It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[question] Internet is preventing telepathy?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
I don't believe the internet is preventing anything from developing. You can just turn off your computer and not log onto the net for a whole week and see if you feel better not using it.

True, but most people are like water always seeking the way of least resistance to flow through
. So internet is just a click away from total digital connectivity while getting the telepathy going could take some life-altering changes in your life before getting in tune with the 'network'. Not saying it is that way but i can imaginge people having to get their own anger out of the system in a constructive way and whatever is blocking the happiness before they are able to not be afraid of something so shocking as mindreading/talking etc.

I do know i strife to get away from the hypnotube and internet more often, although i already scratched the tube from my evening-routine so i'm halfway there

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Harman

First you need to demonstrate that telepathy exists, then and only then can you even start to figure out whether it's being replaced. You can't start stacking unknowns upon unknowns and expect to learn anything.

reply to post by Skyfloating

Surely that's your opinion, not established fact. There's no evidence that any of that stuff actually does/did anything or even exists as how purported, so it really has no place in this discussion.

The field of paranormal research will forever be stuck in the dark ages if all it takes to become an established fact is someone somewhere saying it's true without any evidence. That's why this field is completely ignored by mainstream science - the methodology of research, not the subject at hand.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
reply to post by Harman

First you need to demonstrate that telepathy exists, then and only then can you even start to figure out whether it's being replaced. You can't start stacking unknowns upon unknowns and expect to learn anything.

There are pointers that suggest/indicate that our consciousness may reside not only inside our head but outside of it to, for example Link That machine is reading the activity from outside the brain, no implants whatsoever. Als you have the experiment of princeton Link that is able to correlate the tentionlevel to the noosphere ( global concsiousness ) with big events around the world. This is NOT proof of telepathy but it does provide for one very important requirement of telepathy even being able to exist; thoughts not being a local thing. With that out of the way and the fact that a computer Can read your mind i would say that the plausability of telepathy is not a small one

Noticing wen you are being stared at is a crude form of telepathy
Click for more papers
To bad this is the only things i can scrounge up for free on the net

There are 8500 hits on the scholar.google site but those cost money

Anyway, there is circumstantial evidence enough to keep the option on the table without it getting dismissed as unproven, i'd say.

I can understand why telepathy would be a bad thing in a population that is in dire need to be controlled and harnassed into a specific kind of thoughtpatron so we keep quiet while the bigwigs keep clusterf'ing us into oblivion. But there are strands of truth floating out there between the globs of misinfo and such like.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles
Like someone said earlier, we are sitting within the electromagnetic fields generated by our electronics. Our minds generate electromagnetic energy as well......

I am kind of agreeing that the OP has a point and Mr Toodles you are kind of proving it. Our minds use electrical impulses to communicate. Electro magnetics can and do interfere with electronic impulses i.e. The electromagnetic field generated by our computers could therefor be set so that our telepathic channels are disturbed and further more - I can't see why the computer in it self can not serve as a kind of 'mind reading equipment' that search for a certain type of brain wave and when found send a series of impulses to interfere .... in any case I agree that computers are a hinder to spiritual growth. In my opinion they are nothing but another entertainment box to keep us from noticing what is really going on in the world.

"It's a one thing reading about the cold and another thing being out there...."
/IamD1

just another brain fart

I also agree that the internet contain a host of valuable information and an equal amount of ***t.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Harman

Those links show nothing more than the fact that our brains leak, not that any interaction takes place between brains, or that we can even personally detect the activity of others' brains. This has been known for decades. The real prerequisite for telepathy would be our ability to pick up on these signals, and so far no-one has even come close.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by dave420

If something leakes it can be picked up. The fact that what i'm typing here can be picked up with equipment somewhere a few hundred metres away is an indication that it's not proposterous.

The fact that that machine i talked about in the link
abcnews.go.com... is a mindreading machine in case you missed it the first time

Same goes for the other link stating they made a system that reads and reacts on your thoughts. www.foxnews.com...

So yeah, there is definitly evidence that our 'leaks' can be read by machines, the fact that i'm watching my screen and understand what's there, typing this post on the board while thinking what to type next etc. is proof we have a way of reading the signals. So we have a way to read the signals in electronics, we KNOW we can read the signals because we are alive, breathing sentient beings with a heartbeat. The only leap there is to take is that our brains maybe able to pick up the brainwaves of others.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Harman

There's a leak, and there's a useful leak. Just because something leaks doesn't mean to say what leaked can be used to determine what process (a thought in this case) caused the leak. You can't look at water in a sewer and figure out if it came from a kitchen sink, bath, or shower - it's just water. The same is true of our brainwaves - the signals that cause these waves to be emitted are not accurately reflected in the emission, so 'reverse engineering' the leak to figure out what was being thought is not possible.

If you read the link you posted, you'd see that the machine has to get to know the person (for days, weeks, months), then is only right 72% of the time. That's because the amount of useful data we leak is minimal. It's not like moving your TV aerial around until you get a good picture - there's no sweet spot that will give you the contents of the person's brain, just a mix of fuzzy signals that betray very basic, extreme data. Researchers can pick up things like "pain", "discomfort", and "joy", not "I want a hamburger", "I wish Paris Hilton would disappear", or "Let's go blow something up" - that sort of complex thought would throw off all kinds of emissions that would interfere with each other, rendering the resulting output a complete mess.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

Ok, thanks for your thoughts about it. I realised i wanted to try and convince you of the existence of telepathy but that happening is as likely of me being convinced of your idea about it. We both look at the same things with diferent eyes so again, thanks for your explanations about this all
, keeps me grounded so i don't flutter into fantasyland.

But i still think internet and other ways of communication are mechanical alternatives for things we should all be able to do with practice in a bigger or lesser extent just like any other ability.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Besides the point made by Yarcofin about the internet bringing all kinds of information otherwise hard to obtain, it might be that we are being trained for telepathy via our technology.

Imagine everyone would become telepathic because of evolution. With all the untrained minds currently in society it would look utter chaos with all kinds of thoughts going here and there. Person A thinks of person B and A becomes the transmitter and B receives. But does B really want to communicate? You don't know this until you've telepathically asked and B has to respond even if he doesn't want to respond. How about famous people, do they get bombarded by the thoughts of their fans, unable to think for themselves because they constantly have to think "No I don't want to communicate". You'd also have to be very careful what you think of, just a stray thought could end up in someone elses head. People would go psychotic and not know if a thought would originate out of their own mind or just received from someone else. If I had the urge to go get a drink, is it because my body is telling me this or because my neighbour has the thought of drinking and I happen to be so close that I can "hear" him somehow and think it's my own thought?

But if the method to communicate would be by visualizing a mobile phone first, then thinking about punching in someone's number to establish communication it would make things a lot easier. The other person might notice a passing thought or energy, visualize the mobile phone and "dialback". And because of the "off" switch in everday life we would know how to shut off telepathy all together if we wanted to. If I know the concept of a firewall and tcp packets I would have an even better system (a sort of mental firewall) by controlling what I want to receive, in what way and from whom. It would be a very precise system.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I think it's the opposite. i think the Internet HELPS with telepathy. I've been able to read people's feelings over IM's before. I know that makes me sound crazy but I think the net helps us with it, not stops us from using it.

just my 2 cents
Tela

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Hate to be a downer, but tell me HOW people were doing telepathy or teleportation in the 15th century? When I think of 15th century I think of horses; NOT telepathy.

I tend to be open-minded, but this is ridiculous.

Besides, in the middle ages, and now I think, it was/is considered satanic to exercise psychic abilities.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The internet might actually teach us how to be telepathic...if it even exists, teaching us to connect to people many distances away via means of some sort of information transfer. So... Are we learning or forgetting?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I don’t think the internet is keeping Man from developing telepathic powers otherwise we would have been able to use these abilities way before Al Gore decided to invent the internet.

I for one believe Man actually had that telepathic ability once upon a time, but lost it due to some major faux pas.
I am referring to the time which according to Biblical accounts, Man “spoke a single and universal language”. I don’t think Man actually spoke anything during the days of the Tower of Babel, but rather had the ability to communicate telepathically.

Of course this ability was lost, or rather taken away or disabled by God, thus forcing Man to instead rely on grunts and groans in a confused attempt to communicate.
This was how the various verbal languages of today came to be developed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join