It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are So Many People On Drugs?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I dont think we are free to discuss drugtaking here. This is not a pro-drug rage.
Please do not post if you think the taking of drugs is ok- I would like some answers

I know since the beginning of time mankind has looked for herbs and concoctions to alter their mood for relaxation, but instead of this problem getting better it is getting much worse.

I think if you have a pain or ailement its ok to get medicinal help. I do it and will continue doing it. But i am talking about just about everyone i come in contact with seeking for any method to give them a high.

God made us in his image, does that include the brain and what we are supposed to feel like?
Did something go wrong in our creation that makes people lie, cheat, rob, go doctor shopping, call neighbors about "connections" etc?

I think if we were created perfectly humans wouldnt have the need to alter their moods just so they could feel "good"
Has society done this to people?

If we are not comfortable in our bodies and have to resort to constant trips to hospitals, different doctors, the streets, i say genetically there is something wrong.

I rarely drink, i do take anti axiety meds because i do have panic attacks, have been taking them for years and i always take my dose. I never have to take to the streets or make phone calls to find out if anyone has any "good stuff" for sale...which brings me to the next point.

People on Public health care seem to be the biggest offenders because they dont pay for their meds. I was in a situation over the week which enlightened me as to all this stuff and i cant go to my new friends house anymore because if anything did go down, i would not want to go down just for visiting.:shk: "Pills for Sale" are EVERYWHERE- and of course its not just confined to pills, there's a ton of other stuff. I was amazed at this seemingly normal GRANDMOTHER of 8 kids and her phone conversations and the unsavory characters showing up at her door.

I'm no prude but i didnt grow up like that and i just dont like that ambiance, (if you know what i mean) its scary.

Anyway, i dont like that lifestyle and maybe its my age but i see it more and more now, just about everyone is looking for a "high"

Mayb its the worlds affairs? Anxiety over what is going to happen to us?

I know Cape Cod is notorious for drugs, but i know its not just confined here and its everywhere.

I guess my question is, why is everyone looking for that ultimate high that could possibly be your last one and give no attention to the fact that they could drop dead anytime?
Is it that we dont value our lives anymore?

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Mod Edit: to remove post due to the following:

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of illegal activities; specifically mind-altering drugs, computer hacking, criminal hate, sexual relations with minors, and stock scams are strictly forbidden.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please no personal drug related experiences are allowed to be posted anywhere on the ATS sites.

Thank you....

[edit on 3/28/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I;'ve still not answered you question

education,or lack of it,is why people take drugs. If people were told the truth about them,then they'd have a far better chance of getting what they want/need out of drugs without getting addicted. Cos people will want to take their minds on trips. Cos they can. It's the lies we're told that make us carry on.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I'm sorry about wht happened to you but you seem to have a grip now and thats good.

You know, i forgot about cigarrettes and coffee. These are also drugs and i do them both. Again, butts for the relaxation, and coffee to stimulate me.

My point is that i think just about everybody has a need to seek an altered state, benign as it may be, and iwonder why we are not capable of living without any substances (most of us).

I can understand pier pressure and all that. I was young once myself, but i really think the worse offenders are the older ones- 40-59 age bracket.
They know better, they tell their kids not to do it, but yet they cant stop.

I used to think it was just out of rebellion that people did these things, but i'm not so sure anymore. I dont think people are comfortable living in their own skin. I think theres got to be a deeper explanation that i'm missing or just dont get.

Maybe being fully conscious is up to humans? After all, the devine entity gave us seemingly all kinds of things to get a high from in the world of plants.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I got to agree with you about the "older" (to me) generation. They condem you for any illegal drug you may take,but then they'll happily smoke a cigarette and down several double brandies,not even noticing the hypocracy.

But the reasons you state are just a few of the reasons why people turn to drugs. Yep,you got rebellion,and peer pressure. There are different reasons though. *snip* I know some people that like to see how far they can push things. (they get fewer as the years go by
RIP you crazy b**tards) *snip*

mod edit: to remove inappropriate drug related material

[edit on 3/28/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Recreational use, yeah, it's easy for some, not for other's.
I know 13 people who have died of heroin overdoses and countless others whose lives are a mess due to the associated crime or addiction.
I know literally hundred's of casual, recreational users who can handle it quite easily.

Why do all these people still continue to use illegal narcotics and be involved in the associated crime that sometimes go's with it?

I don't know.
Probably several reasons for it.
To feel good.
To escape reality.

One thing is certain.
Current drug policy is failing and a radical re-evaluation is required if this is to be addressed.
Prohibition does not work.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Just a reminder for anyone posting on this topic....

ATS Terms and Conditions

2e.) Illegal Activity:
Discussion of illegal activities; specifically mind-altering drugs, computer hacking, criminal hate, sexual relations with minors, and stock scams are strictly forbidden.

But the question stands, "Why Are So Many People On Drugs ?"

I drink like a fish to be social, smoke the ciggies like a fiend to avoid the pain of withdrawal, drink my coffee or tea to get me going when I wake up.
Yes, I'm addicted.

I certainly have a history of illegal drug abuse, but thankfully that chapter is closed in my life and it came with a heavy price. Even after all these years I'd go down that road again if not for self control and the damn court order.

Socially acceptable drugs are a part of our society because the governments promote and profit from them. We grow up being conditioned that mind altering substances will make us happy, or at the very least, forget our pain.
Our brains are hard wired for pleasure, whether that be from sex, drugs, music, hobbies, etc....
People will seek out experiences to stimulate the senses no matter what the cost.:shk:

Why do people take drugs ?
Because we'll trade short term pleasure over long term pain. :bnghd:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
another reason why so many people are on drugs is that it's a taboo. Take a look at my post which was wholey removed. If you can't talk about these things,then where are kids supposed to go for advice?

pathetic.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Good post. Sorry to go all 'Bible Thumper' on everyone but the drug epidemic (legal and illegal) was foretold for the end times. We are told 'pharmacies' would be problematic and widespread at the end. Why this has happened I do not know (although we can speculate) but it is just another sign of the times concerning the downward spiral of society.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Since the 'Dawn of Time' man and animals have been intrigued and subject to 'changes of consciousness'.

[citation redacted]

Not all changes in consciousness occur with consumed chemicals, though all of them are mediated by brain chemicals.

Early humans would use chanting, fasting and dancing to induce a trance state.

Current day meditaters will walk the labyrinth.

Running multi-day marathons, adventure racing and multi-day bicycle stage racing all provide for a mind-altering experience, due to nutritional deprivation, and sleep deprivation.

Common sense would dictate that any modern-day 'mind voyagers' do it with non-illegal substances. However, man always has and always will seek to modulate his consciousness by whatever means.

Perhaps we tend to look down on anyone using the 'wrong methods', seeing them as 'weak'. Those getting their alteration through fasting and exercise are also sometimes deprecated.

*(If you're too thin, prepare to be criticized. Complete strangers will come up to you and say 'eat a sandwich'.)

At any rate, what was the question?

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Why you ask...

... in a few words....

Peope are at a state of EXTREME discontent in our country...

...anyone who is sane, has got to feel bad about the world we live in now...

It is this bad feeling, that leads people to 'self-medicate'...

Instead of feeling depressed at the state of our nation.. they would rather feel numb...

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

There must be some kinda way outta here.

"There''s too much confusion...I can't get no relief.

"Business men...they drink my wine....come and take my herb

~Ducky~

[edit on 28-3-2008 by TheDuckster]

apc

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I know since the beginning of time mankind has looked for herbs and concoctions to alter their mood for relaxation, but instead of this problem getting better it is getting much worse.

If it's been around since the beginning of mankind how can you call it a problem? Seems quite normal and natural.

Everyday perception gets boring. Fast. That's why kids spin around at recess to get dizzy. It alters their perception and is therefore entertaining. Some runners run to get the endorphin high. Some people climb mountains for the thrill of the view. Other people ingest something for the thrill of the view. And others enjoy various internally recreational experiences. Some of these are the most personal, intimate, and awe-inspiring experiences one can conceive.

But then some people sit around all day getting wasted while watching Jerry Springer reruns munching on Funyuns. Then again, some people fall off mountains.

It's all about perspective and personal preference. Instead of casting judgement, why not attempt understanding? I realize that's what you're doing with this thread, but try not to enter into it with an immediate bias. That will only skew every shred of knowledge you take in and will get you nowhere.

>
Oh and on the psych issues, you kinda answered that yourself. You take benzos I'm guessing. Other people prefer smokable medication. Not much difference besides government approval... in most states anyway. I'm of the opinion that no assistance is truly necessary, but to each their own.

[edit on 28-3-2008 by apc]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Good post. Sorry to go all 'Bible Thumper' on everyone but the drug epidemic (legal and illegal) was foretold for the end times. We are told 'pharmacies' would be problematic and widespread at the end. Why this has happened I do not know (although we can speculate) but it is just another sign of the times concerning the downward spiral of society.

Drugs foretold for the end times...really? Widespread, problematic pharmacies. Downward spiral of society. My life has been spiraling up for a lot of years. I guess it's what you make of it....take what God gave you and do the best you can with it.

I would love to see that story about the pharmacies!

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

Check out Big Whammy's thread entitled The Sorcery Conspiracy. He mentions the prophecy in his original post and I tie it into end times prophecies in one of my first comments on the first page then again on a subsequent page.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Thanks for your input, all of you.

Ashley, you do know that as i said there are accounts since the beginning of time man has looked for a way out to escape reality, dont you?
How can you relate this to future prophecies?
In fact, it is even said (I am not very savy on the bible) that Revelations was written by an intoxicated and hallucinating disciple.

My question really is, in a perfectly designed world such as ours, how come we need something for releif, wether its food, drugs, soda, cigs, coffee, or whatever instead of having the capability to do it without the aid of something???

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I'll tell you why we medicate ourselves...check out my latest threads on BTS.

~Ducky~

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I've been working so hard to not derail your thread so I'll answer really quickly and then move on. Yes, it is true that such things have been around since the creation of man. I also noticed you mentioned this in your thread. But the thing is, it would be beyond rampant in the end. Not only mind altering illegal drugs but drugs in general- including prescription medication. And with the war on drugs and the very obvious over medication and addictions in this age, it seems pretty obvious. The bad thing is, it is even predicted to get worse.

As for 'why' we 'need' them. Well, we really don't. Not the illegal substances or things like cigarettes or caffeine. However, it is true in our fallen state we do need medications (I'm asthmatic and have to take a few, myself). Although it is hard sometimes, I like seeing it as a blessing that even though we are under the fallen curse, we still have medicine as a gift to help alleviate our problems.

Sorry. Didn't mean to make your thread my soap box!

*[Bible Bus Peels Out]*...

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
I like seeing it as a blessing that even though we are under the fallen curse, we still have medicine as a gift to help alleviate our problems.

I agree and thanks for opening my eyes up. I also am greatful that i can finally sleep at night when i pop one of mine.
I just wish God had thought of this little glitch more carefully./ or whatever created us (for the non beleivers)

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

Ducky, you're a joy and a great person and i like you under the influence and above the influence.
Whatever floats your boat.
You are the greatest!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join