It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are So Many People On Drugs?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Personally...I don't do drugs. I drink...but that's another issue.

~Ducky~

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Many people start with a prescription medication--for pain, anxiety,depression or etc.--and that makes them feel so good they want more and more of it. I don't understand what's the thrill of being completely in la-la-land, but apparently it's a state of mind many people seek.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
As we evolved mentally and physically, we devolved spiritually, slowly losing contact with our subconcious, a power which Colin Wilson refers to as Faculty X in his book The Occult.
People take drugs to reconnect to that power, which is a sort of like a sixth sense.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Whether people like it or not the truth is that most people take recreational drugs because of the effect they have.
They either make you feel good or they help you party for longer sometimes with enhanced sensations / empathy etc.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Personally...I don't do drugs. I drink...but that's another issue.

FYI: Alcohol IS a drug. So, it's not another issue. It's the same issue.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

I'd agree; alcohol is a similar problem.

Uh, only difference is that no other drug consumption is the cause of so many fatalities.

Alcohol fixes the brain and destroys the liver, leading to cirrhosis. Few other drugs are so harmful to the consumer, not even nicotine (and other substances in tobacco).

In addition, alcohol is strongly involved in domestic abuse.

Finally, the effects of its use are used as an excuse. 'Oh, he didn't know what he was doing, he was drunk'. I find this reprehensible, and I blame the legal system for giving drunks this out.

This is no slam on Ducky, just a slam on drinking and on those who pass it off as nothing.

It's not, in fact, imo, it's one of the worst drugs you can be addicted to by far.

[edit on 29-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Essentially I agree with you.
Alcohol abuse pays a large contributory factor in health and social issues.?

I am what most would consider a heavy drinker.
I do not get violent and abusive in drink, in fact I am quite genial and most sociable.
I am a drinker, not a drunkard.
A big difference.

So I would suggest that a massive factor is the person.
The majority of people handle drink perfectly reasonably.

I suspect that the people who are prone to abuse alcohol would also be prone to abuse other substances too.
Some people just have addictive natures.
Other's don't.

apc

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Egad when I was a teenager I would walk around with a pint of vodka in my pocket. These days I can barely handle a few beers. Alcohol is indeed the most harmful drug when addicted. But besides the smoked varieties, gifts from God in some people's opinion, fermentation is one of the oldest methods for achieving altered states. So that sort of knocks down that whole "sign of the end times" argument being brought. Especially as Jesus allegedly made a whole lot of the drug out of water. Unless of course that's perfectly OK because some Jew said so...

[edit on 29-3-2008 by apc]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy

post by the duckster
'Personally...I don't do drugs. I drink...but that's another issue.'

FYI: Alcohol IS a drug. So, it's not another issue. It's the same issue.

If the the issue was the legality of drinking the duckster would be correct. However, the OP was exploring drugs in a physiological sense. So alcohol is the same issue on this thread, which is about the human need to alter itself through chemicals.
I think religion, gambling or rollercoasters could be lumped in this thread as well based on the chemical effects on the brain and people's addiction to those feelings.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I couldn't agree more. The person involved is a big factor.

There was an article out recently about a popular substance and how some people were strongly addicted and others could just partake on the weekends.

I drank beer back in the days after college, but never got drunk. I stopped drinking in the 80s - I just lost interest one day. I have some champagne on New Year's, maybe half a glass and that's it.

Can't say I miss it, especially given how expensive it is to maintain a beer habit these days.

Other people can't just have one drink. They know they're addictive and maybe fall under the category of 'addictive personality'. It's not an 'out' to allow or approve of self-destructive behavior, but it explains how it can be a problem to some and not so much to others

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

See, this is what this thread is all about. Thank you for that answer. I can see where that may be an answer- only thing is, ancient humans did it also, constantly seeking that root or herb to make them high.
I still think its a glitch father God didnt think of.
But thanks!

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
reply to post by TheComte

See, this is what this thread is all about. Thank you for that answer. I can see where that may be an answer- only thing is, ancient humans did it also, constantly seeking that root or herb to make them high.
I still think its a glitch father God didnt think of.
But thanks!

I'm talking about way back before we were actually human, we possessed a Faculty X like an animal's sixth sense. We were more in tune with nature, and the natural consciousness. As we began to walk upright and to develop reasoning ability, we lost that feeling of being connected. The earliest shamans sought a reconnection by taking mind altering drugs. For more info check out the book The Occult by Colin Wilson. He does a better job of explaining it than I have done here.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I agree, most everyone seems to be on some drug or another-some legal some not. It seems to me that many people who take certain drugs love to point fingers at others who take different drugs.

My case(s) and point(s): How many people start the day withy coffee-caffeine is a drug.
In fact it is an addictive drug.
Don't think so; try stopping all caffeine for a month.
Most likely, you will have a bad headache for 1-2 weeks (ask any doctor and they will tell you it is withdrawals. (It is still legal)

How many people smoke cigarettes?
In fact nicotine is a very addictive drug. (Quitting has been compared to quitting heroin) (It is still legal, in fact with new methods to get your addicted drug-smoking/patch/gun....)

How many people drink?
Alcohol is certainly a drug. (It is still legal) I am not suggesting anyone do illegal drugs, but I ask-save for the fact they are illegal- what is the real difference???

For that matter, would it make a difference if alcohol was illegal and say pot was legal??
Is the issue one of law-remember at one time alcohol was illegal and coc aine was legal- or is the issue of taking "ANY" drug.

Bye the way, when I say drug I DO NOT!!! Include any prescription medicine anyone needs to live or live comfortably.

My personal example is (I have Chrones disease) and when it gets bad I am prescribed anabolic steroids (by my medical doctor) to control it.

Just remember, nothing is simple with this subject.

[edit on 3/30/2008 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon

For that matter, would it make a difference if alcohol was illegal and say pot was legal??
Is the issue one of law-remember at one time alcohol was illegal and coc aine was legal- or is the issue of taking "ANY" drug.

As I'm sure you are aware, alcohol was made illegal in the US between 1920 and 1933 and it can hardly be described as a success.

Prohibition of any kind encourages and feeds crime and simply does not work.
Education does.

An element of society will always seek to use drugs, it is how the usage is controlled and managed that is important.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Free,
you are absolutely correct. IMO, the banning of certain drugs-pot/coc aine/meth does very little to stop its use-it just pushes it underground.

Also, it puts many people in jail, who have not committed any crime-save for taking illegal drugs.

Just a thought for all of you.

If you see someone arrested for drug use and replace the "drug" with alcohol and all of a sudden it is ok.......think about that for a sec.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join