can be 100% certain that the use of the word, the Bible is not an exact duplication of God's words...i am pretty certain there were other words that could have been used and that may not have translated to "alien", we would have to go back to the Torah or exact word and exact definition. The King James Version of the bible uses stranger, other versions use alien.

in this aspect, alien is meant to equal "strangers or foreigners" to a land. those strangers or foreigners could be from another country or another planet. I am not saying that they are.

My point is simply that it (bible) can be interpreted in different ways and used for different agendas as so many have already shown by their replies to this thread

[end of quoting myself]

Several people gave opinions, I didn't criticize any opinion, I didn't shift anything, I only responded to those that were personal attacks against my sanity, so far I've have just allowed everyone to make thier own interpretion, and if you have such a big problem with me and my ideas, like I said before, use your ignore button and stop wasting your time on my thread.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Exodus 23:9 "Do not oppress an alien; you yourselves know how it feels to be aliens, because you were aliens in Egypt.�

Moses was the author of Exodus, the purpose was to record the events of Israel�s deliverance from Egypt and their development as a nation. The Hebrews were once highly favored in the land and are now slaves of the Pharaoh. It�s clear in the passage the use of �alien� referred to them (Hebrews) as separate or not of the land anymore, they were slaves not citizens they had no human rights. Moses was in line to become Pharaoh of the land until he realized that he was also a Hebrew. God told him his allegiance should be with another country (Israel) the land that God would provide, and he was to lead them to the �land of milk and honey�.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I'll take this from the New Testament (seems like few follow it) and give yall some advice

"If you don't like what you read/see...pluck your eye out"--Matthew, Chapter 18

Cause you guys seem stuck on the Old Testament ...
Matthew 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

I mean come on...if Jesus could have a little patience and understanding AND courtesy, and not really care WHO said it, so should we....

Or you could read this ONGOING debate as to what the correct interpretation of
"almah". Some folks say it means "virgin"

www.dtl.org...

Some folks say it means "young woman"
www.geocities.com...
But you know what I DID NOT read in either of these "interpretations? I didn't see any maligining of their fellow "scholars"
Come on people if only 25% of what we talk about here on this board, has ANY truth to it, we, as a PEOPLE will need to learn to live together, talk and discuss together, WITHOUT going ballistic, or we will never survive "whatever" it is that is coming.
This place to me is about knowledge, it's about uncovering the truth, WHATEVER that truth maybe.
It's not about who is right or who is wrong, it's about understanding.

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Worldwatcher,
I think you are missing a very significant point regarding the use of the word "alien". Alien does not mean a being from another planet, except for in modern slang.

The literal meaning, according to Webster's dictionary, is:
Alien
Function: noun
1 : a person of another family, race, or nation
2 : a foreign-born resident who has not been naturalized and is still a subject or citizen of a foreign country; broadly : a foreign-born citizen

Illegal aliens, for instance, are not illegal visitors from outer space. They are humans who have entered a foreign country illegally.

If they had been referring to an "alien", as you define the term, they would have called it an "extraterrestrial" or something similar.

You are correct in saying that the Bible is open to interpretation. Anyone who denies this, has not tried to understand it's meaning for themselves. It is impossible to read the Bible, without the influence of another person, and come up with exactly the same interpretation of every single point. It is filled with metaphors, which speak to different people in different ways. Much like the Rorschach test, the idea is to read it and understand what it means to you, not what someone else says it should mean. In doing so, however, do not allow your desire to prove other's interpretations wrong, cause you to misinterpret things yourself.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
maybe i picked the wrong the quote, there are lots of translations issues in the bible that I could have chosen, (but i dont think so) the reason I chose the "alien" quote from the bible was because I have two versions of the bible and the word "alien" is only in one, stranger is used in another version, and since we tend to talk about aliens alot and there is a theory out there, that aliens were the creators of man and religion, I figured it was an appropriate choice to make my point.

this discussion started because of two other threads, in which certain words taken from the bible were being used to make another point, example colonel using "brass" in the description of Jesus's feet to say that meant Jesus was definitely black. And that anyone who says anything otherwise which opposed his views is wrong and would be going to hell.
I understand they were different discussions, but the point I was trying to make, is that the words used in the bible can be open to interpretation and not word for word. I find hard to comprehend how some part of the bible are taken literally word for word by Christians but in other instances, they use interpretation skills to make their point.

sorry for offending anyone by allowing them to think that I believed that alien definitely meant extraterrestial, I never said that, in my very post I clearly said that the word could be interpreted in both ways, simply to prove the point that any one can use different interpretations in order to promote whatever agenda they might have.

and i appreciate all the responses made to the thread, stating each person's interpretation, my only problem is when people feel they need to attack my intelligence or sanity because I actually suggested such a thing. anyway, I am done with this, I have gained the insight that I wanted.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Alien means forener- thats not an interpritation thats the meaning of the word. when we hear alien we think of space now- the actual word means forener. to me a german person would be an alien

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Jonna

Also, it is analogous to "you were aliens in Egypt." Were the Israelites "space aliens"? No.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: I fully agree with the OP (
) position that this can be read many different ways ( In my Eric Von Danikin days I would of unhesitatingly agreed with the ET version and still do to a little extent as how can an ET NOT be a foreigner???
) and it crossed my mind, could Alien be a ancient Middle Eastern Name such as Ali En ( I know this is a complete linguistic distortion)? Which to me sorta rhymes awfully close with Elo[Ali]-(H)im[En]. Just a complete running blind with the ball there. Heres hoping I scored a touchdown!

Personal Disclosure: Seeing the ancient Hebrew didn't have vowels could this have been mistaken for somebodies name that had the same consonants in the same order??? Just a wild musing!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join